Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - Annual Fee

tag
SeandSki
Established Member

Capital One - Annual Fee

Hello Everyone~   I've searched the forums and read several experiences with folks requesting Cap One remove a $39 annual fee for having their card (a lot from prior to 2008 were successful) but..  I just received my statement, noticed the annual fee and called them directly.

The "Sr. Customer Service" rep said he was "unable to waive the fee."   "Are you sure?" says me.  "Unfortunately, yes.  We cannot waive the fee."   "Hmm Is there anything you can do?" says me.  "Unfortunately, no." says the rep.

"I see.  Well, unfortunately, I'm not satisfied with that response. So I think I'm going to pay the balance off (it's only $15  not counting this new fee) and close this account."

"That's your perrogative."  says the Sr. Customer Service rep.

Question/Opinion Request:  Now that they called my bluff, should I really do it?  How badly will this affect my score  (I'm currently at a 791)  but not currently in the market for any new car or house or anything on credit really.  

It just galls me to pay a fee.   I've got another card from U.S. bank that actually pays me back  (1% on purchases)... not a huge amount, but way better than an annual fee no?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One - Annual Fee

IMO, the only reason to pay a fee is if the rewards on a card outweigh the fee...or...if you need the card and are unable to get a different one.

You've got another bank card, so I can't see that this one is needed.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got off the phone with them about canceling my account. The woman seemed she really didnt want me to. She asked about other cards I have, there limits, benefits, age, almost everything there is about them.

Before she would let me close it she offered to remove the AF and add rewards. This is for a secured card. I politely told her no thanks and the account was closed.

YMMV

Message 3 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@SeandSki wrote:

Hello Everyone~   I've searched the forums and read several experiences with folks requesting Cap One remove a $39 annual fee for having their card (a lot from prior to 2008 were successful) but..  I just received my statement, noticed the annual fee and called them directly.

The "Sr. Customer Service" rep said he was "unable to waive the fee."   "Are you sure?" says me.  "Unfortunately, yes.  We cannot waive the fee."   "Hmm Is there anything you can do?" says me.  "Unfortunately, no." says the rep.

"I see.  Well, unfortunately, I'm not satisfied with that response. So I think I'm going to pay the balance off (it's only $15  not counting this new fee) and close this account."

"That's your perrogative."  says the Sr. Customer Service rep.

Question/Opinion Request:  Now that they called my bluff, should I really do it?  How badly will this affect my score  (I'm currently at a 791)  but not currently in the market for any new car or house or anything on credit really.  

It just galls me to pay a fee.   I've got another card from U.S. bank that actually pays me back  (1% on purchases)... not a huge amount, but way better than an annual fee no?

That depends on several factors. Have you read this thread about Closing Credit Cards? It might help your decision.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 11
SeandSki
Established Member

@MarineVietVet:  Thank you!   The Closing Credit Cards post was very informative and did make my decision for me.  I'm closing that account.  It's a low limit card, the interest rate is 4% higher than my preferred card and I'm just not down with paying a fee.

Thanks to everyone who responded for the (as usual) excellent advice! 

R

Message 5 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I recently got a Cap One card w/AF. I didn't realize when I app'd that it had an AF, or else I wouldn't have gotten it. When I called CS, I was told the same thing: they cannot waive the AF. Since I had used the card, I was unable to cancel it w/o paying the fee, so I told them that I would be canceling it the following year, which I plan on doing.

I spoke w/a couple of different reps during a couple of calls (second call was about something else, but I brought up the fee). Both times, told the same thing. I don't think they waive fees. They basically just gave me the option of applying for a CC w/o a fee. That seems to be their answer to everything: apply for a different card. Smiley Surprised

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get the cash rewards card? If you did, it pays for itself quickly. I've had mine a month and earned over $40 in rewards.
Message 7 of 11
clocktick
Valued Contributor

stanggt03 wrote:
Did you get the cash rewards card? If you did, it pays for itself quickly. I've had mine a month and earned over $40 in rewards.

Agreed.  My annual fee is $29 but I lost count of how many $50 gift cards and statement credits I've received.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 11
daylove
Regular Contributor

Generally, if you use the card a lot they are more inclined to waive it, if you hardly use they will not. Honestly, if you have problem with a card with AF you should not apply for it to begin with.

Message 9 of 11
thegooch

read the first post, he did not realize it had an AF . I'd get another card with no AF and close this one. then bank the AF into savings or investments to reward yourself.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.