Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - CLI?

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Capital One - CLI?

I have a Capital One CC that only has a $750 limit. For the last 4 years since I got the card, it's been maxed out (finishing school, some unemployment, etc). However, it was never paid late. I just paid the card off in full so the balance is now $0. However, my overall credit is still rough because of 1) a handful of student loan charge-offs and 2) high util % overall (still working on that!). My credit scores are in the mid-500s.

Anyway, here's the question - what is the liklihood that Capital One will increase my credit limit? Is it likely that they'll see the card is now paid off and therefore, increase the credit limit on their own? Or, if not, and I need to actually request a CLI, how likely is it that it would be approved based on what I've described above?

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One - CLI?

From what I understand and have seen firsthand, Capital One will not give you a customer initiated CLI.  

I have two cards from them...one started out at $1500 (2007) and the other one at $750 (2008).  The $750 one was increased to $3000 after about 6 months.  About 2 weeks after that, the financial crisis began.  I have yet to receive any love since then, auto CLI or customer initiated.     

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 17
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

visorboy - thanks for the information. Sounds like I need to just be patient and hope they give me a CLI after time with a low balance and continue to improve my credit score.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 3 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@MBOhio2 wrote:

I have a Capital One CC that only has a $750 limit. For the last 4 years since I got the card, it's been maxed out (finishing school, some unemployment, etc). However, it was never paid late. I just paid the card off in full so the balance is now $0. However, my overall credit is still rough because of 1) a handful of student loan charge-offs and 2) high util % overall (still working on that!). My credit scores are in the mid-500s.

Anyway, here's the question - what is the liklihood that Capital One will increase my credit limit? Is it likely that they'll see the card is now paid off and therefore, increase the credit limit on their own? Or, if not, and I need to actually request a CLI, how likely is it that it would be approved based on what I've described above?

When you checked your scores, had your 0 balance posted or you checked before the balance could post. In any case, I will suggest, letting a small balance say 10 post and then check your scores. They may be way higher that what you see now. Remember util is abt 35% of your score and absolute 0 is no good either (I am assuming this is your only credit account)

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 17
Smug
Established Contributor

My 6 month old card went from300 to 1300 today.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 5 of 17
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Wooooo!!!  U GO, SMUG!!!  I know u did both the Song & Dance already.... "oooow!  I feel Gooood!  (Da, da, Da, da, Da, da, Dum) I knew that I would".  Congratulations!!!  Now, I'll move over and be YOUR Cap-1 side-kick -- you're the lead!!!

Message 6 of 17
mauve
Valued Contributor

30%, actually.  Payment history is 35%.

vish1 wrote:

MBOhio2 wrote:

When you checked your scores, had your 0 balance posted or you checked before the balance could post. In any case, I will suggest, letting a small balance say 10 post and then check your scores. They may be way higher that what you see now. Remember util is abt 35% of your score and absolute 0 is no good either (I am assuming this is your only credit account)

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

I'm glad I fired Capital One!!  To me all of its cards and the Capital One brand is subprime. 

Message 8 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@mauve wrote:

30%, actually.  Payment history is 35%.

@vish1 wrote:

@MBOhio2 wrote:

You got it right. My bad

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 9 of 17
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

I'm glad I fired Capital One!!  To me all of its cards and the Capital One brand is subprime. 

They actually have one of the better subprime programs out there with the credit steps program.  Definitely much better than HSBC and First Premier.  The only thing that I think stinks about them is the fact that you can't graduate to a rewards card from a subprime card without another application.  Their prime offerings aren't bad...a little high on the interest rate, but not bad.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.