Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI question(s)

tag
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI question(s)

He said he didn't know, that I'd get a letter.  Ah well, Chase will get my new washer and dryer on their card.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
mauve
Valued Contributor

Got my letter online:

"The reason(s) for our decision are as follows:

- A credit limit increase on your account is not currently available upon request"

Ridiculous.

Message 12 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

This is the letter you're going to get!

Dear:

Thank youfor your recent request to increaseyour credit limit.Weregret that wecannot approvethe requested change.
The reason(s) for our decision are as follows:
Acredit limit increaseon your accountis not currently available upon request
In accordance with our policy, our associates have little powerto reverse this decision.Although we were unableto fulfill
your request at this time, Capital One mayperiodicallyconduct account reviewsand increase the credit lines of those
who qualify.If your line is increased after a CapitalOne initiated review,we will notify you separately.
We look forwardto continuing to serve you as a Capital One customer and regret any inconvenience this may have
caused.

Sincerely,
CapitalOne

Message 13 of 21
mauve
Valued Contributor

yeah, I abridged it down to the "reason" portion.

That "Reason" is BS. 

Message 14 of 21
LS1
New Contributor

I tried the automated cli request via phone knowing it would be denied. The letter I received said my account was too new (8/10). I plan on trying again in a few months to see what the next reason is!

Starting Score: TU 652- EQ 658 - EX 668
Current Score: TU 679 - EQ 681 - EX 681 as of 3.13.11
Goal Score: 700 with all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 21
jj10939
Regular Contributor

I called the backdoor Capital One line a few months back and spoke to a 'senior account supervisor' ahem, or 'script reader with fancy title' and told him very politely that I have been with Capital One for a few years, never late, over the limit, blah, blah and when he looked at my account he said 'wow you have a pretty nice limit with us'...(it's $1,500) which I found amusing that, that is considered a 'nice limit' for Capital One.  I asked for an increase...denied.  Got the same letter.  They changed their policy a couple years ago to where they are only giving CLI based on internal reviews of accounts.  Used to be calling that back door number was a sure thing for a CLI, but now, they give their customer service reps absolutely ZERO power and they are simply only there to de-escalate calls.

Sorry for the long post, but I have also noticed that Capital One is telling customers to apply for a new account rather than increasing one's CL so they may collect another annual fee.  One word...GREED

Message 16 of 21
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Yes, to all that you've mentioned about Cap-1.  I recall this same topics last year when I joined this forum.  Cap-1 discontinued customer-initiated CLI's, but still take you through the motions as if there's some kind of hope -- don't really know why?!?  They promote applying for another card at another tier... they have 3:  1) Limited  2) Average  3) Excellent credit.

This is why you would notice many Cap-1 customers with multiple cards.  Their first is usually their oldest TL, so many are not quick to cancel while others take the plunge and dump it just to find the second card may or may not start you off with a decent limit, but have a higher CL ceiling.

It's a cruel, cruel game.

Message 17 of 21
DI
Super Contributor

Capital One discontinued customer  requested CLIs more than 3 year ago.  I'm almost certain it started in 2007. 

Message 18 of 21
mauve
Valued Contributor

I only bothered because I'd read about a rash of CLIs in late 2010, and I thought some of those were customer-initiated.

Ah well.

Message 19 of 21
vish1
Valued Contributor

Some mentioned about they encouraging you to open new accounts. This is correct, they do, they even lie to you for that. When I had a card with them at 750 CL (june 2010), I asked them if they can give me atleast a temporary increase so that I can buy my air tickets. They told me that I can open another card with them which they can combine. I did so and later when I called them back to combine them, they just declined it. I din't bother much and closed the new card this january.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.