Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One (Income verification?)

tag
roniram
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One (Income verification?)

I had an old Orchard Bank card that had a $600 limit and I obtained a new Cap One card  (credit builder) in June of this year with a $400 limit.  In September, I asked for an increase online - and got denied.  Went through the EO, and asked for $5K on each, and QS upgrades. They asked for income verification, and increased both cards to $1000.  Hey, its was a start.  Later on, they increased the credit builder card to $1,500.  So, it can work.  I'm gardening, and next year, I'm going to see if I can get a little closer to that 5K limit. 

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@JustJen wrote:

Even though they never increase my CL, even when I tried through the executive office...it's been awhile so I figured I would try hitting the button on the website. I got the dreaded you'll receive a response in the mail so I just figured it was another denial. I almost didn't even open the letter once it arrived, but it turns out it was a request for income verification from them via USPS before they will make a final decision. Anyone else ever had to do this with capital one? If so, what were the results?

I've read about this happening to students on another forum...are you a student?

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 12 of 21
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

I have never had a CCC ask for income verification.  I have 7 CC's and for all they know I make $500/year.  Yet, they still give me CLI's when I put in how much I make.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 13 of 21
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

With that said, when a CCC asks for my tax returns, I will be closing that account.  None of their business.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 14 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@JustJen wrote:

Anyone else ever had to do this with capital one? If so, what were the results?

Income verification is something that any creditor can request.  Results will vary as everyone's credit and income are not the same.

@dallasjetfan wrote:

With that said, when a CCC asks for my tax returns, I will be closing that account.  None of their business.

A borrower's income is certainly a creditor's business -- especially when a creditor suspects that a borrower may be exceeding whatever threshold they've established for underwriting and needs to validate that the borrower does have the stated income.  That said, it's your call whether or not you want to comply with an income verfication that requires tax transcripts as evidence.

Message 15 of 21
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Can't remember who asked...but no I'm not a student. I believe at the time I first got the card I was either in grad school or just finished. Either way at the time I didn't have a very high income at the time and admittedly this cap1 card was my first after being irresponsible with credit in my late teens, so I'm sure it's probably their rebuilder card. 

It's my oldest card so even though the limit is paltry I leave it open...lol hoping one day it will increase. I have two with them...and by the looks of it the other has been converted to the Quicksilver card (still a low limit, but higher than the one the CLI is in for).

Message 16 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@takeshi74 wrote:

@JustJen wrote:

Anyone else ever had to do this with capital one? If so, what were the results?

Income verification is something that any creditor can request.  Results will vary as everyone's credit and income are not the same.

@dallasjetfan wrote:

A borrower's income is certainly a creditor's business -- especially when a creditor suspects that a borrower may be exceeding whatever threshold they've established for underwriting and needs to validate that the borrower does have the stated income.  That said, it's your call whether or not you want to comply with an income verfication that requires tax transcripts as evidence.

+1

Message 17 of 21
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@JustJen wrote:

Even though they never increase my CL, even when I tried through the executive office...it's been awhile so I figured I would try hitting the button on the website. I got the dreaded you'll receive a response in the mail so I just figured it was another denial. I almost didn't even open the letter once it arrived, but it turns out it was a request for income verification from them via USPS before they will make a final decision. Anyone else ever had to do this with capital one? If so, what were the results?

Yes. When I talked to them about a CLI they sent me the forum requesting my proof of income. I ended up getting an increase of $150. To be fair, I got an increase of $100 a week or so (more or less) before I decided to contact the EO.

That all being said, after I sent in those documents, received the increase of $150 and stewed a while.. I paid off both of my cap 1 accounts completely to zero and emailed the EO again. I got a call from a new person, a gentleman, and then managed to get another $750. So after the button pressing gave me $100, $150 from the first EO and my talk with the second EO, my account went from $750 to $1750 in about a month to 6 ish weeks.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 18 of 21
notfancy
Valued Contributor

PS- I will be contacting them again in June for another increase. They are incredibly nice in the EO department, and I think my card will continue to grow with me if I use them and if I keep my balances low. I don't blame them really for the $150 increase, and requesting the income proof. I carried balances for basically the entire two years I've had my accounts, and never actually PIF'd them til recently as I didn't realize what an impact it had on my scores and their wanting to give me CLIs. I usually had my utilization at 60-98%.. and understandably, they didn't like that.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 19 of 21
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@JustJen wrote:

I just received this letter.  I requested a CLI through the EO...figured I'd request 3x my current CL.   I received a letter asking for income verification.   I will get a recent earning statement when I return to work on Monday and fax to them.   Wish me luck!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.