Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital 1 FRAUD!

tag
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Capital 1 FRAUD!

Ugh!

I went to check my account a little while ago and was shocked to see my available credit was WAY below what it should have been on my Cap1 CR card. I immediately checked the transaction history and saw 2 transactions from a Meijer store about 40 minutes away from where I live. I had just gotten home from dinner and a stop at CVS, both of which I had used the card at. Called Cap1 right away and they cancelled my card and they are issuing a new one. The rep said I have $0 liability which is nice but still, this is freaking me out. 

I am a stickler when it comes to keeping my wallet with me at all times and my cards organized very specifically within it. I don't ever lend my card to anybody. 

This is my first battle with CC fraud.. sorry for the rant, I just needed to get it out I guess. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital 1 FRAUD!

Sorry to hear, but glad you caught it so quickly!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

the title of the thread is not right, it's not capital one fraud it's just credit fraud / id theft you shouldn't make capital one sound like they cheated you yet lol before finding out about how they deal with it, but i don't like capital one personally but hey they could be ok, i just don't like their subprime cards only the venture card or cash back card is half decent.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 9
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

I guess I'm just really curious about how they do it? 

My card is with me. It's in my wallet. Nowhere near that store. 

I'd understand it a bit more if it was an online transaction since you obviously don't need to show a physical card. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 4 of 9
djrez4
Established Contributor

Your card was skimmed in one of two ways - 

1)  It was physically skimmed - It could have happened at the restaurant or at some other point days ago.  The skimmer reads the info off of the card and can then put it onto a different card.  It creates a duplicate of your Cap One.  Not much you can do about it.

2) It was remotely skimmed - If your card has a fast-pay option, where you can just waive it in front of the scanner, a skimmer can waive an RFID scanner around near your wallet and get the same information as a physical skim.  Load onto another card and go.  Don't get cards with fast-pay (or paypass or zipcard).

Message 5 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

2) It was remotely skimmed - If your card has a fast-pay option, where you can just waive it in front of the scanner, a skimmer can waive an RFID scanner around near your wallet and get the same information as a physical skim.  Load onto another card and go.  Don't get cards with fast-pay (or paypass or zipcard).

Capital One does not have RFID yet. Even so the proper way is to buy wallet that blocks RFID (or stuff aluminum foil inside your wallet). RFID fraud can only occurred when thieve is standing right next to you (its range is extremely short).

Message 6 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, it'll all be OK. It happened to me x2 with a BofA and a Wells Fargo CC. The 2nd time was nail-biting because I was in the middle of the mortgage process. In both times, the CCC caught it and alerted me. One CC was skimmed and had been attempted to be used at a couple of Staten Island CVSs, even though I live in DC. The second incident involved the card being cloned and used at an Asian online site for $1000-worth of lenins and clothes. No liability whatsoever. CapOne will close your account and issue a new CC; a new TL might report too with the other being marked as lost/stolen.

Message 7 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@distantarray wrote:

the title of the thread is not right, it's not capital one fraud it's just credit fraud / id theft you shouldn't make capital one sound like they cheated you yet lol before finding out about how they deal with it, but i don't like capital one personally but hey they could be ok, i just don't like their subprime cards only the venture card or cash back card is half decent.

I'm sure that the OP did not mean to accuse Capital One of fraud. Rather the title is just a little unclear until you read the message body. To the OP; I'm glad you noticed the fraud in time to correct the issue and that you wont be liable for these unauthorized charges! Gj!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 9
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.