Capital One EO REALLY?

tag
fltn
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One EO REALLY?

@red259 wrote:

@fltn wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I know some people call it crap1. That is their opinion. Personally I have had very good experiences with cap 1. This isn't directed at OP, but sometimes on these boards people come on to the forums and rail against cap 1 calling it crap 1 and all this nonsense just because they were denied a credit line increase. For someone who is just starting out it makes it seem like cap 1 is a lender to avoid. This is really not the case. In fact cap 1 is giving cards to people when lenders like Chase and Amex won't even lift a finger to extend credit. My feeling is nobody is entitled to credit. If a lender doesn't want to extend additional credit that is their prerogative. If people are unhappy with cap 1 just close the cards and move on. No need to come online and resort to what amounts to name calling (posting is fine, but the name calling irks me as capital one really put me in a good position with apps for other lenders). I don't see this type of behavior being directed towards other lenders, although people have had bad experiences with all lenders. Granted I don't really think any of the cap 1 cards are all that great, but they serve their purpose and I will probably close mine after a year or two, once my other accounts have aged and I have a large enough overall credit line so that it will not impact my util heavily. 

I get your point.

I was just upset that a CC EO would expect someone to close 2 cards and open 2 new ones if they wanted CLI's.

Isn't the point to  keep an account for a long time, and not get a lower AAoA. 

Also do a search for "crap"

"Capital one" in title is usually a good experience and "crap" is usually a bad one.

Oh well, shame on me for name calling and venting.

Maybe I will just go back to lurking instead of posting.

Capital One did help me build, but I have been denied a CLI in the past from others due to their low limits too.

I know everyone is contacting the EO, so I was just trying to be helpful with the info given to me today, hoping if anyone else had the same experience could share or not be surprised if they got the same respose that I did, since it seems to be something new.

This may not be for all accounts, as I was told this was for accounts older then 3 years and part of credit steps, mostly the people that are looking for CLI's.

I don't really know why they insist on you opening up two new products to get a higher credit line. I suspect it has something to do with the way their biz is setup and I'm sure they have their own internal reasons. Is probably something tied into the underwriting of different product lines, but only the people working there understand the rationale. I don't think their goal is to discourage people from applying for other products of theirs, unfortunatly that is a byproduct of the way they function. I do understand your frustration and I know your just venting. The positive thing is your well on your way to obtaining great credit.

I have a 1K limit on both of my cards. If it had something to do with  being tied to different products lines then others would not have been given 750-->2000-->3000 after cracking Capital One's nut shell on the same card without having to close their old cards and open new ones. Though I do not know anyone at Capital One by name, so that may have been a disadvanage to me. I am bad with names though! Joking, I have a photographic memory.

Or maybe they have a new nut shell to be cracked that started today, me being the first.

LOL  Just having fun now. Smiley Tongue

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 41 of 62
fltn
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@negg wrote:

@Creditaddict.  That's a good one, buuuut I was told bye CSR at BofA that they don't give it CLI without a hard pull. Advised them my other cards are giving me auto CLI. He told me its federal law that in order to get a CLI then have to do a HP. Told him Amex and chase sp for auto CLI. According to him they are breaking the law. Smh at lazy arse that get paid to give out wrong info. 

err where did bank of america come into this?

Bank of America does to HP for customer Initiated CLI, they do do manual CLI sometimes but who knows when and how one qualifies, my friend just got one on his Fidelity though.

as far as these stupid and yes I call them stupid underwriters spreading this bs about breaking federal law to give credit line increases without doing a hp on peoples credit is just that stupid... it may be company policy but it is not federal law they pull a hp.. they are required to make sure consumer can resonably repay the debts, repaying debts has nothing to do with hp's.

Yea, the BoA rep is totally full of it. Thankfully I don't deal with them and they don't have any cards I am remotely interested in.

Regardless of what the CSR/Underwriter said, it's a well-known fact that BoA will HP for any customer initiated CLI so it really shouldn't be a surprise.  I've had nothing but positive experiences with BoA underwriters, but I've never asked them to explain their policies - they just tell me what will happen and I either accept it or move on.

Regarding Capital One, it is strange how un-empowered their front-line staff seem to be, but at least they're consistent.  Yes it seems excessive to have to email the CEO for a CLI after 4 years, but they all have their "things."  Chase is known for reconsideration, Amex for 61 day CLI and so on.  In any event, their CSR's and EO have always been pleasant.  I see a lot of people who aren't happy with their credit steps limit increase after 6 months and instantly feel they're entitled to something more, but can't even bother to use a search engine to find the EO contact.

Its similar to when I went into a Dennys one time and asked for my burger to be cooked medium. The waitress informed me that all burgers had to be cooked well done as it was state law and they could not make the burger medium. Unfortunately for her I was well versed in the state law and had never heard such a thing and she ended up admitting that it was just the restaurant policy and it isn't really a law when I called her on it. Never had that problem with any other waitress or any other restaurant. It was weird. Sometimes CSR/sales people just make stuff up when they don't know the real answer. 

I have had that same experience. My problem was the waitress was from another state where that was true, and assumed it was like that in all states. 

Message 42 of 62
fltn
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@fltn wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

MJ

LOL That's me from now on. No more posting.

Plus I will have a hand free to eat some popcorn. 

You better keep posting to find the answers you seek your a part of this community Smiley Wink Don't have me come get you Lol

Everyone should remember this is a public forum and my views may not be the same as your views 

But all view should at least be heard. Now what you do with that info is up to each and every person as you apply it to your profile 

I've sat back all night and read this thread and have my own view of CAP1

and it's all good in my case but YMMV

Since I opened my mouth Barclay is all good too ...Lol 

They are all good, even the "crappy ones"!

