cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Journey for Students. Worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Journey for Students. Worth it?

I am a 21 year old college student. I currently have 3 cards, and would like to add one more before I hold onto the ones i have for a year or two, at least through the end of college. I am wondering if  anyone who has the journey for students can tell me if its worth it? I am fairly confident I will be approved for the card. This card will likely be used very little, but having the credit to use wold be nice.

Any advice is appreciated

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Journey for Students. Worth it?

Its a starter card but its not bad. My question is though didnt you just get your 3 cards? Let them age use them responsibly and give it time. No more apps for now. Then you can skip journey and get a QS down the line.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Journey card was my first real credit card after I started rebuilding. It started with a 1k limit and after credit steps completed (5-6 months) they auto raised me to 5k. I did use it very heavy and made large payments, but I would say getting this card was worth it, especially now that we can combine limits.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a 21 year old college student. I currently have 3 cards, and would like to add one more before I hold onto the ones i have for a year or two, at least through the end of college. I am wondering if  anyone who has the journey for students can tell me if its worth it? I am fairly confident I will be approved for the card. This card will likely be used very little, but having the credit to use wold be nice.

I say totally worth it! After 6 weeks of having it they PC'd me to a regular QS w/ no AF. I don't know what other cards you have, but if you can support the triple pull, I say go for it. You'll likely get a better limit than the crap limit I started with but I also got a CLI after 2 statements. (still waiting on credit steps)

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know a lot of people recommend just 3, but my thoughts are to go balls to the wall when you are starting out. You may take more of a ding in the short term, but long term, it is for the best. And that is what we are all going for right? Good credit long term. When you go for that additional card later, it will just nick your AAoA instead of really denting it.

So I say go for it, and get a few more while you are at it.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You get a cashback bonus every month you pay on time.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your scores and inquries? Have you checked their prequal site? It is easier to get approved for from what I've read, and it could be converted to a QS later.  I would avoid capital one like the plague but that is just my opinion. Everyone here loves them, which for rebuilding they are great, and nice for building I suppose. But if you can avoid the 3 inquiries, why not do just that? Try chase or citi or amex prequals. If citi gives u an exact apr its solid.

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.