Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CLI questions

Originally, I wanted a QS and Venture from Capital One. I have been reading other threads that state QS1 and Platinum are "subprime" cards and QS and Venture are prime cards.

1) Does any of this being non prime stuff and prime, affect how I get CLI, or is it based on how the account is maintained?

2) Personally, I have a QS1. For best CLI, should i upgrade it to QS or that does not matter?

2.5) If I do this, am I still eligible to apply for QS Visa in the future?

2.9) (ANSWERED ALREADY!) Is QS1 even eligible to upgrade to QS? (ANSWERED)

3) How long should I wait to apply for QS (visa) and Venture?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Officer737
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One CLI questions

On 2.9.......Yes the card can be PC (product change) to a better card. My QS1 got PCed to a Venture One. I asked to convert it to a regular QS with no annual fee and they my card was eligible for both upgrades and it was up to me to decide. 

Message 2 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Originally, I wanted a QS and Venture from Capital One. I have been reading other threads that state QS1 and Platinum are "subprime" cards and QS and Venture are prime cards.

1) Does any of this being non prime stuff and prime, affect how I get CLI, or is it based on how the account is maintained?

2) Personally, I have a QS1. For best CLI, should i upgrade it to QS or that does not matter?

2.5) If I do this, am I still eligible to apply for QS Visa in the future?

2.9) Is QS1 even eligible to upgrade to QS?

3) How long should I wait to apply for QS (visa) and Venture?

I don't follow cap1 to closely anymore, but i'll try to answer to the best of my ability, and I'm sure someone else around here can pop in as well!

1. Cap1 is kind of all over the place with CLIs. I don't know that there is any real "system" to it. I think they throw darts at a board to decide who gets what when. 

2. With cap1 you can't so much "upgrade." You just ask them to remove the fee, and they may. They also may let you change to ventureone, but theres worse rewards on that card, so it seems pointless. 

2.5 You can have two of the same cards, though I'm not sure why you would want them. 

2.9 See 2

3. I'd skip applying for the QS and ask them to remove the fee on your QS1. If you feel you can qualify for the Venture, and it serves a purpose for you, go for it. A lot of people report getting ridiculous credit limits on that card, but it shouldn't be your only reason to app. Think about what you would use it for, and then app for it. 40k points dont mean anything if you dont have a use for them. 

=] 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Officer737 wrote:

On 2.9.......Yes the card can be PC (product change) to a better card. My QS1 got PCed to a Venture One. I asked to convert it to a regular QS with no annual fee and they my card was eligible for both upgrades and it was up to me to decide. 

Alright, 2.9 is answered. Now the others Smiley Happy. Thanks for answering. I would like to see others take on the rest of the questions.

Message 4 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I was offered the upgrade to regular quicksilver, even though I had the fee removed in May 2015. I was "TOLD" it would look more as a "prime" vs "sub prime" card. Have not called yet for another round of lower the apr. right now, have CU at fixed 10.5, and Amex at 10.49 (my sig is off). Putting more emphasis on cards that actually grow, vs cards that stay stuck.
Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

their subprime cards (platinum and QS1) grow much slower as far as i have seen. their regular visa cards appear to grow faster but they do like you to actually use them. i would try to PC to regular QS visa once your card hits $3k or so. even if you do that you're still eligible for another QS visa but it's kind of redundant unless you just super duper bad want that $100 bonus
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
their subprime cards (platinum and QS1) grow much slower as far as i have seen. their regular visa cards appear to grow faster but they do like you to actually use them. i would try to PC to regular QS visa once your card hits $3k or so. even if you do that you're still eligible for another QS visa but it's kind of redundant unless you just super duper bad want that $100 bonus

I thought QS MC can't PC to QS VISA? My SL on the QS1 was 3k. First statement still not out. Should cut on the 3rd

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

you can't. my bad lol.
Message 8 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does any of this being non prime stuff and prime, affect how I get CLI, or is it based on how the account is maintained?

Primary factors with all creditors are one's credit profile and income.  It is never just about the account itself with a given creditor but one's entire credit profile.  Starter/builder cards may be capped in what they can grow to.  Some can be PC'd, some can not.  I can't speak to CO specifically but some seem to be able to PC and some do not.  Some had to go through the EO.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been reading other threads that state QS1 and Platinum are "subprime" cards and QS and Venture are prime cards. 

Prime and subprime are subjective and aren't relevant to cards anyway despite the common misuse of the terms.  They're relevant to consumers.

Whether or not a consumer is prime/subprime will certainly impact CLI's.

Message 9 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought QS MC can't PC to QS VISA? My SL on the QS1 was 3k. First statement still not out. Should cut on the 3rd

You can't change networks, but if you have a QS1 MasterCard, you can PC to a no-AF QS MasterCard. 

That's how I got mine.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.