Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Journey's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Journey's

Hello All

I just turned 18. I am on my way to building credit as a FT employee and college student! I was approved for Capital One Journeys Student cc with a $750 CL. I looked over the terms and conditions and I do not know what this means. 

Annual FeeNone.
Transaction Fees 
  • Transfer
None.
  • Cash Advance
Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
Penalty Fees 
  • Late Payment
Up to $35.
  • Over-The-Credit-Limit
None.
  • Returned Payment
Up to $35.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Journey's

It means if you accidently charge over your credit limit of $750, you won't be charged a penalty fee. It's a good thing in case you make a mistake and go over. But don't make a mistake and go over Smiley Happy

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 2 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Some cards impose an over the limit penalty.  There are scenarios where you may exceed your $750 dollar limit.  One easy example is if you rack up 750 in charges and neglect to pay enough to cover interest and then you go over 750 limit.  Some cards will charge you penalty for being above it.  Seems your card does not.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay sweet!!  I definitely do not intend to go over but that is very generous especially for students. What is a good amount to spend a month in order to build credit I am trying to move to Discover or the CITI student card w/ better rewards.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

Some cards impose an over the limit penalty.  There are scenarios where you may exceed your $750 dollar limit.  One easy example is if you rack up 750 in charges and neglect to pay enough to cover interest and then you go over 750 limit.  Some cards will charge you penalty for being above it.  Seems your card does not.

Okay. I am little confused so i.e. I spend 750 my first billing cycle and pay it off before grace period will it affect me? 

Message 5 of 18
Captain4Ever
Established Member

I never had a Cap1 Journey before.  Is that true that they provide you monthly credit score ? 

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes absolutely you can track it monthly with a tool through Capital One Journey

@Captain4Ever wrote:

I never had a Cap1 Journey before.  Is that true that they provide you monthly credit score ? 

Message 7 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Okay. I am little confused so i.e. I spend 750 my first billing cycle and pay it off before grace period will it affect me? 

No it will not aside from reporting to CRAs that you have high utilization.  Capital One cards report the balance to the CRAs a couple of days after a statement is generated.  My example was of someone who didn't make any payment before grace period and was assessed interest charges that brought them above.

Message 8 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes absolutely you can track it monthly with a tool through Capital One Journey

@Captain4Ever wrote:

They provide you a FAKO or an educational credit score that is not used by any lender.  But since it is free, better than nothing.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

No it will not aside from reporting to CRAs that you have high utilization.  Capital One cards report the balance to the CRAs a couple of days after a statement is generated.  My example was of someone who didn't make any payment before grace period and was assessed interest charges that brought them above.

Great! Is a high utilization indication of high risk or anything?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.