Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Billing Glitch Discovered

tag
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Capital One Billing Glitch Discovered

I also posted this on CreditKarma

NEWS FLASH:  If you overpay your Capital One account or have a zero balance and don't owe any money during your billing cycle, Capital One just discovered a bug in their system where it interprets it as a missed payment.  It just happened to me!  I inquired on my Credit Steps and was told I was un-enrolled due to a missed payment.  WHAAAAT?!?  I send multiple payments every week via MoneyGram (my choice @ 8 bucks, but I charge $100 / pay $125). Never came close to the limit.  They owe me BuKu Bucks!  Their Escalation Account group is on CRACK and have no math skills to un-enroll me without double-checking the statements and payments!  It was a regular customer service supervisor who reviewed my account -- not much history since it's only 6-months old and saw my CREDIT balance was negative -80.xx (they owed me) for the month NOV in question.  He notified Escalation of this glitch and their GOOF and immediately had me re-enrolled in Credit Steps to restart the program after the 3rd statement, then 5th statement -- he saw I received my first step in OCT, but he said What The Heck, we owe ya!  This answers our question of HOW MANY STEPS... I triple-asked him and his answer was "I see the offer of 2 increases: first after 3rd statement then the second after the 5th statement".  I had him check my Rewards Card also, but it was not un-enrolled (still new and didn't get the first step yet), but he confirmed after 7th and 10th statements for my Rewards card.  Keeping you all in the loop who overpay.  He made the fix and all is Gravy now with Cap-1.  No lates, fees, or dings on the credit report... just some glitch in their system for overpayments across billing cycles.   

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Billing Glitch Discovered

A very bizarre and expensive way to handle a CC account.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEWS FLASH: If you . . . have a zero balance and don't owe any money during your billing cycle, Capital One just discovered a bug in their system where it interprets it as a missed payment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has never happened to me and I go for 4-6 months a year with a zero balance and I'm not being reported as having missed a payment.

Message 3 of 8
joestay
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NEWS FLASH: If you . . . have a zero balance and don't owe any money during your billing cycle, Capital One just discovered a bug in their system where it interprets it as a missed payment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has never happened to me and I go for 4-6 months a year with a zero balance and I'm not being reported as having missed a payment.

Did you overpay?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, but the OP said overpay OR have a zero balance.  The way it's written, the consequence would be the same for either circumstance.

Message 5 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

If you overpay, you have negative balance, not zero.   Negative balance is the problem condition.

Message 6 of 8
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

My account has been overpaid (negative balance at statement cut) or $0 every month for more than a year. I've never been reported late. Internally or externally.
Message 7 of 8
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Everyone it missed, thank your lucky stars!  It may have been an application update gone bad during that time affecting only a number of accounts -- don't know, but it touched mine and they neve reported anything until I inquired about something completely different Just Today! (strange that only Escalation knew about it and un-enrolled me from the program, but never said or reported anything).  I'm wondering if that's why many people were complaining about one single Credit Step???

You are correct, Wolf3, the negative balance is the problem condition.  I made a follow-up call for clarity and the gentleman I spoke to earlier was indeed trying to say as an example, 'If you overpay your account (example: less than zero balance)...yadda, yadda, yadda'.  I'm glad we've clarified that phrase or it would've opened a whole separate can of worms. 

Finally, it was not too expensive for me to make sure my payments posted as quickly as possible.  I paid this way to establish a good payment pattern during my first 6 months as well as always having my funds available for immediate use again (no fees).  Next month, I'll begin using their Online BillPay, but NEVER snail mail -- I've read too many horror stories of missing or late physical payments to banks.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.