Capital One - Fired

tag
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One - Fired

@NRB525 wrote:

@MaisCher wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It must feel great to have the depth to drop a account and not worry. I still keep my Cap one plat. open even though it has a AF (39 or 59) just because it is my oldest open account, lol.

Congrats on outgrowning them!

Once I realized closed accounts still report & factor into your AAoA for 10 additional years it made it much easier. Smiley Wink My other 2 cap ones are also pretty old and I'll likely keep the no AF one. Maybe...

How much are you using the no AF CapOne card?

Haven't used it at all in 2 months but I'm gonna put Netflix or something on it. It's still in the sock drawer though. I used them heavily before I got my NFCU in Nov. no real point now.

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 21 of 43
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

I fired Cap 1 a while ago they are JV in the credit / banking world.  The commercials make them seem like an even bigger gimmick IMO.

Message 22 of 43
taxi818
Super Contributor

@MaisCher wrote:

Today I said goodbye to my 12 year old Capital One Platinum Card. Opened in April 2003 with a limit of $400, it remained that way until Nov 2014 when the EO stepped in and blessed my credit profile with an increase of 200 BIG ONES! After my Venture approval I made one last request for a CLI just for old times sake, denied. I also called to see if the $3 monthly fee I'm charged could be waived, also denied.

So today I resigned to the fact that I've outgrown my little friend who helped me so much back then and I set it free.

Wow. Me being one of those never clse card people. Must say bravo on this one. Yikes 12 years. 200 big one increase. I would clean my wallet with Lysol from that card. Smiley Happy 

Message 23 of 43
NRB525
Super Contributor

@jlocust wrote:

Hi guys. First time poster.  I actually just started rebuilding my credit exaclty one year ago today.  Cap one was one of the few people to give me a credit card with a cli of 250.  I actually make handsome amount of of money, but appearently that's not something reflected in one's CR.  Anyhow, I had a CapOne for exactly six months when they so "kindly" upped the CL to 750.  Ouch.  My own credit union (OnPoint) gave me CL of 2000 around the same time.  The issue is, the company I work for has a tendency to say "you need to travel to this place" at a momoents notice.  We're talking 4k out of pocket  (that they will reimberse).  My mission for the last year was to get ANY credit card that would allow me to travel at a moments notice without having to worry about leaving a crater in the savings account.  

I knew my company was going to need me to travel soon, so I hit the love button on my QS1.  My response from Cap was, "no , we just upped you 250 a month ago, so .. GFYS"(not an exact quote).  Fine... I apped for a delta amex gold and BAM! 1000 CL.  Nice, but that really doesn't work either.  So I managed to put 3K through the amex in 2 months to get the bonus 30k miles.  When the 61 days came around, I did the CLI request, and "NOPE".  Well crap, a year of meticulous quantitative spending and paying bills according all the information I garnered from these forums didn't seem to help.

So here's what I tried that's different:  I apped for the Cap Venture tonight... 10K  approved... Really?!  Because you just told me that 750.00 was a risk a month ago.  I honestly don't get it.  So I recalled the fact that I'm a veteran!, and I apped USAA...  4K... Woot! Success!..   

I think the moral of the story is.  Get your use out of the cap one MC... and go get something better.  

Congratulations on the Venture card, and on the other sucesses! Your Capital One experience is actually part of a common pattern developing here: A cardholder gets a starter card with CapOne, it reaches some internal limit with them about where the card can possibly go. The cardholder builds a trackrecord with CapOne through that card, and then apps for a more premium card, such as Venture, and CapOne is able to grant a CL that reflects the updated cardholder history.

Regarding the AMEX, the denial of a 3X CLI indicates something else is holding you back. What are your credit scores from here, MyFICO? Your credit history may also be a little short since only the CapOne was there earlier. Keep using the AMEX, giving them a payment record, and the 3X CLI (or even an auto CLI, I got one from $2K to $3K from AMEX Delta Gold) will be available, probably 6 months after that 61 day CLI request. The auto CLI from AMEX can come at any time, as long as you keep maxing out and paying off that $1k limit.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 43
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

Got the Marriott card a few days ago so I fired one of my two QS1 cards. This gets easier each time I do it...

Smiley Very Happy

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 25 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MaisCher wrote:

Once I realized closed accounts still report & factor into your AAoA for 10 additional years it made it much easier. Smiley Wink My other 2 cap ones are also pretty old and I'll likely keep the no AF one. Maybe...

There is actually a point bonus if you have an account for over 20 years.  So it looks like you'll get 22 years (12+10) out of this card.

I have a 20 year account dropping off later this year and I hate to see it go.  I kinda wished I kept it open longer. 

If you have a non-AF CapOne that is old as this one, I would suggest keeping it open as long as possible to get as many 20+ year accounts as possible.

Message 26 of 43
supervelous
Regular Contributor

Awesome!  I did the same thing to Crap 1.  I finally got my credit score up pretty high and asked them for a CLI from my measly $300 limit.  They declined.  I then proceeded to app for prime cards from Chase, Amex, Barclays, etc and almost all approved for 5K - 15K limits.  Also, all the prime cards I got approved for had rewards, the Cap 1 had no rewards AND an annual fee to go along with the toy limit.

I dumped Cap 1 the same day and swore I'd never do business with them, that was now 2 years ago and I still won't consider one of their cards, they are on my own personal blacklist.

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another success story!
Message 28 of 43
L-TWT
Established Contributor

congrats, its always nice to hear a consumer not settle! nor waste their time with a company just for the sake of credit history!

Message 29 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my platinum for 6 months. Went from 500 to 3500. Did they give u any problem on the product change? How did that go? I'm thinking about it.

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.