I love this site, been on here lurking for 5 years.

Message 43 of 62
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@negg wrote:

@Creditaddict.  That's a good one, buuuut I was told bye CSR at BofA that they don't give it CLI without a hard pull. Advised them my other cards are giving me auto CLI. He told me its federal law that in order to get a CLI then have to do a HP. Told him Amex and chase sp for auto CLI. According to him they are breaking the law. Smh at lazy arse that get paid to give out wrong info. 

Bank of America does to HP for customer Initiated CLI, they do do manual CLI sometimes but who knows when and how one qualifies, my friend just got one on his Fidelity though.

as far as these stupid and yes I call them stupid underwriters spreading this bs about breaking federal law to give credit line increases without doing a hp on peoples credit is just that stupid... it may be company policy but it is not federal law they pull a hp.. they are required to make sure consumer can resonably repay the debts, repaying debts has nothing to do with hp's.

Yea, the BoA rep is totally full of it. Thankfully I don't deal with them and they don't have any cards I am remotely interested in.

Regardless of what the CSR/Underwriter said, it's a well-known fact that BoA will HP for any customer initiated CLI so it really shouldn't be a surprise.  I've had nothing but positive experiences with BoA underwriters, but I've never asked them to explain their policies - they just tell me what will happen and I either accept it or move on.

Regarding Capital One, it is strange how un-empowered their front-line staff seem to be, but at least they're consistent.  Yes it seems excessive to have to email the CEO for a CLI after 4 years, but they all have their "things."  Chase is known for reconsideration, Amex for 61 day CLI and so on.  In any event, their CSR's and EO have always been pleasant.  I see a lot of people who aren't happy with their credit steps limit increase after 6 months and instantly feel they're entitled to something more, but can't even bother to use a search engine to find the EO contact.

Its similar to when I went into a Dennys one time and asked for my burger to be cooked medium. The waitress informed me that all burgers had to be cooked well done as it was state law and they could not make the burger medium. Unfortunately for her I was well versed in the state law and had never heard such a thing and she ended up admitting that it was just the restaurant policy and it isn't really a law when I called her on it. Never had that problem with any other waitress or any other restaurant. It was weird. Sometimes CSR/sales people just make stuff up when they don't know the real answer. 

I'm not disputing things get made up, but to expect a CLI from BoA with a SP is clearly not the way they work.  To expect otherwise is putting the CSR in a difficult position - most of us here know better, but the majority of the general public probably does not.

Message 44 of 62
red259
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@negg wrote:

I'm not disputing things get made up, but to expect a CLI from BoA with a SP is clearly not the way they work.  To expect otherwise is putting the CSR in a difficult position - most of us here know better, but the majority of the general public probably does not.

I don't think people were really outraged by the HP, which is not uncommon among lenders. Its just the absurd reason given by the CSR that people were commenting on or at least that was what I was focused on.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 45 of 62
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Blah blah blah...
Entitlement this, credit steps that.
Hey, Capital One helped build my credit history, and that's lovely.
However, Capital One didn't consider a longer term relationship with me. Just on Amex, I spent and pif prob about $10k last year. Had Cap One increased my cl appropriately, that could have affected their bottom line. Now I know many people have excellent aprs and cls with C1, and that's great. They weren't working for me so I shut 'em down. It is quite simple 😉

As far as the BOA HP for cli thing... I hate HPs just like the next guy but the last hp I took for BOA resulted in a $6500 cli and the last hp I took from Discover resulted in a $4250 cli. Def worth it. Every bank has it's quirks.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 46 of 62
fltn
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Blah blah blah...
Entitlement this, credit steps that.
Hey, Capital One helped build my credit history, and that's lovely.
However, Capital One didn't consider a longer term relationship with me. Just on Amex, I spent and pif prob about $10k last year. Had Cap One increased my cl appropriately, that could have affected their bottom line. Now I know many people have excellent aprs and cls with C1, and that's great. They weren't working for me so I shut 'em down. It is quite simple 😉

As far as the BOA HP for cli thing... I hate HPs just like the next guy but the last hp I took for BOA resulted in a $6500 cli and the last hp I took from Discover resulted in a $4250 cli. Def worth it. Every bank has it's quirks.

+1

I always expect a HP and if not that is a plus. I would have take 10 HP's if Cap would have matched Discover's HP for $8301 

Message 47 of 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Had Cap One increased my cl appropriately, that could have affected their bottom line.

<hyperbole detected>

Wow, you must spend a LOT!  Cap One's 2012 revenue was $21.4B and net income $5B.   So even if they had tripled your CL, I don't think they would have seen a bottom line difference.   But yes, they could have kept you as a potentially profitable customer.

Message 48 of 62
fltn
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Had Cap One increased my cl appropriately, that could have affected their bottom line.

<hyperbole detected>

Wow, you must spend a LOT!  Cap One's 2012 revenue was $21.4B and net income $5B.   So even if they had tripled your CL, I don't think they would have seen a bottom line difference.   But yes, they could have kept you as a potentially profitable customer.

Capital One is MY bottom line in Kohl's form.

Message 49 of 62
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@fltn wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

MJ

LOL That's me from now on. No more posting.

Plus I will have a hand free to eat some popcorn. 

You better keep posting to find the answers you seek your a part of this community Smiley Wink Don't have me come get you Lol

Everyone should remember this is a public forum and my views may not be the same as your views 

But all view should at least be heard. Now what you do with that info is up to each and every person as you apply it to your profile 

I've sat back all night and read this thread and have my own view of CAP1

and it's all good in my case but YMMV

Since I opened my mouth Barclay is all good too ...Lol 

IME, Capital One has been great and so has Barclays.  Not every lender works for everyone but that's the beauty about choices in a free market economy.

Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.