Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Fraud Alert?

tag
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Fraud Alert?

Today I was called by Capital One Fraud Alert and given a case number to call back with because they suspected fraud on my account. I am a new Capital One cardmember and used my Quicksilver for the first time yesterday. All I did was verify the last 4 of my SSN and then they called the number linked to the account to verify that I had contacted them just then and also opened the card.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do they do it for everyone? I noticed while applying that there were no questions that cross-referenced with info on my credit report to verify my identity beyond my SSN like I have seen with other accounts. Is this just Capital One's way to verify new accounts? Seems like more hassle than just verifying at the time of application.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Fraud Alert?

@barthooper wrote:

Today I was called by Capital One Fraud Alert and given a case number to call back with because they suspected fraud on my account. I am a new Capital One cardmember and used my Quicksilver for the first time yesterday. All I did was verify the last 4 of my SSN and then they called the number linked to the account to verify that I had contacted them just then and also opened the card.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do they do it for everyone? I noticed while applying that there were no questions that cross-referenced with info on my credit report to verify my identity beyond my SSN like I have seen with other accounts. Is this just Capital One's way to verify new accounts? Seems like more hassle than just verifying at the time of application.

I never had it happen with my cap 1 card, but it happened with a chase card. Fraud alerts are fairly common with new cards. Especially if you make a large purchase right after getting the card. Nothing to worry about. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 5
creditFiend
Established Contributor

I wrote a post about my CapOne fraud alert. But it wasn't a new acct. I received an email & called them with the reference #. There were fraudulent activity that had taken place that day. I only needed to verify that the charges were not made by me. It was a painless process. My acct. was closed, & I was issued a new card immediately. Just call them to clear things up.
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 3 of 5
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@JaB8199 wrote:
I wrote a post about my CapOne fraud alert. But it wasn't a new acct. I received an email & called them with the reference #. There were fraudulent activity that had taken place that day. I only needed to verify that the charges were not made by me. It was a painless process. My acct. was closed, & I was issued a new card immediately. Just call them to clear things up.

In my case, it was a legitimate purchase. It was painless to clear it up with them but I was confused about my account being flagged. It was less than $20.

It just seems weird to me because the stated reason was to verify my recent application, not the purchase itself.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 4 of 5
waters
Regular Contributor

I'm going through this now.

Two Saturdays ago I got a wakeup call from capital one. They said my card has some fraudulent charges.

They could identify the bad charges because in each case the card was swiped but the cvv and exp date didn't match up.

They verified I had my card on me and issued me a new one.

IIt's going on 3 weeks soon and I still have the 6 charges in question (about $200) in limbo as they research.

Hopefully they figure it out soon. $200 on hold with a 1000cl is a lot. Lol

6/2014; EX:621 EQ:627 TU:640
Cards: Capital One WORLD MC (QS): $7500 | Chase Freedom $3500
Sock: Merrick Bank $600 | Barclaycard $1250 | Sportsman's guide visa $2500

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.