Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps program answers

tag
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps program answers

So as long as you call them and let them know you are spending more than usual they should approve pretty much whatever?

I don't spend like crazy, I average about 1,000 - 1,500 per month through my Cap One card right now. For utilization rate purposes it might not be good though if my Cap One card is stuck at 750.00 forever...

I agree that all credit companies have flaws of their own. AMEX has been known to be pretty unforgiving if payments are missed.

Do all the charge cards have the same spending limit ability? Or do green and gold give you more?

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 21 of 56
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

In theory any charge card could have the same high internal limit, as they are all NPSL.

But the income/creditworthiness, etc... of the cardmember plays into it so I suspect that Plat and Gold may have higher internal limits in general....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 22 of 56
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

So as long as you call them and let them know you are spending more than usual they should approve pretty much whatever?

I don't spend like crazy, I average about 1,000 - 1,500 per month through my Cap One card right now. For utilization rate purposes it might not be good though if my Cap One card is stuck at 750.00 forever...

I agree that all credit companies have flaws of their own. AMEX has been known to be pretty unforgiving if payments are missed.

Do all the charge cards have the same spending limit ability? Or do green and gold give you more?

u CAN NOT miss a payment, u must PAY IN FULL every month,, i think the other cards have more perks,, but with the zync u can add perks with the zync paks, i really like the card, it was my number 1 card till i got the amex BCE, and now i can carry a balance and not worry about it, plus the 0% helpsSmiley Wink

Message 23 of 56
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

That makes sense, people with better/longer credit histories will be getting AMEX Gold/Platinum. While they look cool and everything, the annual fee for those just doesn't seem worth it unless you travel all the time. The amount you would have to spend each year to justify 500, 175 or 125 in annual fees is a ton. Green seems kind of pointless because you might as well get gold for 30 bucks more haha. One of my friends has the Premier Rewards gold and I asked him how the heck he justifies the 175 annual fee. He said he likes the prestige and it looks cool with great rewards, but I told him unless he spend 30,000+ a year on the card it likely isn't worth it

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 24 of 56
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

I didn't know that, that sounds really good the way it is reported! Now lets say I apply and get approved for the Zync with NPSL. This may be hard to answer, but how much can you really spend in a month before they decline you? I know they say they take your normal spending into account to determine your limit, but what if you buy a new tv or computer in a month as well as your normal spending? Does this cause you to be declined with the Zync? Do you have higher limits with the green, gold and platinum cards?

Dale answered the NPSL rather well. They know your spending will vary, they have an internal way of setting that. The question above in red however, the charge cards are very similar in the NPSL rules, if someone would be allowed to charge 100k on a platinum and they only have a Zync, the Zync, with the same info would get the same NPSL "limit" in the system (the Zync has it's own dept however and could now be blocked at a 25k or 50k limit or something now and I wouldn't know that info). A Charge account is a charge account with AMEX, only the AF and perks really vary. They actually could call it  "an unseen or hidden limit" if truth be told.

[EDIT]: Dale mentioned a very important reminder (not that you need to be told, I'm just re-iterating for anyone reading as a reminder, esp to those new to credit) NEVER EVER miss, be late or short a payment with AMEX (or any other CC really) if there is any way possible to avoid it, doing so is like paying someone wearing steal toed boots to kick you in the jewels.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 25 of 56
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I have heard people say that you can check to see if a purchase will be approved on the AMEX website, but that if you use that feature too much then it negatively impacts you somehow?

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 26 of 56
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

I have heard people say that you can check to see if a purchase will be approved on the AMEX website, but that if you use that feature too much then it negatively impacts you somehow?

i think what we said is dont play with the button

Message 27 of 56
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

You're speaking of the "check spending ability" button. Avoid it unless you intend to make a purchase for the amount you plan to ask about  just to be safe. The old saying "don't play with fire" sort of applies. As for myself, I have NO intention of ever going near that button.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 28 of 56
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Yes I agree, it seems to be the no-no button. I'd rather take my chances and call in and ask than play around with the "What happens if I spend x amount..."

Assuming I get approved in the next month or two for Zync, how long do I need to wait before applying for one of their revolvers? 6 months? a year?

I'd be applying for Zync with only 6 months of credit history on one line of credit. Assuming perfect payment history the whole time of course haha Smiley Wink

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 29 of 56
dalebb
Valued Contributor

try going to americanexpress.com and try the preapproved cards 1st b4 u do anything, its a soft hit

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.