Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps Program

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps Program

I was told 2 and got 1 on each card (2 cards).  Since 2010 (1st card). 

I never saw anything about every six months.  Just up to 2 CLIs.   I'll be dumping the newest of those cards next spring before the AF.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 11 of 44
alexak
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

My letter never said anything about every 6 months...it said...

"Welcome to Capital One!®Your Welcome Kit informed you of your initial credit limit, but as a Capital One Preferred

cardholder, you have been pre-qualified for an additional $500 to your credit line with Capital One Credit StepsSM. This is
an automatic service for new customers and an easy way to achieve more buying power. Simply follow these two steps:
1. Use your card at least once.
2. Make your first 5 monthly payments on time.
That's it. Just complete these two steps and you could automatically get access to your pre-qualified credit line by your 7
th
statement. That's how easy it is to get the extra power you need to fill up your gas tank, buy groceries, dine out... or just
treat yourself!"

My letter is the same except for the wording is different. Slightly confusing (not a surprise). My states that I am pre-qualified for a $500 credit line assuming I follow the correct steps. So does this mean my $300 limit will get a $200 increase to a $500CL, or a $500CLI ? Ugh so confusing.Smiley Mad

Message 12 of 44
namvet
Established Contributor

@alexak wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

"Welcome to Capital One!®Your Welcome Kit informed you of your initial credit limit, but as a Capital One Preferred

cardholder, you have been pre-qualified for an additional $500 to your credit line with Capital One Credit StepsSM. This is
an automatic service for new customers and an easy way to achieve more buying power. Simply follow these two steps:
That's it. Just complete these two steps and you could automatically get access to your pre-qualified credit line by your 7
th
statement. That's how easy it is to get the extra power you need to fill up your gas tank, buy groceries, dine out... or just
treat yourself!"

My letter is the same except for the wording is different. Slightly confusing (not a surprise). My states that I am pre-qualified for a $500 credit line assuming I follow the correct steps. So does this mean my $300 limit will get a $200 increase to a $500CL, or a $500CLI ? Ugh so confusing.Smiley Mad

When you got the card Cap One approved you for a $500 credit line if you followed the steps in the letter.  So that means you will receive a $200 CLI.

Message 13 of 44
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

With credit step program, I only recieved one CLI--I have the MTV Visa. From $500 to $750...in 2010...It wasn't until this year 2012 when I called Cap1 Exec office that I got my lined increased to $1,500.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 14 of 44
knj601
Established Member

@alexak wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

th
treat yourself!"

When I got my steps card I also had a $300 limit. I only got a $200 increase, so my limit was $500. 

Current: TU (Wal-Mart) 640 EQ (myFICO) 627 EX 628 as of 10/12
BK Discharged 08/10 (The dark times)
NavChek (5000) Cap1 (2500 & 1000) hhGregg (1500) Amazon (900) & WalMart (500) Lowes (300)

Goal: No apps until 07/2013 & 700's across the board
Message 15 of 44
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@cracksmeup wrote:

I received my Capital One card and was enrolled in the Credit Steps program last October.  As I understood it, as long as the account was kept in good standing, with no lates or anything, I would receive a CLI every 6 months.  I did get one 6 months later, in April.   I just did the online chat thing with a rep from Capital One to find out when they would be putting in the CLI.  He told me that the Credit Steps Program was a one time promotion and that my account was already increased under the promotion in April.  WTH?  Anybody else in this program and received more than one increase?  I'm almost positive that when I received the info about the program in the mail it said every 6 months, not just one.  If it really is only a one time thing then the name needs to be changed to Credit Step, not StepS!

Credit steps is usually 1 CLI, can amount to more if you use it frquently and pay good on it but nothing is set in stone.

Has your credit improved greatly since getting the card last year?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 44
calihlove75
Established Contributor

I wish they would throw a 'step' my way! This card is so gone come January.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 17 of 44
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

I hate mine can't stand em, so close to closing em before AF hits.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the dumbest program ever, I got this card back in 09/2011 got the 1 step credit increase from 500-750 and have been asking for a CLI since I hit the one year mark and I get same line and dance "at unspecified times we review your account." What a crock of Crap, and if you ever use the online chat the CSR's are really annoying or really dumb. For example today I used the online chat and I was asking about this stupid credit step program trying to verify if it was a one time thing or what, and right off he starts pasting information about how the program works.  I told him he needs to slow down and let me finish my question, then he jumps off with a question asking me if I wanted to initiate a CLI followed by an excerpt about how he needs all my personal information, just the standard broiler plate crap if you want a CLI. I told him again he needs to slow down and follow along with my discussion it was like talking to a schizophrenic.Furthermore, they never directly answer any questions simply.  I unfortunately, cancelled two of the 3 cards I had with these C.S. (C--- Suckers) one was 9 mos old and the other was a few days shy of a year which effected my credit poorly. I would cancel this stupid platinum joke of a card but it would further hurt my score. I do not use this card often I actually hate using it but if I do I pay it off in full early just to make sure these co-- suckers do not get any interest off me!  This is the worst credit card company hands down, I cant believe they bought HSBC where I have two other cards and have always had good experiences with in the past.

Message 19 of 44
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the dumbest program ever, I got this card back in 09/2011 got the 1 step credit increase from 500-750 and have been asking for a CLI since I hit the one year mark and I get same line and dance "at unspecified times we review your account." What a crock of Crap, and if you ever use the online chat the CSR's are really annoying or really dumb. For example today I used the online chat and I was asking about this stupid credit step program trying to verify if it was a one time thing or what, and right off he starts pasting information about how the program works.  I told him he needs to slow down and let me finish my question, then he jumps off with a question asking me if I wanted to initiate a CLI followed by an excerpt about how he needs all my personal information, just the standard broiler plate crap if you want a CLI. I told him again he needs to slow down and follow along with my discussion it was like talking to a schizophrenic.Furthermore, they never directly answer any questions simply.  I unfortunately, cancelled two of the 3 cards I had with these C.S. (C--- Suckers) one was 9 mos old and the other was a few days shy of a year which effected my credit poorly. I would cancel this stupid platinum joke of a card but it would further hurt my score. I do not use this card often I actually hate using it but if I do I pay it off in full early just to make sure these co-- suckers do not get any interest off me!  This is the worst credit card company hands down, I cant believe they bought HSBC where I have two other cards and have always had good experiences with in the past.

WOW!!!! I mean we all have gripes about cap1 but the offer credit if we are in a crunch at reasonable terms (see FP, Orchard, etc). Cap1 cards serve a purpose and thats to extend a credit line so we can bulid postive history and build up your score and once that is accomplished MOVE ON......as far as the CS is concerned the are following a script and I highly doubt anyone can get anything accomplished from the front or second line CSR.

P.S. you may want to check the T.O.S.  

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.