Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Interest Rate Issue

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

Capital One Interest Rate Issue

So my Capital One card has been in penalty APR (29.40%) for a LONG time now...over a year at least, but I just realized it should be a temporary thing and not permanent. According to info on this site, 6 months from after the last late payment it should revert back to normal APR...is this correct?

I wrote a letter to Capital One asking them to switch it back to the normal APR, which i cant even remember what it was at this point, but they just sent me a letter back saying they are "currently unable to lower the APR's on their products."

Anyway, I happened to just be bored and clicked the balance transfer offer link on my Capital One account main screen and it said if I did transfer balance to my Capital One card it would be subject to my "existing purchase rate APR of 14.8%"....

Does this mean that this is my APR currently and its been switched from the 29.40% and I just havent noticed because I havent gotten the latest statement with the new interest rate on it?

Interest Rate...Maybe?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Interest Rate Issue

In the past, many banks would charge a different rate for new purchases vs. existing balances.  Since the laws have been changed, that no longer seems to be the case.  However, I doubt they will change the rate on existing balances that have been assigned a penalty APR.  Guess you'll have to wait for your statement in order to know for sure.

Message 2 of 5
chasmith
Valued Contributor

The new credit card act requires them to reinstate the non-penalty rate after six months of timely payments.  But I wonder if they put you "in the penalty box" before the new law took effect and are relying on that to keep you there.

I might write back politely asking why they aren't honoring the provisions of the law (cite the specific section, I don't have that handy).

Something like:

Dear Crap1:

Thank you for your letter of MM/DD/YYYY declining to reinstate my non-penalty rate.  I have made X current payments since MM/DD/YYYY and I don't understand why you aren't following Section ZZZZ of the Dodd/Franks Act. 

Please return me to a non-penalty rate or explain the reason you decline to do so.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Read Section 171 of the Credit Card Act 2009.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 5
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

If they refuse to drop your rate, I'd get ahold of your other cc companies & ask about a BT.  Check for BT fees & rates.

Then sock drawer the Cap 1....  They obviously have given you no incentive to continue using them, but a good reason to stop.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.