Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne gave me a new account number

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne gave me a new account number

I accidentally destroyed my QS card and tried to order a replacement online but the website wouldn't let me, it told me I didn't have any cards "eligible for replacement" and asked me to call them. So I called them and rep said they had to issue me a new account number. I only use it for Uber rides when I'm in a city so I didn't mind the change but I didn't bother to ask why. Has anyone encountered this?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: CapOne gave me a new account number

@Anonymous wrote:

I accidentally destroyed my QS card and tried to order a replacement online but the website wouldn't let me, it told me I didn't have any cards "eligible for replacement" and asked me to call them. So I called them and rep said they had to issue me a new account number. I only use it for Uber rides when I'm in a city so I didn't mind the change but I didn't bother to ask why. Has anyone encountered this?

That does seem strange.  The only thing I can think of is that possibly your card was previously an HSBC (or other bank) account?  If this was the case, they might just want to get you changed over to a 'true' Capital One BIN (BIN is the first six digits of the card number).  My QS1 still has my 'old' HSBC account number.  (Of course, they have had plenty of chances to update my account number since it was bought... I'm just trying to think of possibilities for the OP)

The other thing I can think of that might make them want to change the number is if you're account has upgraded to a World or Signature account.  I don't have a World card, but to access some Signature benefits you have to enter your card number, which requires your account number to be a 'Signature' account number (as identified by the BIN).  I know the credit card issuers aren't always 'prompt' with updating the account number when accounts are upgraded, but it can cause problems if a customer actively uses the Signature benefits.

If neither of these is the case, I'm out of ideas... LOL Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.