Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Line Increased Denied

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Line Increased Denied

@tony46231 wrote:

Hate doing that because I like using my Chase Amazon card that gives me 1-3% cash back to pay for everything, but I guess I'll make the sacrifice.  Is it common that you'll get denied an increase due to lack of use?  I have a BOA card that I haven't requested an increase on, but I want one for the same reason.  CR reports a balance 50 higher than the limit.  Limit is in the same ballpark.  BOA limit is 3K and has a zero balance, but I'm using it for a few purchases per month now.  

My Chase Amazon gives me that cashback at no minimum.  If I want 2.50 applied to my account for the month,  I can do it.  The CapOne and BOA cards have high minimum for rewards redemption.  I doubt I ever meet them, because I'd rather use one CC and the others just once or twice a month to keep them open.  

2 of the 3 I've had for slightly over 10 years.  The Chase Amazon is about 6 years old.

The no hassle Cap One cards also have no minimum for redemption, so maybe you have a different one.   As others have said, lack of use can certainly be a factor in their decisions, but not always.  It can also be lack of significant use, so Amex gave me only part of my requested CLI as I hadn't used much of the existing CL.  On the other hand, Cap One gave me a 5K increase on a card I had used maybe twice in two years.

Message 11 of 14
cheryle1223

I started out with a Capital One secured card ( with $100 unsecured) and a year later I was offered an unsecured one through the steps program.  I started out with a $750 credit limit and it was increased after 5 months to $2250 where I have been sitting for over 15 months.  Since I started becoming an avid reader on this forum I decided I would try a cli.  I have always used my card responsibily and have 0 late payments - I generaly pay at least twice a month.  I now have zero balance on my secured card and only owe 10% of my limit on my unsecured card.  After I didn't hear anything back I went online and did a chat with a cssr who stated that she didn't see anywhere that I had requested a cli.  So after telling her that I requested one two weeks earlier she had me do another request.  Two nights ago I got a letter in the mail that says I was denied due to: "Despite our attempt to reach you, we have been unable to resolve a consumer alert  you placed for access to your credit bureau report."  That does not make any sense at all.  Yes, I do have a fraud alert put on my report but they have already verified who I am - my phone number hasn't changed, my address hasn't changed - nothing new nor has anyone called, written or emailed me to confirm my identity.  I have had that alert put on my account before I even got the two cards - they have verified who I am.  If they wanted to come up with an excuse then they should have picked a better one.  I have been perfect in my payments with them.  I do have negatives in my credit report but they are all over 4 years old and I have only had positives in the last 3 years.  I have even recently received a Macy's card - I wasn't denied - I just had to prove my identiy.  Not a big deal.  They approved me for 2 cards with a much lower credit score than I have now so It wouldn't make sense to say it was my score being too low.  I called yesterday and talked to a rep in the credit dept and was told that it didn't make any sense to her and she would call me back that day but never heard back from her so I called this morning and the cssr said that there is a notation that I am disputing the denial and to wait a few days and I should hear a response back.  Has this happend to anyone else and if so, was it resolved or am I just sol??  Thanks.

Message 12 of 14
mma0411

I've been stuck with a really low credit limit on my CapOne for years. I currently have a zero balance and it's just not to worth it to me to use it because the rewards are so much better with my Amex BCP. I don't know why CO wouldn't want my business, but they're clearly in no rush since I've tried before. I might try ask again to increase it, but I think in general it's just not a good card for me.

Climbing out of bad financial decisions in college and graduate school...

March 2014: Experian 765
January 2014: Experian 743, Fico 728
Cards: Amex BCP $2000, Capitol One Quicksilver $1500
Message 13 of 14
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Capital One always denies my cards for a CLI with the same reason-that type of card is not eligible for a CLI.  I have no idea what type of card I need from Capital One to be eligible for a CLI, I got my first one in 2009, 2nd was pre-approved 2011, and 3rd was bought from another company in 2012.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.