Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps CLI

tag
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps CLI

And yes, they suckered me in on a second card !!

Current EQ 634 TU08 670 EX 627
Garden: Take #25 (2017 - ouch)
2017 Goals: Citi Premier
Message 11 of 17
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi tiffjtiffj,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for a little guidance/advice and your situation may be similar to mine. 

I too started out with 2 Capital One cards, each with $300 limit, with the promise to increase to $500 after 6 months. I just made my 4th payment and hit the luv button. I received the "2-3 day" notice, which, according to several posters on myFICO, means a denial.

I read your post about your experience with Credit Steps and I get the feeling that may be my similar experience... I pay in full every month and have paid almost $3k in my 4 months. I pray I get more than an increase to $500. I'm also 5 months post BK 7 discharge, so that may have some bearing on their decision.  

Did you ever follow up with them and ask why they didn't give you more than the minimum?

Anyone have any advice on what to do about the "2-3 days" message?

Thanks!

Hi 700in2015,

If I remember correctly Cap1 gave me the "due to your current credit profile" as to why I got the minimum. Seeing that I do have baddies that are 6 years old, I took the response for what it was. The luv button before they issue the credit step was a no go for me as well, but for some on the board it was fine. I just passed my 1yr with and hit the button and got $1000 so maybe I still have to prove myself. That said I no longer use the card as eagerly as before thinking I will be rewarded for it. Since then I was preapproved for a second card for $500(steps $750, I don't expect more than that). I hope your outcome is different, please let me know and good luck!

Tiffanni

Message 12 of 17
alexl22
Regular Contributor

I just received the minimum on my steps, I ran everything through this card and paid multiple times during each month. I have an email in to the EO office but will call if they dont call me by friday.

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Tiffanni! I'll keep you updated.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow alexl22--

Looking at your scores and card portfolio gives me no hope at all, lol! I max out my cards, but only pay once a month and report under 3% util.

Please update once you hear back from the EO.

Message 15 of 17
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Tiffanni! I'll keep you updated.

Hey 700in2015,

I just foolishly hit the luv button on my 4th statement (2nd card) and scored $1000 instead of the $250 that was in the credit steps letter. I was just about to close the page as I'm accustomed to denial at this point but it happened.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

700- I really think your recent bankruptcy is why you got the 2-3 day message.  You are going to have to be patient and let it show some positive history - 6 more months.  If your limits haven't grown by your 1 year anniversary but your scores have, you may want to consider getting a 2nd card with Cap 1.  I know that may not make sense but if you are in any "category" with Cap 1 and apply after your scores increase and more time between the BK discharge, you may have more potential to grow.  I have seen that with others on here.    DH is 3 yrs post bk and he got a venture card in February with a $10k limit.  They already increased it to $13k.  He also got the QS card with a $10k limit.  Cap 1 is BK friendly once they see positive history.

In November, my scores were 598 when I applied.  I had 3 medical collections, 1 old derog and only 1 active credit account.  I was approved for $1k which was a shock.  I expected $300.  I started working on getting those old baddies off and used my card to pay my monthly bills then PIF.  I used it weekly and PIF'd every Friday through the end of January.  In the mean time I got all but 1 medical collection removed.  My scores went up to 650.  I hit the request button in February and my limit increased to $3k!  My 6th statement will cut next week and then I will get my "steps" increase.  My scores have gone up considerably since I got the card.  I am hoping they pull TU like they did when I got the card, they will now see a 750 score. 

Keep util low, pay on time and re-establish your credit.  It may take time but it will grow!!!  Hang in there Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.