cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

!!! Capital One Just Closed All 4 of My Cards !!!

tag
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Re: !!! Capital One Just Closed All 4 of My Cards !!!

My 2 cents , not trying to be mean or rude, BUT... You had good Intentions in what you where doing and using features thats

was available to you on your card. You had it all under control and was PIF each month. Very good. But seems as you was grabbing $4k each month 

and paying right back.if you where able to dish out PIF each month, why couldn't you just hand him your own cash out

your own bank account ? Could he not wait until you had cash available to give him ? Seems as if you didn't have problem coming 

up with the cash to PIF . Or was the $ to PIF borrowed from else where ? Just a thought of mine and wanted to asked what was 

wrong with using your own cash since you had access to so much at 1 time each month to pay Capital One .

sorry this happened to you.

Message 131 of 219
Officer737
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's horrible, officer, sorry that happened. I don't think these agencies that retain data do much in terms of verifying they have the correct person. For almost 2 years I had another person's address popping up periodically on my EQ, and I didn't even know that person - somehow made it on there because he had the same last name. Great quality control.

I hope Gregg is ok and this gets resolved.

Thank you! And I agree 100%. It's almost like if they have 3 files that one might mention a pink elephant, another just says elephant and the third mentions an elephant trainer....they assume they are all related because all 3 mention elephant and link them all together. Their quality seems to borderline neglient and criminal. I'm sorry you seem to be having similar issues with the address thing. 

Message 132 of 219
Officer737
Established Contributor

@tamaralig wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that I know LexisNexis is guilty of. They were the reason our insurance on our home went up after the original quote. They claimed that we had muiltiple hail damage claims and come to find out it was not us. It was my DH moms house and because he used that address until we bought our house it went in his report as multiple claims. No amount of explaining did anything. Good thing she has the same insurance company we have, they had to straighten it out and I believe that only happened because we were friends with the agent. Same thing happened with our car insurance. Had claims on there and wrong annual mileage on a practically new truck. OP I hope everything works out I know with all of the hard work I've put in for the last year I would be knocking on Cap1 main office doors.

I burned up the phone line LexisNexis so much I think they finally blocked my phone number......so I used *67 and kept calling anyways. Now I call them about every 6 months just to give them a hard time Smiley Very Happy

Message 133 of 219
Anonymous
Not applicable

@msbia wrote:

G, I am so impressed by your candor and sharing this story with the forum. Again, LadyJ was awesome to share that pin with you so you reached resolution earlier, and didn't have to wait two days. I'm going to stay static in saying, these banks are not our friends and family; your family is the brother you helped. Unfortunately, the result of your helping did not turn out well for you, but in the end....you helped your family and that's what counts. Do as you stated, garden for a while, then get a card with NFCU or Penfed. You will quickly recoup the lost CL with those banks. Stay strong and thanks for sharing. 

+1 I am so sorry this happened to you.

Message 134 of 219
Officer737
Established Contributor

WOW Gregg, sorry to hear that! I'd say get them PIF, sock drawer them if you want and move to a better card if you want. CC companies are a weird bird sometimes. 

Message 135 of 219
Officer737
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gregg, I am so glad you checked back in with us, but sad for the outcome.

You can be very proud that you helped a member of your family, and that was a very kind thing to do. No action by a financial entity can take away from your good deeds and your good heart. You've been a wonderful myfico forum member, so helpful to us all, and you are well respected here. Many hugs, my friend. You will come through this with flying colors.

+1 Agreed!!

Message 136 of 219
Anonymous
Not applicable

Again..from the bottom of my heart...thank you...ALL of you...for all your help and support..will add a few things when I get to my office

Gregg
Message 137 of 219
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, I'd like to publicly thank G for helping me in PMs(no, not with PMS).  I think he may have been the first person I reached out to for help, as I told him, because he seemed so approachable.  Your write up on the update was highly commendable, for what you must have been feeling at the time, and a number of folks have already expressed their gratitude that you didn't leave them hanging, like that other thread that was hyperlinked in here, or to a lesser extent, the Comenity alert thread. Smiley Wink  (too soon to joke?  I know you like to keep things light)

Your writing technique was also good, even in your darkest hour.  I particularly appreciated "Lola"(lol...uh), and that you wrote in twist and turns like an episode of NBC's Dateline(which my father says almost always turns out guilty, as a side note), to the point where I think I thought I read a good outcome, but was tricked, at least once!  (for remote viewers, I am not busting his chops, I found the write up very well done, and refreshing after reading so many pages in this thread).  G, you have a way of creating mega-popular/speculation-inducing threads lately!  If nothing else, you could take some pride knowing the following you have here!

