Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Combine

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Combine

When combine cards, does the 6 month rule apply to just the donor cards, or the receiving card too?  Say if you currently have two cards and app for a new one, can you put those two older cards into the new one right away?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Combine

@Anonymous wrote:

When combine cards, does the 6 month rule apply to just the donor cards, or the receiving card too?  Say if you currently have two cards and app for a new one, can you put those two older cards into the new one right away?

Nope...each account that you want to combine has to be 6 months or older and one has to have a zero balance reporting.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speaking of Capital One; what are the chances that they'll waive my AF on my QS1 (1 year old on 7/2016) which I've tried on many occasion to PC to QS? If they refuse I'm going to have to combine it to my QS because it's not worth paying $19 since that would force me to use their card to make up for the AF when I prefer to use credit cards with higher benefits.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well when I called to try and PC my QS1 to a regular QS, I told the rep I didnt want to pay the annual fee hence the inquirement about trying to PC. What the rep told me was that I can call in before the AF hits to have it waived no problem so take that FWIW lol.
Message 4 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope...each account that you want to combine has to be 6 months or older and one has to have a zero balance reporting.

This is the way I understood it to be also

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to combine two cards that were over 6 months old into my venture that was only 4 months old.

I had to do them one at a time but it let me do it back to back.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the way I understood it to be also

I believe copper44 is misinformed. You can combine it as long as the donor card is 6 months old. The accepting card doesn't have to be. I am also able to combine my 6+ month old card into either of my 2 cards that are only 5 months old. 

Message 7 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

To be fair to everybody, at first the six-month age rule was enforced on both cards... that's the entire reason I was unable to combine at the very beginning (my QS Visa Sig was too new).  Otherwise I would have done so and avoided the QS1 AF back in 2015 instead of begrudgingly paying it one last time.

That being said, they seem to have 'relaxed' the requirement now, so many folks have been able to combine into a card newer than six months.  Smiley Happy

In other words, technically everybody is correct.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

To be fair to everybody, at first the six-month age rule was enforced on both cards... that's the entire reason I was unable to combine at the very beginning (my QS Visa Sig was too new).  Otherwise I would have done so and avoided the QS1 AF back in 2015 instead of begrudgingly paying it one last time.

That being said, they seem to have 'relaxed' the requirement now, so many folks have been able to combine into a card newer than six months.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the clarification. You learn something new here everyday Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. You learn something new here everyday Smiley Happy

Yep!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.