Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Card Limits.....

tag
bandlp08
New Contributor

Capital One Credit Card Limits.....

Hey Everyone!!!!!!!!!!        I have a question cause I have heard so many different things.  I have a Capital One Plat Card limit is 750 , Capital One Sparks Business Card limit 750 and  a Orchard Bank Card limit of 320 which was just taken over by Capital One. Had all of them for over a year. They wont go up on the limits. Which really sucks to me. I pay on time and I dont go over my limits.

So here is what I dont understand. I asked them for limit increases 2 times on each one. I was always declined. So last week I applied for a Sony and Orbitz Credit Cards wich is through Capital One. Both were approved. Sony for 300 and Orbitz for 500. Why if I dont qualify for a increase will they give me 2 New cards???? Is there something Ican do? I really want to have more of a limit.  Anyone have any ideas

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Card Limits.....

so let me get this straight, you have a total of 5 cards with low limits. im not trying to be harsh but if you want better limits you need to take your business elsewhere. cap one is great for building/rebuilding but thats it. once you make it to primeville its time to move on. how many accounts do you have accociated with cap one?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@bandlp08 wrote:

Hey Everyone!!!!!!!!!!        I have a question cause I have heard so many different things.  I have a Capital One Plat Card limit is 750 , Capital One Sparks Business Card limit 750 and  a Orchard Bank Card limit of 320 which was just taken over by Capital One. Had all of them for over a year. They wont go up on the limits. Which really sucks to me. I pay on time and I dont go over my limits.

So here is what I dont understand. I asked them for limit increases 2 times on each one. I was always declined. So last week I applied for a Sony and Orbitz Credit Cards wich is through Capital One. Both were approved. Sony for 300 and Orbitz for 500. Why if I dont qualify for a increase will they give me 2 New cards???? Is there something Ican do? I really want to have more of a limit.  Anyone have any ideas

Sony and Orbitz will expect Capital One to approve their cards if the you qualify, they don't care how many Capital One cards you have.   Capital One wants to you to only have 2 of their normal cards.   

I suspect Capital One will be coverting the Orchard cards to one of their varieties, and that would be the time to ask for a PC of both to a single better card with them.  

Message 3 of 20
bandlp08
New Contributor

I have 5 with Capital One.  I guess I should give you back ground. I had a bankruptcy discharged in Nov of 2009. So I am just starting over.  Capital One was the first to give me a chance and I know they are poop but hey I had to start somewhere.  I have...........

Capital One Plat $750

Capital One Sparks Business $750

Capital one Sony $300

Capital One Orbitz $500

Orchard Bank which is now Capital one $320

First Premier $300

Merrick Bank $700

Credit One $500

Maurices Store Card $250

Catherines Store Card $150

Firestone $900

Yes there are a few there. I tried to get a mix of cards and Heck I will be the first to admit some are poop but in all honesty I thought I was doing good and building credit but  I have not got above a 630 score across the board. The Sony and the Orbitz have rewards which I like.  All cards have less than 28% balance if any balance at all.  I make around 89,600 a year.  So if anyone can help me out maybe tell me what I can do to increase limits or should I get rid of one or two of them. If so which ones. I want to  have bigger limits and bump my score up. I would love to see a 700!!!!!!

Message 4 of 20
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

OP it will be difficult to get new creditors to approve you for high limits cards with so many low limits cards. I would hold off on applying, even closing a few overtime (provided you have no balance on remaining cards) and then apply for a few prime cards.
Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 5 of 20
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@bandlp08 wrote:

I have 5 with Capital One.  I guess I should give you back ground. I had a bankruptcy discharged in Nov of 2009. So I am just starting over.  Capital One was the first to give me a chance and I know they are poop but hey I had to start somewhere.  I have...........

Capital One Plat $750

Capital One Sparks Business $750

Capital one Sony $300

Capital One Orbitz $500

Orchard Bank which is now Capital one $320

First Premier $300

Merrick Bank $700

Credit One $500

Maurices Store Card $250

Catherines Store Card $150

Firestone $900

Yes there are a few there. I tried to get a mix of cards and Heck I will be the first to admit some are poop but in all honesty I thought I was doing good and building credit but  I have not got above a 630 score across the board. The Sony and the Orbitz have rewards which I like.  All cards have less than 28% balance if any balance at all.  I make around 89,600 a year.  So if anyone can help me out maybe tell me what I can do to increase limits or should I get rid of one or two of them. If so which ones. I want to  have bigger limits and bump my score up. I would love to see a 700!!!!!!

Your BK is less than 3 years old and it looks like you are doing very well to me.    Patience will get you there more than anything.

If you are really anxious, you could try a large limit secured card as it might help with bigger CL over time.

Message 6 of 20
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

well the candlelight at the end of your tunnel is that your bk is 3 yrs old and you have pretty good income. i would close all but 3 cards then open a secured card through a local cu and put down a hefty deposit on it. one thing you have to realize when dealing with small limits is that nobody wants to be the first to give you a high limit so if you make the limit yourself via secured card, creditors are likely to match it. def close that credit one card cause that thing has no grace period and monthly fees

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 7 of 20
bandlp08
New Contributor

Thanks so much for your thoughts.  I was thinking the same about the secured card. I will look into it at my credit union that I bank at.

Message 8 of 20
lovinlifeinkc
Regular Contributor

Good decision.  BK is fairly new and will impact your score for a while.  Hang in there and garden.

Starting Score Aug 2011 590/ Gardening until 2013!!
Current Score Walmart 683/ FICO Equifax 722/738/ 708 Transunion FICO 700/ 725 Credit Karma 648/678/
Goal Score 750
Credit Cards- Orchard $300, Capitol One $300/$500, Amazon $600/$1300 Pennys $700, Walmart $250/$700, Discover $2000, Chase $1500 Pending Citi/Declined Cit- Inquires and new credit....... GARDENING UNTIL 2013 or home loan time!!! Help me stay strong!!
Message 9 of 20
pjnsydsmoma

Hi! I'm New here. I have two cards with capital one a $230 secured card that I have had for almost a year and a half and a $750 unsecured card that I have had about a year. I recently applied for a third card with capital one because they have really treated me well and help me build my credit score and I was able to get approved for financing on a newer car. So I wanted to apply for a cashback rewards card, and I was denied. The adverse action letter came in the mail and basically it said that they did not run a credit report on me and that basically I was denied because of the amount of capital one accounts I have. So is there a limit to the amount of accounts one can have with capital one? Has anyone every received this type of rejection and then later been able to get another account with capital one? I researched the rewards cards and decided to go with capital one because I am familiar with them and they treat me well. I don't want to run my credit anytime soon in the next few months if I should just wait it out on capital one. Any suggestions or recommendations?? Thanks a bunch!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.