Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps CLI

tag
jbishop1001
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Credit Steps CLI

I applied for (and received) 2 Capital One cards in October. I understand that they will be increasing my credit limit by $200 on each card after 6 months of on time payments.

Since I actually needed the credit, I have maxed the limits on both cards. (Don't shun me, I said I needed it!) I have been making minimum payments on time. I intend to fully pay back the balances in February.

My question is - will the fact that I've only made minimum payments effect the amount of my increase? I have read seveal other users say that they received MORE than the promised increase because of their payment history and usage. If I pay back the balance in full before review, will I still have a good chance at a higher limit increase?

Please let me know your experience. Thanks!

Starting Fico 8 Score: 571 EQ - 574 EX 605 TU Current Fico 8: 695 EQ 677 EX 709 TU
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
waters
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps CLI

Minimum payments are all you need to get the guaranteed credit steps cli... However.. It's rare for anybody to only get what's in the email..

Most people get $1000-$3000....with that said, if your payment history shows just minimum payments you might have jeopardized that higher potential limit.

6/2014; EX:621 EQ:627 TU:640
Cards: Capital One WORLD MC (QS): $7500 | Chase Freedom $3500
Sock: Merrick Bank $600 | Barclaycard $1250 | Sportsman's guide visa $2500

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@waters wrote:
Minimum payments are all you need to get the guaranteed credit steps cli... However.. It's rare for anybody to only get what's in the email..

Most people get $1000-$3000....with that said, if your payment history shows just minimum payments you might have jeopardized that higher potential limit.

I just received the QS1 card with a 3k starting CL and they set me up on credit steps. I plan on using the card heavily (for the cash rewards). I just got it yesterday and have already spent 1800 towards January bills! I plan on paying off about 95% monthly.  Do you think there is still a potential for me to get 3000 CLI in 6 months?

Message 3 of 17
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@waters wrote:

I just received the QS1 card with a 3k starting CL and they set me up on credit steps. I plan on using the card heavily (for the cash rewards). I just got it yesterday and have already spent 1800 towards January bills! I plan on paying off about 95% monthly.  Do you think there is still a potential for me to get 3000 CLI in 6 months?

I too received a 3k QS1 ( PC'd to QS 2 months later ) and am patiently waiting for my CLI.  I use the card like a debit card and PIF.  Recently there have been a ton of posts with folks having generous CLI's from Cap1.  It seems to be the norm from them lately.  I dont know that you'll double or even get 5k but at the least, if you've kept the account in order, you should get at least 1500 . 5 To 6k is possible though based on others.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I am hoping for at least 1-2k. I switched all my auto-payments over to this card today and will use it for everyday stuff as well (gas, groceries, etc). I should end up running about 3-4k through it every month (just like you, use it like a debit card). I'll likely have to make 2 payments a month on it until I get a CLI that can support my habits lol.

Message 5 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

@waters wrote:

Exactly.  I got 12 times what they said they would give. Went from 500-3500. They said I would get 250 extra. But no way did I pay minimum. Do that and you will only get 200 increase. 

Message 6 of 17
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@waters wrote:

Yes. You will be fine. Just don't pay minimum. 

Message 7 of 17
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

You should be fine ... That said, I started with $300 paying up to $4g's in the 5 months and still only received $200. I really don't know what I did wrong, mabye it was baddies on my report. But good luck to you!! I hope to read about your success.

Current EQ 634 TU08 670 EX 627
Garden: Take #25 (2017 - ouch)
2017 Goals: Citi Premier
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi tiffjtiffj,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for a little guidance/advice and your situation may be similar to mine. 

I too started out with 2 Capital One cards, each with $300 limit, with the promise to increase to $500 after 6 months. I just made my 4th payment and hit the luv button. I received the "2-3 day" notice, which, according to several posters on myFICO, means a denial.

I read your post about your experience with Credit Steps and I get the feeling that may be my similar experience... I pay in full every month and have paid almost $3k in my 4 months. I pray I get more than an increase to $500. I'm also 5 months post BK 7 discharge, so that may have some bearing on their decision.  

Did you ever follow up with them and ask why they didn't give you more than the minimum?

Anyone have any advice on what to do about the "2-3 days" message?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi tiffjtiffj,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for a little guidance/advice and your situation may be similar to mine. 

I too started out with 2 Capital One cards, each with $300 limit, with the promise to increase to $500 after 6 months. I just made my 4th payment and hit the luv button. I received the "2-3 day" notice, which, according to several posters on myFICO, means a denial.

I read your post about your experience with Credit Steps and I get the feeling that may be my similar experience... I pay in full every month and have paid almost $3k in my 4 months. I pray I get more than an increase to $500. I'm also 5 months post BK 7 discharge, so that may have some bearing on their decision.  

Did you ever follow up with them and ask why they didn't give you more than the minimum?

Anyone have any advice on what to do about the "2-3 days" message?

Thanks!

Just put my input in there.  i started with similar scores as you and baddies ($584 not paid yet reporting) and other 2 charges off. I had a $500 Platnium in credit steps. I ran my card up to the max on 2 statements and 2 statements with $0. I hut the luv button before credit steps and got an extra $1000. i did have previous relationship with capital ,which could be the reason, hard to say. Most people i have read get more than the minium on credit steps or at least get credit steps plus the luv button.  so it could be to soon because of the bk7, but many factors could play in.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.