Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - Citi - Discover Growth

tag
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Capital One - Citi - Discover Growth

Hi again everyone

I was wondering how freely credit card companies allow its card holders to switch, gradudate, and upgrade between their cards.

I plan on applying for a student card soon from one of these issuers to start building my credit, however, will I be able to graduate from a student card to a  full-fledged card? I also noticed by lurking on the forums that some members have been able to upgrade from totally different cards (capital one platinum to quicksilver) and I assume they don't lose their credit history/AAoA by upgrading this way. 

So basically which of these three companies will allow me to grow the most (both CL and better tiered cards)

1. If I get a Discover IT card for students, will I be able to graduate to a regular IT card?

2. If I get a Citi Dividend for students, will I be able to gradudate to the regular Dividend card?

3. From the regular Citi Dividend card will I be able to upgrade to a Visa signature/MC World or will I have to apply separately?

4. Will the Capital One Journey student card (or the secured mastercard) be able to graduate to a unsecured Capital One mastercard?

5. I noticed that a member recently posted that his Capital One platinum mastercard was able to upgrade to a Quicksilver card. What do I do to replicate his steps?

EDIT: Which company do you recommend for an individual who dislikes opening/closing too many credit cards? (essentially, which company will allow me to open just 1 credit card and allow me to grow the most from it?)

Thanks everyone.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Jungook
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One - Citi - Discover Growth

Would be great if anyone could shed even a tiny bit of info for me.

Thanks

Message 2 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Jungook wrote:

Hi again everyone

I was wondering how freely credit card companies allow its card holders to switch, gradudate, and upgrade between their cards.

I plan on applying for a student card soon from one of these issuers to start building my credit, however, will I be able to graduate from a student card to a  full-fledged card? I also noticed by lurking on the forums that some members have been able to upgrade from totally different cards (capital one platinum to quicksilver) and I assume they don't lose their credit history/AAoA by upgrading this way. 

So basically which of these three companies will allow me to grow the most (both CL and better tiered cards)

1. If I get a Discover IT card for students, will I be able to graduate to a regular IT card? yes 

2. If I get a Citi Dividend for students, will I be able to gradudate to the regular Dividend card? yes

3. From the regular Citi Dividend card will I be able to upgrade to a Visa signature/MC World or will I have to apply separately? yes if you get to 5K

4. Will the Capital One Journey student card (or the secured mastercard) be able to graduate to a unsecured Capital One mastercard? no

5. I noticed that a member recently posted that his Capital One platinum mastercard was able to upgrade to a Quicksilver card. What do I do to replicate his steps? Call or email EO or facebook

EDIT: Which company do you recommend for an individual who dislikes opening/closing too many credit cards? (essentially, which company will allow me to open just 1 credit card and allow me to grow the most from it?)

Thanks everyone.

And the term is called PC not graduate only secured card graduate

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 4
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Bofa wells and citi offers the student version ccs and people have had them graduate to regular ccs once they get jobs after grad or income rises. As far as pc, it all varies by lender. Bofa allows pc...not sure about wells or citi as I don't have experience there...basically if you get student version ccs I don't see it being a problem changing or graduation once you finish school and obtain a job. For instance my wells bank account is still a student account and they recently sent me an offer to apply for cc...albeit student cc...but in the disclaimer it says if income is higher than 15k app for regular cc...hope this helps Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.