Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Cash (rewards) Card

tag
h4ldol
Contributor

Capital One Cash (rewards) Card

I'm surprised how no one talks abond this card, which I found out about recently. 

Basically, it's 1% cashback on purchases with no limits (quarterly, annual, etc.) on cashback accumulated, plus a 50% yearly bonus on cashback that you earned during the year (so if you got $300 cashback, you would get an additional $150 at the end of the year for a total of $450), effectively making this card a 1.5% cashback on all/general purchases card.  No rotating catagories for higher cashback rates like many other cards though, but the 1.5% on all purchases seems awesome to me.

It seems like it would be a good card for general purchases that you could supplement with a grocery/gas card (like AMEX BCE/BCP or BoA Cash Rewards card) to maximize cashback potential.

Of course, it's Capital One so you may get a low CL and won't be able to request CLI so that is a drawback, but I have read that people can get pretty high CL with the Capital One 'excellent credit' CC (like the Cash card).

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
logan_720
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Cash (rewards) Card

I once was considering this card, which I quickly shrugged off. I would rather get a rotating card, such as the Freedom, or Discover more that will guarantee me credit limit increases, and will only do one hard pull.

Message 2 of 9
h4ldol
Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

I once was considering this card, which I quickly shrugged off. I would rather get a rotating card, such as the Freedom, or Discover more that will guarantee me credit limit increases, and will only do one hard pull.

That does seem to be the main drawback with this, and all Capital One, cards.  I don't so much mind the HP but would hate to get a CC that sticks me with a lame CL and that is difficult to ever get to a target goal CL.  

And yet, if I had this card I think I would use it enough that Cap One would hopefully increase the CL steadily.  Alas, I have already reached my personal five credit card limit (that is, after my AMEX Gold is closed in the near future) so I cannot app this one.  

Message 3 of 9
logan_720
Established Contributor

There's just never any way to tell with Capital One. For example, I previously had two cards with them, both had gone through Credit steps and stood at $750 a piece, both were paid off. I then went and apped for the Playstation card because of the $50 voucher I would get if approved. Instead of starting me out at $750, or higher, where my other cards stood, they gave me a $500 limit. I would close my other card, but 1.) I haven't found a card to replace it to offset the lost credit and rise in utilization I would see and 2.) My credit score would jumo significantly as my Capital One accounts are my oldest. Which is why I am currently gardening, so that I can get a really good prime card, then close my Capital One accounts so that getting approved wont be a problem. 

Message 4 of 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

DW applied for the Green "Cash Card" last month - the average credit one. $2000 CL, 17.90 APR, 9 months 0% intro rate, $39 AF. This card is also in the "steps" program with an increase to $3000 after 6 months.

2 weeks ago I looked at this card but went for the Platinum Prestige Card instead because of the 15 month 0% intro rate. $7500 CL, 14.90 APR after the intro, no AF.

I've made no secret about how I don't care about "rewards cards" even though I have a few, I much prefer 0% financing for 15 months or zero percent on a $149 purchase such as Amazon or $249 on Firestone, etc. I typically PIF every month on just about anything that's not on a zero percent promotion. I also don't care about mega credit limits as the only time my utilization would make a difference is if I was applying for new credit and that's easy to fix in advance (I'm currently running at about 4% total having 1 account using a zero percent offer).

Message 5 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I have last years model (2% gas, grocery, 1% everything else).  I like you can get the cash credited to your account in 1 day.   Very happy with CL $3500.

Message 6 of 9
h4ldol
Contributor

Nice CLs!  I really don't need another credit card, having just gotten three new ones in the last month, but I am intrigued by this one. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
Gollum
Established Contributor

@h4ldol wrote:

I'm surprised how no one talks abond this card, which I found out about recently. 

Basically, it's 1% cashback on purchases with no limits (quarterly, annual, etc.) on cashback accumulated, plus a 50% yearly bonus on cashback that you earned during the year (so if you got $300 cashback, you would get an additional $150 at the end of the year for a total of $450), effectively making this card a 1.5% cashback on all/general purchases card.  No rotating catagories for higher cashback rates like many other cards though, but the 1.5% on all purchases seems awesome to me.

It seems like it would be a good card for general purchases that you could supplement with a grocery/gas card (like AMEX BCE/BCP or BoA Cash Rewards card) to maximize cashback potential.

Of course, it's Capital One so you may get a low CL and won't be able to request CLI so that is a drawback, but I have read that people can get pretty high CL with the Capital One 'excellent credit' CC (like the Cash card).

It's a Capital One MasterCard rewards card with a variable APR 12.9% - 20.9%, depending on the applicant's FICO scores and credit history.

If you qualify for it, you qualify for other cards, so you have a choice:

Capital One, or a Credit Union or local bank that offers better terms.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

+1

5% rotating categories is better to me.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.