Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Account Combination?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Account Combination?

Okay coolbeans, I think I’m gonna hold off and check if I can get a CLI before I do the combination. Cap 1 gave me an auto CLI to 750 recently on my Plat, so I’ll see if they’d be willing to give me a CLI on the QSO that I have first
Message 11 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Instead of ignoring OP which is the last comment before yours and bypassing it to tell ABCD what you think he could add to his already useful and voluntary replies, you could have simply posted that macro with html yourself to answer OP's question that still remains unanswered after your intervention. Just my 2 cents.

Not to get off topic, but I for one LIKE that Irish80 reminds me to explain it each time because his job isn't just to help people with guidance but also to guide the direction of the boards so people aren't lost and confused even more.  So I like that he (she?) whips me everytime I forget.

This +1000.  Let's remember that everyone from a first-time poster to the most seasoned moderator is contributing voluntarily.  Sometimes there are credit concepts that we all taken for granted that everyone is aware of.

---

OP, what is your average age of accounts, and average age of open accounts? It's kind of tricky since your 5 year-old card card is aged considerably more - is this your oldest card?  Chances of going from Quicksilver One to Quicksilver certainly appears lower than Platinum to Quicksilver from data points on this board, but it's not 100% the case.  If the card is your oldest by any substantial amount, I would certainly think twice about closing it.  I closed a handful of cards I opened in the 90s and mid 2000s, and although they stayed on my reports for about 10 years when they fell off there was certainly a sting from losing age of oldest account.

Message 12 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to get off topic, but I for one LIKE that Irish80 reminds me to explain it each time because his job isn't just to help people with guidance but also to guide the direction of the boards so people aren't lost and confused even more.  So I like that he (she?) whips me everytime I forget.

Off topic --whether you like being whipped (sic) or not wasn't my point. Posting his concern about OP's question unanswered while leaving it himself unanswered was my point

Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto CLIs granted by Capital One do not affect the timing of when you can request and get one.  You can request one every month if you want (no HP), and once you get one, set the calendar reminder for 6 months until the next one.

If you don't know when your last manual CLI was, I think they deny the CLI with some verbiage that you already requested one too recently or something.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If it's your AZEO card it could let you post a higher balance for utilization purposes without a ding.  Also might be more usable if you want to make large purchases.

What types of Cap1 cards are they?  Also is the card you'd close your oldest card by a wide margin?

While I added AZEO to the abbreviations thread, you might want to explain it more or link to the definition.  A large number of posters have no idea what it means and I know you use the term a lot which is very helpful but sometimes I think it causes confusion for some.  Just a suggestion.  Maybe create a macro with a HTML link to the definition.

Instead of ignoring OP which is the last comment before yours and bypassing it to tell ABCD what you think he could add to his already useful and voluntary replies, you could have simply posted that macro with html yourself to answer OP's question that still remains unanswered after your intervention. Just my 2 cents.

AZEO = All Zero Except One (account)

List of abbreviations here

Uh, careful there. Might want to read the MyFICO's Forums Terms of Service about discussing Moderator posts/actions which this was. I didn’t ignore the OP (his post and question was not there when I made my post) and there is a reason I suggested to ABCD that he use a macro because he uses the term a lot in his helpful replies.  

Message 15 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AAoA is 1y8m... and yes, that 5-year old QSO is my oldest card out of them all. I opened several new ones earlier this year that dropped my AAOA to what it is now. I don’t think I wanna close the QS one as it’s my oldest...even though it sucks as an account. They only give me like $100 CLI’s at a time.
Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing the QSO after account combination won't affect your age of oldest account now but in 10 years when it falls off it might -- depending on how old your next oldest account is.  It's pretty far away, though, so as long as you have accounts aging well together, I doubt you're too concerned since by then you'll have current accounts aging over 10+ years old.  I wouldn't stress it.

Those $100 CLIs are based on many factors.  Do you post high utilization to your reports?  It's feasible that QSO is in a permanent "dirty profile" tier internally with Capital One, so product change may bust that down.  You'll want to baby it over the next year or two as your FICO8s go up and you qualify for better cards, too.

If your annual fee isn't coming due at any time, and if you actually need 1.5% cashback because you don't get it elsewhere, it might be valuable to sit on it for now.  Or if you use Spotify, you do get 50% back on monthly charges until May I believe.

Message 17 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to post high util always. Just lately I’ve been starting to pay things down and keep them paid down, so you’re probably right, they probably do have me flagged lol. I requested a CLI, would be interesting to see what they offer...I’ve been thinking that once I get a portfolio of cards that really work for me I’ll either get rid of the QSO (because it sucks at this point) or combine it.
Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you let high utilization post on even ONE account, your scores could plummet for that cycle.

In September I was "trapped on a boat" due to Irma and all of my CCs posted a high balance for the first time in months.  My scores fell 40-50 points across the board even though I had the funds in the bank to PIF everything (but one for AZEO) since I couldn't access any phone signal at sea.  It's possible one score fell even more than that with 3 accounts reporting "maxed out".

So you definitely might be looked at by Capital One as a higher risk individual if you're reporting anything high on even one account.  Your FICO8 scores may also jump up significantly if you can get that AZEO to post one month somehow -- and a higher FICO8 score might tell Capital One you're not a risk, and they might give you the CLI you want!

Be aware that if one credit card posts higher than 89% utilization, FICO8 scores it as "maxed out" and the lenders see that when they SP your report regularly to review things.

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhhhhh good to know, I never knew that! I’m going to work to get everything below that level then for future reference. No wonder my Discover It Secured never graduated...
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.