Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Annual Fee with Restricted Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Annual Fee with Restricted Card

Good morning all,

First time poster but been reading the forums for quite some time.  I currently have a Capital One Credit card that is restricted due to some issues I had in the past.  It has been resctricted for almost 3 years and paid off for the past two.  Today when I logged into my account, I noticed it has a $59 annual fee shown on it. 

Early this year, I did speak to Capital One about unrestricting the account since I now bank there and have an auto loan with them as well.  I was told at the time they couldn't do anything other then have me apply for a new card.  The CSA did mention that it was a benefit to me to not close the card becuase it shows a zero balance.

To me it doesn't seem right to charge an annual fee for a card I can't use.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Annual Fee with Restricted Card

I would suggest trying to open a new card(s) to replace this one. It seems some of the reps don't have power to solve some issues and this is one of those cases it sounds like. Like you would need an EO rep to unrestrict the account.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good morning all,

First time poster but been reading the forums for quite some time.  I currently have a Capital One Credit card that is restricted due to some issues I had in the past.  It has been resctricted for almost 3 years and paid off for the past two.  Today when I logged into my account, I noticed it has a $59 annual fee shown on it. 

Early this year, I did speak to Capital One about unrestricting the account since I now bank there and have an auto loan with them as well.  I was told at the time they couldn't do anything other then have me apply for a new card.  The CSA did mention that it was a benefit to me to not close the card becuase it shows a zero balance.

Thoughts?

Now that the fee has posted, call them and see what can be done.  See if they can unrestrict this account yet or remove the annual fee based on it being restricted and not being able to use it.   See if maybe something has changed in your profile since you talked to them earlier in the year (you didn't say when so I don't know how long its been).

Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good morning all,

Thoughts?

Now that the fee has posted, call them and see what can be done.  See if they can unrestrict this account yet or remove the annual fee based on it being restricted and not being able to use it.   See if maybe something has changed in your profile since you talked to them earlier in the year (you didn't say when so I don't know how long its been).

+1

If you can't use the account, it's really not fair to expect you to pay an AF... if the front line CSR is unable to take care of this, I would definitely escalate if it were me.

Message 4 of 5
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

If you can't use the card and they are charging you a fee then close it. Why pay for something you can't even use?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.