The simplest way to put it, is that you helped the heck out of your brother in exchange for your cards, and I believe you when you say you'd have done it again(which I interpet to mean even if you had known this would happen).  I'm not sure if more than a tiny percentage of people outside of these type of boards(which are a bit cult like if we are to be honest) would understand the full extent of you losing those cards, especially taking into consideration all youve been through.  

As others have said, you have some choices, and should be in a position to bounce back.  I know re-upping with cap1 would cause anyone to have to swallow a great deal of pride in this situation, and would also leave the cloud of the possibility of future AA looming.  Trust can be a hard thing to regain, and to me it didn't sound like cap1 one cared overly much about doing so.  

I really hope the best for you with this situation, and (possibly selfishly) am hoping you keep us updated.  I don't know about you, but I likely would have gone back to the bottle if this happened to me.  I truly hope you can find solace in seeing the outpouring of support from people who truly care about you!  If jealousy wasn't a sin I might be having some right now!  Smiley Wink  For everything there is a season, but I'd rather not allow you to make the mistake I've made of mourning for too long.  I think youre too good for that, and life seems adept at giving people challenges they can handle, whether they rise to the occasion or not.  A GOOD sleep sometimes can make the world feel different the next day, whether I drank a lot to bring it on, or not.  I hope when you awake you feel better, and your mind thinks about other things so that you can sense a bit or normalcy before falling back into this mental trap.  I know this sucks, and I can appreciate it to an extent, but it's up to you wha you wish to focus on.  As I write this, it occurs to me my subconscious may be writing half of what I write for me to read as well.  I hope you are feeling better after it's had time to sink in, and you've had time to adjust, and possibly plan your attack to mitigate the losses and continue your credit journey.  

And on a different note:

To be fair to the new board villain, bodyboy1, he brought up a number of valid points.  I myself have, including recently, said things where the content was ok, but the delivery wasn't too favorable.  Some may see that as the case here.  From a Darwinian standpoint where it's the science of survival instead of emotion and tradition/manners, BB1 seems quite solid.  I say this even though the guy was adamant I sign up for some Comenity cards last week(which I may or may not have done, with the SCT), a couple of days before he started a thread saying he closed his!  To me, that was more scandalous than this(and maybe even Kim Kardashian's activities for the day).  I found myself a bit perplexed about that, but this current message, on its own, bears merit.  Count the number of times more major details were added that made a perplexing story suddenly make a lot  more sense.  That's what BB1 was getting at, as well as speaking his own truth that nobody else could speak for him.  I don't know, I respect that and kind of admire the spunk, if not the exact manner he laid it out.

His admonishments for G dn't necessarily have to be taken in a bad way.  Should we automatically assume he, in his own way, wasn't trying to help with his warnings?  They may be off base(if other lenders aren't privy to the reasons for the closures), but even if so, it doesn't necessarily mean he had any ill will(or didn't, for that matter).  

At any rate, if anyone disagrees that a large portion of his logic was sound, please let me know.  And this is completely ON topic, for the faint of heart.  The ability to think critically is dangerously low in this society, and that's why we allow government to do what it does, and fail to question the official story even when it's absurd.  If we stick to the facts, BB1 didn't vall anybody any names, yet he got some called at him, which I dont think was necessary.  I dont recall who it was, nor do I wish to, as I prefer to leave folks with a clean slate when I can, instead of burning bridges like I have in the past.  It isn't logical to try to correct BB1 by showing him worse examples than what he did, even if his logic turned out to be less sound than I thought after reading this epic-length thread mostly in one sittiting. 

I may be partially playing devil's advocate here, but I don't really see BB1 as the devil after this, and I hope that my rambling helped at least one person to reevaluate based on a new perspective.  If people would rather see me be critical of him, I suppose I can if you really want.  I wish he'd back down less, with the "happy holidays" exit.  And what's with using that PC term anyhow?  Merry Christmas BB1!  Smiley Wink  

While I'm here, I'm going to own any typing errors and chalk them up to a number of things including lack of sleep, but not blame them on some super expensive device I'm covertly advertising for free.  Have I left anyone unoffended?  Smiley Happy  I guess I have, the bankers.  There were multiple ways they could have handled this situation differently.  As it was, it was completely amateur hour down to the very notes they could have left in the system to prevent all of the confusion, unless the 5 minute holds were more like huddles and/or for show.  

