cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Cash Rewards Card Activation Horror!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Cash Rewards Card Activation Horror!

Talk about a horror story with Capital One. The first card they sent was never received so they resent me a new card/new acct# via express mail. I received it very quickly and dialed the number to activate.  Lo and behold I get the US call center who then transfers me to th PI call center and thus begins the nightmare:

To the CEO of Capital One,
I am sending this message to let you know of my frustration with the whole setup on activation of this card. First of all, I get non-English speaking people from the P.I. who have the nerve to tell me they can't verify my phone numbers. Duh, of course not because I'm calling from my work phone and an official phone which is assignmed by my work and they are cross checking against some national phone database. Then I have to call back cause they hang up, then I get a more incompetent person who tells me to fax in, not one but three documents that has personal and confidential information and she wants me to fax it in to a line that I won't know might be intercepted by hackers. Then I speak to the 3rd and final person Marlette and she tells me to fax in a passport, a ss# card, a utility statement and put my credit card number on all the pages. She wants to me put my credit card info via fax? Are you kidding me, for a company that stands on fraud and consumer protection you want me to do this? What other stupid and incompetent thing do they want me to do to verify myself after I gave them my ss, my DOB, my online information. After all this hassle, I just want to cancel this card. Please send me confirmation that this card is cancelled! Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Cash Rewards Card Activation Horror!

Maybe call the backdoor number.

They based in US center.......you actually speak to English speaking ppl Smiley Very Happy

Watch this and calm down a lil bit Smiley Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCH1FAogCSQ

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Isnt the activation line automated?

And why not just activate from the phone number on your account. Most banks and CCCs only let you activate from the phone number on your account for security reasons.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I needed that Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought, I called the number on the sticker and that's how this all happened. Apparently because I didn't receive the first card so I'm being punished for ID fraud of some sort.

Message 5 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

To the CEO of Capital One,
I am sending this message to let you know of my frustration with the whole setup on activation of this card. First of all, I get non-English speaking people from the P.I. who have the nerve to tell me they can't verify my phone numbers. Duh, of course not because I'm calling from my work phone and an official phone which is assignmed by my work and they are cross checking against some national phone database.

This "non-English speaking people" is doing his/her job. You have to call in using your home number. Credit card thieves don't have access to your home number.

Then I have to call back cause they hang up, then I get a more incompetent person who tells me to fax in, not one but three documents that has personal and confidential information and she wants me to fax it in to a line that I won't know might be intercepted by hackers.

Again, this person is doing her job. Since the call comes from non-home number, it is deemed suspiciously and you have to prove your identity by faxing in documents. Credit card thieves would call in using a non-home number.

Then I speak to the 3rd and final person Marlette and she tells me to fax in a passport, a ss# card, a utility statement and put my credit card number on all the pages. She wants to me put my credit card info via fax? Are you kidding me, for a company that stands on fraud and consumer protection you want me to do this?

That is exactly why they want to do this. Do you want credit card thieves to steal your mail, activate your card, and go crazy shopping? They are required by federal law to fulfill their due dilligence.

What other stupid and incompetent thing do they want me to do to verify myself after I gave them my ss, my DOB, my online information. After all this hassle, I just want to cancel this card. Please send me confirmation that this card is cancelled! Thank you.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I do believe they are doing a good job at making sure they have the right person, but when I say incompetent I got blown by the fact that I did call from my home phone, then they asked me to call from another phone, so I called from my work phone and another phone in which were the numbers listed on the application. It was when the first agent asked me to fax in 3 documents and could not ensure to me the security of the line. Then I called back and spoke to person #2 in which she put me on hold for 5 mins and eventually hung up on me. Then person #3 was the end of the straw when she asked me to send in 3 documents along with a cover sheet indicating my "full" account number on top of the page.  No not just the last four of the cc like I asked but the full account number.  When I said, how do I know the fax will not be intercepted by someone else and they have my cc number and personal information of myself, she proceeded to tell me "oh, its okay, we can reissue another account if that happens.".

So, no I'm not okay with the whole process and I just do not need to bank with Capital one if the hassle is at the beginning of my relationship with this bank.

Message 7 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I do believe they are doing a good job at making sure they have the right person, but when I say incompetent I got blown by the fact that I did call from my home phone, then they asked me to call from another phone, so I called from my work phone and another phone in which were the numbers listed on the application. It was when the first agent asked me to fax in 3 documents and could not ensure to me the security of the line. Then I called back and spoke to person #2 in which she put me on hold for 5 mins and eventually hung up on me. Then person #3 was the end of the straw when she asked me to send in 3 documents along with a cover sheet indicating my "full" account number on top of the page.  No not just the last four of the cc like I asked but the full account number.  When I said, how do I know the fax will not be intercepted by someone else and they have my cc number and personal information of myself, she proceeded to tell me "oh, its okay, we can reissue another account if that happens.".

So, no I'm not okay with the whole process and I just do not need to bank with Capital one if the hassle is at the beginning of my relationship with this bank.

So which number did you put down on the application? If you did put work number down that is the number you supposed to call in from.

Full account number alone is not enough for a credit card fraud. You also need either CVV or your magnetic strip being skimmed once. nicholasyud made a good suggestion, backdoor number.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.