Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Limit Increase (CLI)

tag
Supafly535
Valued Member

Capital One Credit Limit Increase (CLI)

Has anyone else been having a hard time getting a Credit Limit Increase with Capital One?  I've been a customer of them for 3 years, with on time payments for 2 years.. and I tried getting an increase (even called the backdoor #s listed on the forums) and got a letter in the mail stating:   You were not approved for an increase at this time due to the following reasons:   A bounced check from one of your capital one accounts.   I had ONE bounced check from my checking account with them... which i paid immediately after i looked at my account online...

i cant wait to call and complain to them on monday when they're open. WTF does my checking account have to do with my credit card increase? I've been with a crappy $300 limit for 3 years!

Anyone else try lately to get an increase with them?

Starting Score: 530
Current Score: 646
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Limit Increase (CLI)

AFAIK they are not offering customer initiated CLI on ANY of their cc currently

in any case it sounds like you have one of their low limit cards that may never grow no matter how perfect your credit profile is, definitely not worth fretting over, it is just the way they are set up.

would have to get one of their good cards to be eligible for higher limits.  many of us, including me, have been stuck with the same low limit cap1 clunker for many years, i've had mine for around 9 years and it sits at 750.  it is not a grower and never will be, no way to change that unless app and combine or move on to a more generous lender.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't give up hope I started at 500 in< 6mths they took it to 750. They then gave me a increase of 4k 1yr later to 4750
Message 3 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

in any case it sounds like you have one of their low limit cards that may never grow no matter how perfect your credit profile is, definitely not worth fretting over, it is just the way they are set up.

would have to get one of their good cards to be eligible for higher limits.  many of us, including me, have been stuck with the same low limit cap1 clunker for many years, i've had mine for around 9 years and it sits at 750.  it is not a grower and never will be, no way to change that unless app and combine or move on to a more generous lender.

+1.  I've had mine since November 2001 with a $750 CL.  I do get to use the card to do a BT with no BT fee.  That allows me to PIF a card, that's not inline with my bill payment structure, before the statement cuts.  

Message 4 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

DI wrote:

score_building wrote:

+1.  I've had mine since November 2001 with a $750 CL.  I do get to use the card to do a BT with no BT fee.  That allows me to PIF a card, that's not inline with my bill payment structure, before the statement cuts.  

interesting use of bt.  is that no fee offer at regular purchase rate or promo?

OP don't give up, i haven't after 9 years but until they accept customer initiated requests for cli, it's up to whatever their internal review process dreams up.  at some point i may app and combine though i kinda doubt it because i object to a 3 inq policy from this so-so lender.  i would like to rid myself of the TL reporting low limit since it is my only low limit cc but i suppose we all had to start somewhere, i just think it could cause a bit of concern to have an old acct with low limit upon manual review, but that's just a guess.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@DI wrote:

@score_building wrote:

interesting use of bt.  is that no fee offer at regular purchase rate or promo?

OP don't give up, i haven't after 9 years but until they accept customer initiated requests for cli, it's up to whatever their internal review process dreams up.  at some point i may app and combine though i kinda doubt it because i object to a 3 inq policy from this so-so lender.  i would like to rid myself of the TL reporting low limit since it is my only low limit cc but i suppose we all had to start somewhere, i just think it could cause a bit of concern to have an old acct with low limit upon manual review, but that's just a guess.

It's the regular purchasing rate.  I still PIF the Cap 1 card before the next statement cuts.  

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Supafly535 wrote:

Has anyone else been having a hard time getting a Credit Limit Increase with Capital One?  I've been a customer of them for 3 years, with on time payments for 2 years.. and I tried getting an increase (even called the backdoor #s listed on the forums) and got a letter in the mail stating:   You were not approved for an increase at this time due to the following reasons:   A bounced check from one of your capital one accounts.   I had ONE bounced check from my checking account with them... which i paid immediately after i looked at my account online...

i cant wait to call and complain to them on monday when they're open. WTF does my checking account have to do with my credit card increase? I've been with a crappy $300 limit for 3 years!

Anyone else try lately to get an increase with them?

CCC's, when they are a bank, look at all of your accounts history, including checking, as part of their decision making on CL and CLI.  If you have NSF, OD and other "derogs" on other accounts with that bank/CCC, this will impact their credit decisions.

CapOne isn't, as a general rule, offering CLI from customer request.  They have essentially frozen most CLI processes and will only offer from their internal review, which has no specific timeframe guidelines (publicly available anyway).

I have a CapOne builder card for almost 5 years.  It did go from the intitial $500 CL over time to $1K.  But it has been there for 3 years and they will not raise it.  They did approve me for one of their prime higher limit cards, but would not combine the 2 cc's for me (one being reward and one not).

So, consider this card as a TL for payment history and age, but don't count on it for much in the way of CLI's.  I got to the 800 plus scores and this did not matter to them, accept to allow me to qualify for a prime card with CapOne.  It had no effect on my original card.  That card remembers my uglier credit beginnings and doesn't really grow or forgive those days much.

Good luck.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't give up hope I started at 500 in< 6mths they took it to 750. They then gave me a increase of 4k 1yr later to 4750

Hi.  You've received a very nice credit limit increase.  Don't usually see one that big.   I think it's not really productive to hold on to hope for something that's not going to happen, though -- everyone's experiences are different because their card programs are different..  You sound like you're in the credit steps program, or better program for an increase of 4k.  That's great.   many people (like the OP, myself, and a couple other people on this thread) are not in the credit steps program, got our cards before that program existed, and have cards which will NEVER see an increase in credit limit.

That's the program.

Instead of 'not giving up hope' (being passive), the OP will need to research cards that will give a better credit limit, and either swallow disgruntlement over that particular credit card or close it completely and not worry about hoping for the unhopeable (being active).  It would be very sad indeed if someone were to 'keep hoping' until the 10 year mark, the 15 year mark, the 20 year mark............. when during that time they could have gotten better credit limits and established better banking relationships so that that particular card becomes less meaningful to the credit profile.

Some folks are now reporting that their 'stuck' cards are receiving massive credit limits.  I'm happy for them.  But I wouldn't put all my eggs in the basket that one's particular Capital One card will experience that.

Less hoping, more action.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

at some point i may app and combine though i kinda doubt it because i object to a 3 inq policy from this so-so lender.

Hi.  Everyone's mileage will vary, so what I'm about to say should be taken with a grain of salt and not as gospel:

I'm in the southwest; I got a $5k business card just after the economic tsunami of 2008, having frozen 2 of my credit reports, a short 6 month business report history and with an active couple year old never CLI'd personal cap one card.

This winter, I'm going to try for a personal card, since my scores are a little better than when I was first offered the Cap One card, with the same two frozen credit reports and see if it goes through or if it asks for more info.

Wish me luck Smiley Happy   and good luck to you, whenever you decide to get the new card.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.