Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI or APR request?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CLI or APR request?

I paid off my balance on my crappiest credit card -- a Capital One Platinum Visa, $2550 CL, 22.9% APR, $5/mo af.

I was planning on closing the card, but I thought maybe I should see if they will give me a CL or better APR - or both?

My credit scores have gone way up in the last year, probably from 680s to 720s. I really want to improve CL and also want to consolidate with a BT.

Someone posted in another topic that Cap1 rarely grants user-requested CLI. Is this true? What about APR? Or waiving af?  Is it worth the credit pull to ask? Maybe they would convert it to a better product -- like the Capital One Platinum Prestige card that has a good BT offer and better APR?

Or should I just pull the plug completely.

(Interesting to note that my second crappiest card, HouseHold Bank, not far behind, was just purchased by Capital One!)

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI or APR request?

What other cards limits balances?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 14
logan_720
Established Contributor

Well, I don't know about asking, but I have had them contact me and lower my from 19.8, so 15.4, or something like that. Not enough to stop me from closing the card. Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 14
YahComb
Established Contributor

generally with capital one, cli's are automatic and there is nothing we can do to speed it up. They will not accept a user initaited CLI request. All you can really do is maintain a responsible payment history and let your score rise.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 4 of 14
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

Capital One does not grant customer requests for credit limit increases. You should however ask them to waive the Annual fees and lower your APR because they have done that for other customers.

As far as converting the card if you login to your account access and and click "Modify your features" you may get lucky and have an offer to change already.

Message 5 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Id close that card faster than you could say "close my account." $60 af for a cap1? I know venture is $59 but you at least get 2mi/dollar
Message 6 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Close that Capital One credit card.

Capital One does not do CLI, and APR reduction is a joke. They once offered me a 22.99% APR for 6 months, then back to 24.99%.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I logged in and clicked on "Modify your features":

"No offers are currently available for this account.  It's possible that your account status has changed or that you have made changes to this account.
We periodically update offers to this account, so please check back another time.  Thanks for being a Capital One cardholder!"

Guess that's it for this card. WORTHLESS. Household Bank card not much better and $39 annual fee. Will probably close that too once I get a better card. I have a Discover "pre-approved" application on my desk, 0% BT & 14.9% APR. Just dont know which product they'll give me. At least they seem friendly when it comes to product changes!

Message 8 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I logged in and clicked on "Modify your features":

"No offers are currently available for this account.  It's possible that your account status has changed or that you have made changes to this account.
We periodically update offers to this account, so please check back another time.  Thanks for being a Capital One cardholder!"

Guess that's it for this card. WORTHLESS. Household Bank card not much better and $39 annual fee. Will probably close that too once I get a better card. I have a Discover "pre-approved" application on my desk, 0% BT & 14.9% APR. Just dont know which product they'll give me. At least they seem friendly when it comes to product changes!

Modify your features means nothing. They upgraded me from plat to cash rewards after having the account for 2 weeks without anything in modify your features. Call up and ask the executive office. They're helpful. 

Message 9 of 14
ssghandless
Contributor

Do you have the phone number or email via PM for the Executive Office so I could try it? I got the same response as the last user...

4/5/12 TU-635 Ex-634 Eq-646 (Kroll Fact. Home loan)
9/8/10 TU-654 Ex-627 Eq-638
8/1/10 TU-629 Ex-627 Eq-638

Starting Score: 526
Current Score: 635
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.