cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Declined

tag
Candicane

Capital One Declined

On 7/30/11 I received my card and activated it over the phone. My first transaction at an A.T.M to test the card. (Cash Advance) It did not recoginize my pin number

It was declined. First, I thought that I did not properly activate it, so I called customer service.  They asked me to try it again and it declined, she said she did a reset and try it again at another A.T.M machine that was near by. It then said unable to process request.

The rep said that it will reset at 12:00 midnight but I am able to use the card but not able to do a cash advance…no problem. Went to the marker and it was declined . I called the next day and was told due to suspicious purchases, the card was put on hold (remember, the very first attempted transaction was at the A.T.M. and it was declined). There was no previous activity. It was a new card that I had received the day before. I was told that I needed to send in sensitive information (driver's license, utility bill, W-2 forms) to make sure I am who I say I am and that I have the card in my possession. (HUH??)  and I havd 30 days from the date of the decline to fax over all documentation, if not my account will be closed.

I have never had a credit card company verify information twice (before and after extending credit (not even previously when I had my old Capital One card). I felt emotionally distressed by this. What is to become of the copies of my sensitive documents that I faxed to them that display my address, SSN, and income? I felt it makes more sense to verify all information BEFORE extending credit instead of having a customer make a purchase and then surprise them with a decline on a brand new card. I checked my account online yesterday and notice that they are charging me $39.00!

That made me feel abused by my own credit card company and it is not a way to begin a relationship in business.

To harass a customer before they even do anything wrong is an abusive business practice.This practice is obviously suspicious and it needs to be mandated to change. I am leaning toward not sending any information and just close the account.

I would love to read some of the feed back from members on this board.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One Declined

@Candicane wrote:

On 7/30/11 I received my card and activated it over the phone. My first transaction at an A.T.M to test the card. (Cash Advance) It did not recoginize my pin number

It was declined. First, I thought that I did not properly activate it, so I called customer service.  They asked me to try it again and it declined, she said she did a reset and try it again at another A.T.M machine that was near by. It then said unable to process request.

The rep said that it will reset at 12:00 midnight but I am able to use the card but not able to do a cash advance…no problem. Went to the marker and it was declined . I called the next day and was told due to suspicious purchases, the card was put on hold (remember, the very first attempted transaction was at the A.T.M. and it was declined). There was no previous activity. It was a new card that I had received the day before. I was told that I needed to send in sensitive information (driver's license, utility bill, W-2 forms) to make sure I am who I say I am and that I have the card in my possession. (HUH??)  and I havd 30 days from the date of the decline to fax over all documentation, if not my account will be closed.

I have never had a credit card company verify information twice (before and after extending credit (not even previously when I had my old Capital One card). I felt emotionally distressed by this. What is to become of the copies of my sensitive documents that I faxed to them that display my address, SSN, and income? I felt it makes more sense to verify all information BEFORE extending credit instead of having a customer make a purchase and then surprise them with a decline on a brand new card. I checked my account online yesterday and notice that they are charging me $39.00!

That made me feel abused by my own credit card company and it is not a way to begin a relationship in business.

To harass a customer before they even do anything wrong is an abusive business practice.This practice is obviously suspicious and it needs to be mandated to change. I am leaning toward not sending any information and just close the account.

I would love to read some of the feed back from members on this board.

I don't see anything wrong with this. You didn't have a problem giving them your address, SSN, income info when you applied, what's different now? What probably flagged your account is you immediately went to pull cash. What is sensitive about your DL/Utility bill?? They already know where you live and have your SSN. I would just do it if you don't want to let them close the account. Theyre only trying to protect themselves from fraud.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

let me make sure I understand correctly, if not please correct me. You got the card, activated it and immediately the first thing you did is try to take a cash advance? If I were the creditor I'd be worried for a number of reasons... Not the least of which is theft/fraud. I'd say they're letting you off easy... Well compared to say a company like Amex . Smiley Wink Given the $39 af I'm guessing it's one of their higher risk category cards as well. Kinda funny, I don't even know the cash advance pins on any of my cards, given a couple high limits that's prolly a good thing. But yea, just send em what they ask or close the acct. Smiley Happy the W2's are the only thing that sound like a pain (if you're disorganized as I am). Nothing particularly probing there.
Message 3 of 16
texasman07
Established Contributor

i agree.  No offense.  but when I get a card I take my time, set up the account. make a small purchase, make a payment, then see how it works. taking cash out immediately would red flag any company.  did you have a reason u needed the cash? emergency?

Message 4 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

As someone wrote earlier... the first transaction being a cash advance would make anyone suspicious.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would never take a cash advance on a credit card let alone a card that is probably geared towards credit repair (correct me if wrong)... If I was Cap1 I would have closed your account after a cash attempt.

but at any rate, hopefully it can be a learning experience for many people on here who think about taking a cash advance.

Message 6 of 16
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I can understand why your mad. It is what it is. I agree, any card company that offers cash advance shouldn't get suspicious, after all you can charge it up with purchases and not pay either, so what's the difference. That being said, it will make them nervous. Just establish more history with them and you will be fine. These people that talk about Capital One being "sub-prime" are full of it. Capital One offers prime cards as well, so..Don't let it make you mad, it just spooked them maybe. 

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 7 of 16
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@jeffery581 wrote:

I can understand why your mad. It is what it is. I agree, any card company that offers cash advance shouldn't get suspicious, after all you can charge it up with purchases and not pay either, so what's the difference. That being said, it will make them nervous. Just establish more history with them and you will be fine. These people that talk about Capital One being "sub-prime" are full of it. Capital One offers prime cards as well, so..Don't let it make you mad, it just spooked them maybe. 

It's not just that it is a cash advance.  It's that the very first attempt to use the card was a cash advance.  The vast majority of people wouldn't get a credit card and immediately run to the ATM to get cash.  The hefty cash advance fees discourage this behavior.  There are two very real possibilities that a card would be used like this in spite of the fees (1) the card was stolen; (2) a person in dire financial straights applied for a new card to advance cash and may not be able to pay it back.  Are those the only possibilities?  No.  But they are real enough risks that I think any CC company is justified in shutting the card down to find out what is going on. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) It has been my observation that in the current credit climate lenders are are frantic about  CA's. My gf has a few pin transactions (not CA's) on brand new cards declined at the supermarket.

2)Why would you attempt to initiate a CA? Are you aware of the interest? You would be better off finding a local loan shark.

3)If, and I stress if, you absolutely must have cash right away and only have a CC to fall back on you could simply send yourself an invoice via Paypal and subsequently borrow money  from your card at your regular interest rate. I do not recommend this however. Living off of a CC is the worst kind of debt and it most certainly will come back to bite you in the butt.

Message 9 of 16
Candicane

It was rather hard understanding this gentlemen due to his accent, It took the rep about 35 minutes to activate my card.

Before I decided to use the card i passed a bank and wanted to check that all systems were a go. I did not know trying to take out twenty bucks from my  own card will

cause a four alarm fire with capital one.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.