Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps

tag
first48
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Credit Steps

I received my Capital One Credit Steps letter in the mail yesterday letting me know about the increase after you do the three things.  However, with the way the economy is right now, does anyone think I can call before that 3rd statement cuts and get a CLI before credit steps kicks in?  I received my card about the 2nd week of September and they are still not reporting on my credit reports.
2/01/09 TU 678 EQ 690 EX 655
06/12/2014 EQ 634/ TU 623/ EX 618
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps

Everyone that has posted calling right before the 3 month mark has gotten an extra CLI.
Message 2 of 12
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

I called a couple days after my second statement cut and they doubled my limit from $300 to $600. I had charged up to the limit and PIF'd a couple of times in the two months I had the card. The CSR mentioned the payment history, so that may have helped. I would say go for it, at the worst they'll say no. At least you'll still get the CLI from credit steps! Good Luck!
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ralbusta wrote:
I called a couple days after my second statement cut and they doubled my limit from $300 to $600. I had charged up to the limit and PIF'd a couple of times in the two months I had the card. The CSR mentioned the payment history, so that may have helped. I would say go for it, at the worst they'll say no. At least you'll still get the CLI from credit steps! Good Luck!

Did you still get the 3 month auto-CLI?
Message 4 of 12
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

My third statement should cut today or tomorrow, so I don't know yet. From what I've read people have also received the auto CLI after doing this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just charged up to the limit and PIF'd again, so maybe that'll help.  My letter said I should see the increase on the fifth statement though? Is that normal?
Message 5 of 12
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

My first Cap One account, I called about 45 days after I opened and asked for a CLI and got one of $750.  CL went from$2000 to $2750, then credit steps kicked in and I got an additional $500.

My second account has been open for 2 months and started at $500 and credit steps are supposed to kick in and give me $250.  I will call soon to see if I can get a CLI  before then.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ralbusta wrote:
My third statement should cut today or tomorrow, so I don't know yet. From what I've read people have also received the auto CLI after doing this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just charged up to the limit and PIF'd again, so maybe that'll help. My letter said I should see the increase on the fifth statement though? Is that normal?

My second statement's supposed to cut tomorrow ... DH's third statement is supposed to cut on the 15th (we screwed up relatively slightly on one payment, so he's too scared to call to ask for a CLI -- so we'll see on the 15th if they're punishing him).

I don't know ... I've heard that you get CLIs on the 3rd statement AND the 5th ... and I've heard that you can actually get the "5th" statement CLI on the 3rd?

Are you as confused as me, now???? o_O
Message 7 of 12
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

Wonderin wrote:

I don't know ... I've heard that you get CLIs on the 3rd statement AND the 5th ... and I've heard that you can actually get the "5th" statement CLI on the 3rd?

Are you as confused as me, now???? o_O

Yup!

I'll tell you why: DW got her credit steps on the 4th statement. Her letter stated the 4th statement, so we were expecting it. We didn't call for a CLI for her though. I guess I'll find out if I get it on the 3rd in a few days. I will keep you updated.

Message 8 of 12
first48
Frequent Contributor

I was just wondering with everything going on in the economy if you could still call the backdoor number and receive the increase without credit steps.
2/01/09 TU 678 EQ 690 EX 655
06/12/2014 EQ 634/ TU 623/ EX 618
Message 9 of 12
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

I got mine last month and I've read that others have gotten them. Like I said it doesn't hurt to try Cap 1 doesn't do a hard pull for CLI. Worst case they deny you, then you try next month. They denied me the first time.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.