Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One BuyPower Card CLOSED - Low Limit/No CLI

tag
Espresso
Contributor

Capital One BuyPower Card CLOSED - Low Limit/No CLI

I got a Capital One BuyPower card 3 statements ago. It was a pre-approved mailer. CL ended up being...$300. 

I recently read abotu CLI with the BuyPower card so I called in to request one. They stated it would be a hard-pull but I agreed anyway. The card is now my lowest CL card.

After waiting a few minutes I was told they could not give me a CLI. I then asked to close the account for insufficient credit line.

I've been playing the credit game for a little over a year now. The fact that I can have 4,000 in Capital One cards, others cards with multi-thousand dollar limits, and yet can't get above $300 on a CO branded card blows my mind.

C'est la vie.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One BuyPower Card CLOSED - Low Limit/No CLI

Interesting... So did your report get hardpulled? Also, what was the reason for them denying the CLI?

Message 2 of 10
Espresso
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting... So did your report get hardpulled? Also, what was the reason for them denying the CLI?

Actually, no hard pull. I have monitors set up and I got no report of a HP. That's a positive of the situation.

Yes, two days later. EQ.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Espresso wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually, no hard pull. I have monitors set up and I got no report of a HP. That's a positive of the situation.

Oh good.. So what was the reason for not being able to give you a CLI? That was a terrible limit to begin with...

Message 4 of 10
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Search the forums for BuyPower and you'll see several of us are in the same situation. I got this card with a $300 limit as well, and they refused to budge on the limit. I closed it before I ever even used it.

There was a time late last year where they were finally giving out decent 3-5K starting limits, but that seems to have dried up again. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those with a 300 Buy Power: min e is also 300 but I received a notice shortly after opening that I would get an increase after 5 on time payments, just like the regular credit steps cards. Might be worth keeping open until the 6th or 7th statement.

Message 6 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Search the forums for BuyPower and you'll see several of us are in the same situation. I got this card with a $300 limit as well, and they refused to budge on the limit. I closed it before I ever even used it.

There was a time late last year where they were finally giving out decent 3-5K starting limits, but that seems to have dried up again. 

I been of the belief shortly after landing that GM branded card early in my building that Capital One simply doesn't put any confidence at all in that part of their credit card lineup. I went thru the same ordeal, even contacted the EO after 6 months and lost a HP on the try anyway. I just chalked it up as another lesson and promptly closed it after 1 year.

Since then it's been all flowers and roses with Capital One on this end. It should be viewed IMHO as strictly a starter card that has at best only limited benefits but nothing long term worthy.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it with a 300 limit also , all my scores are low 700s, called to get increase was told they do CL increases every 6 months . I cancelled my card, 2 other Capital cards with 9k total between . I feel GM doesnt give high limits at first so consumers dont get high rewards back for the car buying.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this card count toward the limit of cards you can have with Capital One? 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My personal experience is that their co-branded cards are not handled from the same CS statndpoint (or any other for that matter) as a regular CAP 1 card.

I remember I had an issue with the SAKS MC and when I finally got a rep, he stated that they were trying to get things organized with that AR   I think Saks and GM were purchased from another bank (HSBC?)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.