cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One / HSBC no longer doing credit limit increases?

tag
zullyquirke
Contributor

Capital One / HSBC no longer doing credit limit increases?

I just put in for a credit limit increase on an HSBC card, now a Capital One card since the acquisition, and I got this message back:

We are writing to you in response to your inquiry regarding your Account
ending in xxxx issued by Capital One Bank (USA), N.A. or  Capital One, N.A.

We apologize for any inconvenience regarding your credit limit increase
request. At this time, Capital One has made a business decision to not grant
credit limit increases. You are welcome to check back with us periodically for
the availability of credit limit increase requests in the near future.

You are important to us and we appreciate your business.

Are they really not doing any CL increases? That seems really bizarre to me. 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One / HSBC no longer doing credit limit increases?

Standard reply.  They've been using that one for awhile.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 26
zullyquirke
Contributor

Is it worth a call, or are they really not issuing any increases then? 

Message 3 of 26
Chadsnana
Valued Member

No, it is not worth a call. Hubby has excellent credit and asked for an increase on a $500 card that he has. Cap1 turned him down so he cancelled the card. In case you are wondering, he only wanted a $500 card in the beginning because he uses it for business expenses and did not want to put those expenses on his personal cards. Hubby was looking for another $500 increase. He had the card for over ten years. Capital One would not grant an increase or waive the annual fee.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC/
Message 4 of 26
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I also have a former Orchard Bank card and once Cap 1 took over, the credit increases stopped. I called them and asked if they were still doing increases and the rep lied and said yes. I told her it has been the longest period since I received an increase and I don't think it is going to happen. She said I could always App for a Capital One card if I wanted. So I decided to app and got approved for a Cash Rewards card with a $2000 limit. The former Orchard Bank card has been at $1100 CL since last summer. I don't think it will ever go up again. I did get an email a few days ago from Capital One for former HSBC card holders saying that a Cap1 will be sent in the mail early next year to replace my Orchard Bank card. I wonder which one, anyone have an ideas on what type of Cap1 card will be sent out to Orchard Bank customers?

After we close on our mortgage in Feb, I plan to app for either a Chase Sapphire or AMEX card. Until then, I am making do with these tiny limits. I really want to take the family on a worry free vacation and I can't do it with the stupid cards I have now. I just use them for everyday purchases.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 26
zullyquirke
Contributor

What a bummer. Mine's an Orchard card too; not sure what they're replacing them with. I opened mine a year and a half ago as an intro credit rebuilder card. I'm in a gardening period for now, but once I get out I'll have access to better cards. I'm already a tier up from where I started when I apped this one. If they really aren't ever going to increase my CL I may just close the thing once I start getting better cards. 

Message 6 of 26
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I am thinking of closing my line too after getting better cards. The APR is enormous as well as the annual fee. I opened the Orchard Bank card in 2008 as a rebuilder with a $300 limit. Got up to $1100 limit in July 2011. CL hasn't moved since. It helped me rebuild and I guess that is the only good thing. It would be nice if along with sending the new Cap1 card, they send a CLI along with it. Not putting any money on that!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 7 of 26
yvaldez29

Hey guys,

im pretty new to this forum but while reading your comments ill tell you abt my experience with CAP1.  i had recently called becasue i have 2 accounts with them, one  which is over 7 yrs old. 

Visa Plat. 500 CL Since acnt opne date in 05

Mastercard Plat. rewards started off with 500 CL increased ater 6mo to 750  Acnt opend in 2011

i had called their main line and dealt with the CSR which told me she will review my accnt and  let me know if  qualify.  After a little while (which i suspected) came back and told me i did not qualify for a CLI at the time and i will be receiving a letter.  Went ahead and called corporate and the same thing happened with the CSR which told me at the moment i do not qualify for a CLI.  Well, then i decided to write directly to their corporate email expressing my frustration this morning.  to my surprise they called me a few hrs later apologizing and asked me a few questions.  they asked what would be a reasonable CLi on both of my accnts.  i gave them my honest answer and they verified income and employment status.

the CSR told me she will go ahead and review the accnt and get back with me in a few days.  so right now I'm currently waiting with  my fingers crossed.  thought i share my experience with you guys since i've spent the past couple of days stalking the heck out of this forum. Je Je!

Currently waiting on a response so wish me luck.

Message 8 of 26
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Please let us know how it goes. Man! 7 years and no increases. That really shows what Cap1 is about. Sucks!

From what I've read, emailing corporate is the only glimmer of hope for most people.
Message 9 of 26
yvaldez29

For sure @Movingfoward ill let you know how it goes.  The wait is going to kill me.   :/

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.