Message 138 of 219
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Officer737 wrote:

WOW Gregg, sorry to hear that! I'd say get them PIF, sock drawer them if you want and move to a better card if you want. CC companies are a weird bird sometimes. 

How can he sock draw them when they closed them??????????????

Message 139 of 219
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All....

I just got home after sitting in my car.....exhausted from today....tears in my eyes from what has happened. I first want to thank ALL OF YOU....from the bottom of my heart...for all your assistance. As many of you may know I try to always bring a light hearted feel to my posts, and always attempt to be as edifying as possible. I have fought back from such a low point in my life and, as such, have decided to do everything I can, as per this medium...to help those who are going through the same. I have come so far..which..as I have noted...is why I am utterly devastated by what has transpired today.

To recap...went online this morning to check my accounts and saw that all 4 had been restricted (big red lettering). When I contacted Cap One they transferrred me to an "Executive Escalation Rep" who pretty much told me that all 4 accounts had been closed because of past, present and/or pending legal action.  I informed this rep that I had absolutely nothing pending or current...that yes, after my divorce I had judgements and a tax lien  (all released/paid and past statute)...but that my credit was stellar..no baddies..no nothing. The rep said wait for the letter...nothing else she could do.....

Thanks to LadyM (THANK YOU) I received a pin and contacted the EO earlier today. In first speaking with an EO rep I explained to her that I was totally blown away by this closure...that I had perfect credit, not only with the bank, but with all my cards. Always pay all cards in full before statement cuts, only allowing 1 card to report. Never late..no judgements..liens...NOTHING. She said hold on to take a look...comes back a minute later and says "wow...I have no idea what happened...you have a perfect pay history...let me gt my supervisor.....

A few minutes later I am transfered to an EO supervisor named Lola who says she will take a look at the account and get back to me. About 5 minutes later she gets back on the phone and tells me that yes...my payment history is perfect...credit is great...but the accounts have been closed and will remain closed, not because of any legal action...but because of how the accounts were handled (closed by the security dept).......let me explain....

I have a younger brother who is recently divorced and down on his luck...he is behind on his bills, in collections...almost lost his car, all while trying to support 2 young girls.  Although I do very well and am fairly liquid and solvent i dont keep that much cash available in my accouts (I get paid once a month, at the end of the month) and am heavily invested. My brother needed some cash in order to take care of things...so I used my venture and took out a few cash advances over the past few months....one for 5k one month...another for 4500.....all for about 4 months and about 18K.....but paid all my statements in full....never late...no balance. Used the cap one cards b/c I knew how cool they were. Witin those 4 months cap one raised my limit and, just recently, sent me three envelopes full of transfer checks. Never saw a problem.

The rep said that all the cash activity raised an eyebrow, putting my accounts into revew wherein, the decision was made that said accounts were to be closed. (all 4, not just venture). When I asked the rep why this would happen she said that the bank did not like all the cash advance activity. But do you know that every time I did a cash advance and was charged a fee I received a fee credit from the bank...making it a wash. So....the rep said I am free to apply for another card, and with my creit I should have no problem getting a high line. ???????? I said how can you close my 4 accounts...all in good stamding...never late...paid in full....because you say I am handling the accounts poorly...yet tell me to apply for another card b/c I should get a high CL???  She said that is a good question. Why not just reopen my accounts...if you dont want me to use the card for cash advances...fine..no problem...hey...give me  cld...but dont close them.....she said...already closed....cant be reopened...ever.

So I said there must be an appeal process....someone else to speak with..a VP...someone. She said no. So....here I am...$34,500 light...and devastated. I had three of the 4 accounts already pif, and will pay the fourth off tomorrow, so my utilization will be the same (was 5%...now will be 8...so i will take a score hit)....dont know how much the damage will be...regardless.....just so hurt....bad memories creeping back....feeling helpless and just plain down. i was going to apply for something tonight...maybe nfcu or penfed...just to get some money back...but decided to just garden the cards I have left....and work them.....so

I dont know if there is any other recourse available to me. If there is anyone else at cap one Eo I could talk to....cfpb...Just dont know. In retrospect, yes I can see how all the cash advances could raise a flag.....but, as I brought to the rep's attention (with her in agreement)...never late...always paid in full...credit line increases...balance checks...high scores...no debt.

Again....my love and heartfelt thanks to all of you...really. So so much.

Gregg

Great insight into the business practices at CapOne.  Sorry this happened to you but you will rebound!  Yet another reason I will never ever do business with this company.

BNTX

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 140 of 219
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.