Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Line Increase Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Line Increase Question

It's certainly much easier to use the online method or automated phone method with Capital One.  Remember it is NOT standard practice for a human being to speak to you about a CLI when it comes to Capital One.  Unlike most other lenders they always say that CLI's come from their online/automated system only.  You have to be very persistent in order to speak to someone in the EO about a CLI because they naturally want to refer you back to the other methods that don't involve a human being or wasting their time.  I feel like the only reason I was successful was because their system wasn't able to access my EQ report (don't know why, I started a thread about this and still don't know why) so I was basically unable to receive a CLI using either of their automated ways. 

I personally think speaking to a human is a more efficient way overall in terms of receiving a CLI as it allows you to shoot high in asking for more than what you really want and you get a chance of them countering back somewhere in the middle.  With automated systems you can't shoot for anything, you just get to cross your fingers. 

My first CLI from Capital One 6 months in was $500 from $3k to $3.5k.  We'll see what I'm offered in the next few days after speaking to a human in the EO.  If it's significantly higher, I'll continue to believe actually speaking to someone on the phone is the best means for maximum results.

Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Another Capital One CLI related question:  Do they only give up $500 increment CLI's or have people received more than that?  I typically only seem to hear about $500.  I also wonder if it matters with the type of card... Platinum, QuickSilver, etc.

From what I've read here on the forums, credit limit is very card-dependent for Capital One. So for instance, they may give $5000 increases for Venture and Quicksilver, but only $500 increases for Platinum or Quicksilver One.

Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to hijack this thread but is it better to talk to someone on the phone or use the love button on their website?  I will be hitting my 2nd statement soon and waiting patiently until the 70th day before I contact them.

I'm sorry to ask what must look like a dumb question, but I did spend 10 minutes looking for an answer first.  What is this about waiting 70 days? Is that how long to wait between using the CLI button on the Capital One website?  

Message 33 of 39
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Click cli after 3 statements.
If you get a no, click every monthly statement after that until you get approved.
Then 6 months and start clicking again.
Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to hijack this thread but is it better to talk to someone on the phone or use the love button on their website?  I will be hitting my 2nd statement soon and waiting patiently until the 70th day before I contact them.

I'm sorry to ask what must look like a dumb question, but I did spend 10 minutes looking for an answer first.  What is this about waiting 70 days? Is that how long to wait between using the CLI button on the Capital One website?  

I've read many places after the second statement cut date you can ask for CLI and some people have not had any luck until their account has become at least 70 days old.  I will try at 2nd statement cut and report in my thead

Message 35 of 39
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Another Capital One CLI related question:  Do they only give up $500 increment CLI's or have people received more than that?  I typically only seem to hear about $500.  I also wonder if it matters with the type of card... Platinum, QuickSilver, etc.

Cap1 likes heavy usage and large payments, so the amount of the CLIs depends on that, as well as the type of card, your credit profile, and your income. Through the love button I've received anywhere between 1k-3k (or 0), depending on which card. I have also received a 4k auto increase before.

I agree.

I used all the info here, I got the platinum card with $300, quickly pc'ed it to QS1 as soon as I was eligible. I used it as a debit and paid daily/weekly, and made sure it never even got close to 30% esp by the statement cut date. By my 6th month I had a $3k CLI thx to credit steps. At the 12 month mark, another CLI of $3k via the luv button. My score didn't dramatically increase either (I still have/had some baddies to deal with). CO seems to like usage and paying more than the minimum.

Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm a bit disappointed today as I only received a $500 CLI from Capital One which is not my second $500 CLI in 13 months.  After speaking to someone on the phone at the executive office and them asking me what limit I would like (I said $10k) I was sure they would counter with something at least a few thousand above my $3500 limit.  No such luck.  Very surprising to me since every month I've been swiping the card 15-20 times and running up over $1000 and paying it in full.  My credit score has also increased about 100 points since getting the card 13 months ago from the low-mid 600's to the low-mid 700's.  Anyway, I'll bet getting 3 new cards in May all of which I believe will give me starting limits in excess of my Capital One card so I'm probably going to slow my usage considerably on CapOne and start running the others.  Perhaps CapOne will see the other cards on my reports after a few months all which higher limits and bump up my limit at that time... who knows.

Message 37 of 39
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm a bit disappointed today as I only received a $500 CLI from Capital One which is not my second $500 CLI in 13 months.  After speaking to someone on the phone at the executive office and them asking me what limit I would like (I said $10k) I was sure they would counter with something at least a few thousand above my $3500 limit.  No such luck.  Very surprising to me since every month I've been swiping the card 15-20 times and running up over $1000 and paying it in full.  My credit score has also increased about 100 points since getting the card 13 months ago from the low-mid 600's to the low-mid 700's.  Anyway, I'll bet getting 3 new cards in May all of which I believe will give me starting limits in excess of my Capital One card so I'm probably going to slow my usage considerably on CapOne and start running the others.  Perhaps CapOne will see the other cards on my reports after a few months all which higher limits and bump up my limit at that time... who knows.

if you start with a low tier cap1 most find better success just getting a new card like venture and venture one combo when they pre-qual and in 6 months not only get 1 cli on the 2 new cards but then consolidate into the old card and now have the limit of your dreams!!!

Message 38 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

They upgraded my Platinum to a QS which I thought might increase my CLI amount since it's a "better" card but no such luck.  I plan on getting 3 new cards next month, and I'm almost positive all will have greater SL's than my current card after 2 CLI's.  Looks like I may just start using one of the new ones as my every day card rather than the Cap One. 

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.