Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps Program

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps Program

mine only went to 1k, but i am still very happy that i got it.

Message 31 of 37
-Furbz-
Contributor

oh im happy i got it and ill be just as happy to get anything they give me

Message 32 of 37
emartin82
Regular Contributor

don't mean to hijack the thread, but didn't want to start a new post since  most people here tend to be capone card holders offering advices/gripes...

but, i called the backdoor number today and was offered a card upgrade to their cash rewards card AND a credit line increase. yeah, that's right. both.

i got this card as credit steps card at the beginning of 2007. it stopped increasing at 1500 sometime in 2008. i later combined another cap one card into this one, and my CLI was increased to $2500 (combination of 1500 visa and 1000 mastercard, combined 7/2008).

i've called the backdoor # ten+ times in the last two years to get a CLI or monthly $5 fee waived, but NOTHIN. todays call was a real surprise. new CL is $4000.

Message 33 of 37
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

emartin82, can you tell me what kind of card you have with them. I called them and they denied me of everything. I also realized they did a product switch on me. I have been with C1 since 07 it was a starter card after bk with a 3k limit. I was informed by them to apply for a different card if I wanted a better limit so I did. I picked one with a possible 10k limit that would grow with me and 0 annual fee, that was over a year and a half ago. I assumed it was the card I applied for, I callled them a couple of days ago only to find that they sent me another card with a 3k limit and that was as far as it would grow. I was very upset however they would not do a product change nor would they combine the two, my credit was in much better shape than when I applied for the first card. the only good thing is that it does have 0 annual fee but I will be paying one of them off and closing it, I don't need another 3k limit card.

Message 34 of 37
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I have two cards which are both stuck and will never increase. I honestly dont even remember the last time I used either of them, I mainly only keep them as they help my AAoA.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 35 of 37
FicoTron
Established Contributor

goRe: Capital One Credit Steps Program

I was wondering if anyone has had a Secured Cap1 card that was put into the Credit Steps program?  I know that they give CLI's on secured cards.  Mine is due for an increase now and I was hoping that maybe I could parlay that into letting me into the credit steps program.  I have a perfect 9 months with them, good usage, perfect payments, never over 30%, etc. 

I'd love to get some feedback on anyone who has had any experience...

EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 36 of 37
Sonic98
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If your limit is $300, I bet you are in the "Credit Steps" program.  I have two cards:

The first started at $300, went to $750 after the 4th Statment, then $1500 after 7th Statement. (Opened in Jan 2009)

The second started at $500, went to $750 after the 4th Statment, and I EXPECT it will go to $1000-1500 in about 2 months.  (Opened Jan 2010)

Note- Mine are NOT rewards card, so might be a chance this does not apply.

They will send you a brochure vaguely explaining this.  Two rules:  Never go overlimit, never pay late.  Use it a lot, and PIF is my advice to show you will be an active revenue producer for them.

These are rebuilder cards, so they probably will not ever see higher than the final CLI.  Cap 1 only allows 2 cards with them, and I don't think they will product change with these.  You would have to close the Credit Steps card, and apply for (and hope for) a better card/CL.   (If you ever need someone to laugh hysterically at you, call them and ask for a CLI)

Hold onto this card, progress through the "steps", and keep it for the sentimental value when you are an 800 member.  Unless the annual fee irks you.

With your rising scores, open an account at a Credit Union (search this forum for glowing posts) and sit on it for 6 months.  Then try for an unsecured card and if you don't get it put $$$$$ into a secured card with them.   Quick advice as long as I am here talking.

Smitty

Well, I'm glad you got an increase to 750. Pretty much everyone I know only went from 300 to 500.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.