Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One 0% Balance Transfer Offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One 0% Balance Transfer Offer

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, didn't mean to bump this thread, but I have the 0% for 18 months (2% fee) offer as well and am considering taking it to transfer a balance from a big purchase I'm going to make either on my CSP or SPG cards. I have $0 balance right now and my account is in good standing. The terms say:

We may decline to process your request for this offer. Your request may be declined if:

• Your account is delinquint, overlimit, charged-off, or closed.
  • You have filed for bankruptcy.
  • Our fraud system prevents the other fulfillment.
  • A term on your account relevant to the offer has changed.

So if none of these apply to me, am I good to go? Will the balance transfer be instantly approved? I asked because I've never done a balance transfer before so I just wanted to be sure.

Also, a card from any of the companies on the dropdown menu on the request page is fair game right? Are there any eligibility issues or restrictions I need to be aware of.  And how will this transfer balance affect my rewards on the card I originally made the purchase on (e.g. CSP or SPG)? Thanks.

You'll be fine.  Transfer will go thru fine.   It's a fairly simple process and nothing unusual so don't worry too much :-)

It won't affect your existing rewards from the card you transfer to.  It's processed as an electronic payment just like if you did a push payment from your bank.

Message 21 of 42
taxi818
Super Contributor

It will be fine. I did one in early September. 4K. Went thru no problem. I wrote check to myself.
Message 22 of 42
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I got an offer via email on Tuesday for my Quicksilver Visa; my offer is 0% APR for 12 months, with a 3% fee.  Historically I've had a 'standing offer' on my Quicksilver One MasterCard with no fee, but it's at the purchase rate from day one.

One thing I noticed that is different about my offer from those mentioned earlier is the lanuguage on avoiding interest on new purchases.  Here's a cut and paste of that part of the text from my offer:

Want to avoid paying interest on new purchases? If you accept this offer, you can avoid interest on new purchases. Pay the Interest Saver Payment (your minimum payment plus all non-promotional balances, including purchases, cash advances, fees, and finance charges) by the due date each month, and you won’t pay interest on new purchase transactions.

I'm not familiar with the 'Interest Saver Payment', but I'm assuming it would be designated on the monthly statement if I were to take advantage of the offer, which I don't plan to.  If the offer was with no fee I would get 'creative' and put it to use, but otherwise at this time I just don't need it (I have 0% on Discover until next October).

Message 23 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an offer, via email a few days ago. The 18 mos surprised me.....they're usually 12 mos. Considering it, but not making any moves until my next CLI, which should be in a few days.

0% / 18 mos / 3% fee

So it costs $300 to borrow $10k for 18mos, basically. That's a darn good deal.  How do those who write a check to themselves get such checks?

Message 24 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got an offer, via email a few days ago. The 18 mos surprised me.....they're usually 12 mos. Considering it, but not making any moves until my next CLI, which should be in a few days.

0% / 18 mos / 3% fee

So it costs $300 to borrow $10k for 18mos, basically. That's a darn good deal.  How do those who write a check to themselves get such checks?

I have read of the "Hassle free" checks but when I read about them, it seems capital one mails the check out to the cardholder's name with the BT amount already specified. I am not sure if one can request blank BT checks for the offers if someone more knowledgeable can answer.

Message 25 of 42
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

The BT checks I received in the mail a few days after the email were blank.

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 26 of 42
elim
Senior Contributor

@MaisCher wrote:
TheBT checks I received in the mail a few days after the email were blank.

yep, blank.  I have had 2 checks (1 for each account) mailed to me each month for the past 3 months.

@   I don't have any balances but I have been paying my CC's after my statements cut for the past few months (in the garden) so they must think i have a balance to transfer.  I buy boats to rebuild in the winter and sell in spring and I'm one short.  I may just write a check to myself and buy another @ 3%.   :]

Message 27 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

0% / 18 mos / 3% fee

I have read of the "Hassle free" checks but when I read about them, it seems capital one mails the check out to the cardholder's name with the BT amount already specified. I am not sure if one can request blank BT checks for the offers if someone more knowledgeable can answer.

My BT checks are always blank. My current offer with Cap1 is BT at current interest rate with no fee.
Message 28 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@MaisCher wrote:
TheBT checks I received in the mail a few days after the email were blank.

yep, blank.  I have had 2 checks (1 for each account) mailed to me each month for the past 3 months.

@   I don't have any balances but I have been paying my CC's after my statements cut for the past few months (in the garden) so they must think i have a balance to transfer.  I buy boats to rebuild in the winter and sell in spring and I'm one short.  I may just write a check to myself and buy another @ 3%.   :]

Make sure to read the fine print to ensure they don't consider it to be a cash advance if you write the check out to yourself.

Message 29 of 42
taxi818
Super Contributor

It's not hidden in fine print. They tell you clearly in bold letters. Checks to your self is not cash advance. Which I did. I wrote 4K to myself. Money was out in bank. No interest for 18 months. Also. Interest will be charged on new purchases of course. But to avoid until the loan as I call it is laid off. Just sd your card. One thing I noticed. The minimum payment is always 1% of total remaining balance. They are hoping you don't pay off. Example. 3600 remaining balance. Minimum pay is 36 dollars. How sad.
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.