cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Interest keeps reporting after statement closes!! Irritating.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Interest keeps reporting after statement closes!! Irritating.

I finally paid down 6 cards 100%. Cap1 and Barclay report interest right afterward so it doesn't end up being zero on statement. $9.48 on Barclay, $2.55 on Capital One, $3.27 Capital One. The thing is, I've been struggling the last 12 months to pay down 100% on multiple cards. When I finally do, it doesn't report that way. 2% utilization instead of 0%. I don't understand how this is possible or how it works, can someone enlighten me? Thank you! Do you think my scores will be different as opposed to actual 0%?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Interest keeps reporting after statement closes!! Irritating.

Please don't pay everything down to zero. I just did and took a 20pt drop. Always leave at least one card reporting, just under 10%. 

It felt good to pay everything off. Now I have to wait a month for my points back. Good look. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have 3 cards reporting balances. Not there all the way yet. I was just really excited to have 7 cards report zero, but 3 really didn't. I don't understand how they can charge interest after the fact? Confusing.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah its annoying. You either have to pay in full the day the statement cuts, or you need to push a payment from your bank account so there's a negative balance showing on the statement to account for interest.

Message 4 of 12
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I finally paid down 6 cards 100%. Cap1 and Barclay report interest right afterward so it doesn't end up being zero on statement. $9.48 on Barclay, $2.55 on Capital One, $3.27 Capital One. The thing is, I've been struggling the last 12 months to pay down 100% on multiple cards. When I finally do, it doesn't report that way. 2% utilization instead of 0%. I don't understand how this is possible or how it works, can someone enlighten me? Thank you! Do you think my scores will be different as opposed to actual 0%?

It's mostly because you are getting dinged on interest on the statement before the last if there was a balance being carried over. Most banks have a 25 day grace period for carrying balances but that's on a per month cycle.

There are things you can do to be better prepped. First, calculating your projected interret at the end of a statement cycle:

1. Take your APR and divide it by 365 (days in a year). Example: if the APR is 15.99%, the math is .1599 / 365)

2. Multiply the result by the current balance on your card

3. Then multiply that result by the number of days you've been carrying that balance.

The ending result is what you'd pay in interest right before the statement is cut for the current statement cycle. Just take this amount and add the balance - this is what you need to schedule to pay on your due date.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 5 of 12
bobbay
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I still have 3 cards reporting balances. Not there all the way yet. I was just really excited to have 7 cards report zero, but 3 really didn't. I don't understand how they can charge interest after the fact? Confusing.

Capital one bills you interest in the month you carry a balance. When you pay your account in full you will still be billed interest until the following month, if you continue to pay in full you will not be billed for interest. 

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha. Thanks. Frustrating. I just checked myfico and it says balance changes $0- $4 and $300- $2 stupid!
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

With capital one you are allowed to make a payment equal to 110% of your balance, so I usually overpay it by 5-10$ and that covers the interest Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 12
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Gotcha. Thanks. Frustrating. I just checked myfico and it says balance changes $0- $4 and $300- $2 stupid!

Happened to me with Cap1 and they actually credited it back to my account. 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happens to me a last month when I was paying down my cards. Paid it down to $0 and thought all was good. Statement came out and I noticed a $27 charge on my account. Called and they actually refunded the amount. Now the card is just a sitting duck collecting dust.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.