Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One...Combining Credit Cards

tag
Pvnolgrch
Established Member

Capital One...Combining Credit Cards

Hey there, New to the Board,

Does anyone know as of recently if Capital One is combining credit card accounts?

I got my first Cap one card in Feb 10, with a CL of $300. Was upgraded to $500 a month and a half ago. I just recently got approved for another Cap one card (this time rewards card) with a CL of $500. I was thinking of combining both so that I don't have so many open accounts everywhere.

I currently have a NFCU (just got approved) NRewards CC with a $7,000 CL and a BB Rewards Zone Visa (Limit unknown as of yet). So I want to start consolidating soon.

I have read on the boards that people don't "think" it can be done, but does anyone know for sure?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One...Combining Credit Cards

I'm pretty sure they no longer combine cards as of very recently.

You can call the backdoor number and ask.... 800-889-9939

EDIT: if you do call, let me know what they say, i'd also like to combine my accounts.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 2 of 11
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I have called many times in the last few month. Every time I get a firm, NO.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 3 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Capitol One has made a name for itself in giving poeple multiple low limit accounts so they can generate all those fees.  If you are able to, I would look at another CCC. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 11
Pvnolgrch
Established Member

@   jthedges 

I just got off the phone with Cap1, they are not combining cards. 

Message 5 of 11
Pvnolgrch
Established Member

I looked at another CCC and didn't know I was approved for a $7,000 CL until After being approved for the Cap1 card first. So then I thought I'll combine both Cap1 cards down the line, then I found you can't. Now I'm contemplating closing one of the two Cap1 cards within the next year or so. 

Message 6 of 11
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I would just keep them both. May as well, let them both age and just dont use the small one. Also, you never know if in the future they will start allowing combining of cards again. 

800+ Club
Message 7 of 11
Pvnolgrch
Established Member

You make a point, both have a $500 CL, one standard Plat and the other Rewards. I guess I'll pay them down to zero, use the rewards for groceries and gas and the other, I'll buy gum or something once every two months. 

Message 8 of 11
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Ha. Thats what I do with my Crap1 cards. I buy little pointless things like movie tickets, etc. Or when I shop online. I figure, if someone gets hold of one of those accounts or I lose the card, etc, there is much less damage they can do as compared to any of my big CL cards.

Long ago, in a galaxy far away. I had an orchard card with a $500 CL that I had for many many years. It was my "going out" card, I used to for when I would go to music shows, or bars, etc. I lost it one time, and the thief used it to the max.

Thankfully they didn't do too much damage, about $210 in fraud charges before it maxed out and thankfully security tracked down the thief cause the tab they had opened was much more than my avail credit line on that card and the venue obviously wanted to get paid. 

I reported it stolen the next day, and called the venue and they knew exactly about my card, cause the guy that ended up paying used his OWN credit card and as such they had the info. I gave it all to a detective and the went and arrested him at his house that evening.

Just goes to show you, sometimes a small CL can be a good thing. 

800+ Club
Message 9 of 11
Pvnolgrch
Established Member

hahaha I have two, so one for gas and one for going out...hahaha even though my NFCU card is going to be my main card from here on in. I need to show that I can handle a $7k limit so that my credit score improves.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.