Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Baffles Me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Baffles Me

My first card of my rebuld was my 99 dollar 200 limit secured MC which Credit Stepped on time to 500 and its been like that ever since.

On the day that card got the steps increase I was preapproved for a QS1 with a starter limit of 300, which I still have today.

March 15, 2017 was the open date of my Secured (Statement Date is always the 11th, credit steps hit right at the six month mark as advertised)

QS1 open date is Sept 12th, Statement date is always the 7th and up until today it has been saying for the last two straight months on the website (the credit steps tracker) that my steps increase will be on March 15th.

So today I log in to review my newly cut statement from last night, and the date has changed to April 14th.

I will answer the following three questions before anyone responds.

1.  I have never paid late, I am always early, sometimes two or three weeks early.

2.  I have never gone over my limit, in fact I have never come within 50 dollars of my limit

3.  I have pushed almost 3000 worth of spend through this card in the six months ive had it (yes, use it and pay it, sometimes same day)

Why is cap one screwing with my dates?  I hopped in chat and the CSR did nothing but copy and paste the Credit Steps program terms (blah blah five payments, blah blah one time increase, etc)  No explanation of why my date changed.

On top of that, my Secured cards year anniversary statement is in three days, and this concerns me greatly as this is the statement that card "should" unsecure at. 

I am baffled.  It seems like Cap One is stringing me along with these toy limits and nowhere to go.

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Baffles Me

Starter accounts are forever seen as starter accounts, regardless of sound credit behavior and profile strengthening. 

You can grab a Capital One card at a time where your credit score is 590 and it won't matter in 2 years if your score is 850, as that account will forever be viewed as a starter account.  Your only option is to give up on it and open a new account under more favorable terms with Capital One.

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that I know BBS, but this is the hard coded limit increase we are promised on account open day if we are in good standing.

For some reason they kicked the can down the road on me

Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke to a second CSR just now.

Clarified to me my actual date should be April 14th?  which is Bull**bleep** because March 12th would be my six month so April 12th at the latest would be my seventh, in any case, still no reason why it said March 15th up until now.

I give up

Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you by any chance have 1 month that a balance did report, causing the month delay in credit steps?

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so  I lied about giving up

Third CSR (man that chats been on fire tonight) - this one seemed to have a clue and had some critical thinking skills

We figured out what happened, and... its kinda bizarre since CapOne has never been known for this (Amex is, but capone has never required what im about to explain)

Credit Steps requires you to make five monthly payments on time.  But, it means those payments have to be generated by the system.

Meaning, if you pay early before your statement cuts and it shows a zero or negative balance reporting to the CRA and thus "no minimum payment due" that month's payment does not count.

So for me, I paid off my QS1 twice in February and once three days ago.  Because I didnt let a balance report last month or this month, the month of March was basically "skipped" internally.  From their end I wont have a balance due for this month either, EXCEPT for the fact that MyFico 3B posted on the same date as my statement cut, and the system will recognize me paying that bill as my last month needed, even though it wasnt on the formal statement.

Sound confusing, it is.  Basically I paid too soon >_>  As in, I paid my bill for the next month before the next month even knew I had a bill.  All of the charges I paid off were in Pending Status and not posted as yet (i was trying to avoid a big Util hit on statement day, so i pushed payment on the 4th, it posted on the sixth, and the pendings didnt post until the 7th on statement day, thus i basically prepaid my monthly bill.)

Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

So essentially I learned today that Capital One Credit Steps is EXACTLY like the Amex Everyday probationary period.  You must generate a statement balance each month and make at least a minimum payment.  Do not pay off to zero more than one month at a time or you will skip months and delay your steps increase.

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Third CSR (man that chats been on fire tonight) - this one seemed to have a clue and had some critical thinking skills

We figured out what happened, and... its kinda bizarre since CapOne has never been known for this (Amex is, but capone has never required what im about to explain)

Credit Steps requires you to make five monthly payments on time.  But, it means those payments have to be generated by the system.

Meaning, if you pay early before your statement cuts and it shows a zero or negative balance reporting to the CRA and thus "no minimum payment due" that month's payment does not count.

So for me, I paid off my QS1 twice in February and once three days ago.  Because I didnt let a balance report last month or this month, the month of March was basically "skipped" internally.  From their end I wont have a balance due for this month either, EXCEPT for the fact that MyFico 3B posted on the same date as my statement cut, and the system will recognize me paying that bill as my last month needed, even though it wasnt on the formal statement.

Sound confusing, it is.  Basically I paid too soon >_>  As in, I paid my bill for the next month before the next month even knew I had a bill.  All of the charges I paid off were in Pending Status and not posted as yet (i was trying to avoid a big Util hit on statement day, so i pushed payment on the 4th, it posted on the sixth, and the pendings didnt post until the 7th on statement day, thus i basically prepaid my monthly bill.)

Exactly what I thought, you had 1 month that a balance did not report, causing the delay.

Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Exactly what I thought, you had 1 month that a balance did not report, causing the delay.

Whats worse is that I literally missed the post date by like 3 hours (the payment posted at 5pm causing a 200 dollar statement credit at the time the statement cut at 8pm or so.

This is what I get for pushing payments.  And here ive been for months saying PIF is overrated, right?  -_-

Message 9 of 35
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Not you to "Thecreditgame". I thought I've seen you post about NOT paying these balances off too fast? 😉

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.