Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One...LOWERED my interest rate?

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Capital One...LOWERED my interest rate?

In my case, that's a big fat YES!

My interest rate (standard Cap1 Platinum steps card) has always been 22.9%. I checked my statement dated 5/27 and they have lowered it to 16.9%. I didn't even know they could count that low for a rebuilder card!

I would ask why, but I really don't care at this point. They have both increased my CL and lowered my interest during the past year...oh, and they credit my AF like clockwork. Sure, I use the h*ll out of that card, but I feel it's good form on their part nevertheless Smiley Happy

Edited to include:

OK, so I have to push them a little to credit the AF Smiley Wink

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One...LOWERED my interest rate?

@CreditCrusader wrote:

My interest rate (standard Cap1 Platinum steps card) has always been 22.9%. I checked my statement dated 5/27 and they have lowered it to 16.9%. I didn't even know they could count that low for a rebuilder card!

I would ask why, but I really don't care at this point. They have both increased my CL and lowered my interest during the past year...oh, and they credit my AF like clockwork. Sure, I use the h*ll out of that card, but I feel it's good form on their part nevertheless Smiley Happy

Edited to include:

Thats incouraging news for Cap1 cardholders!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Edited to include:

Congrats !  I think Cap1 throws a bone to a few lucky people every so often, so it looks like you're a winner !!   What is your CL on the card now and how much have they increased it ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

How long have you had the card?

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I hope to see the same success with them closer to my 1 yr mark

Message 5 of 8
remarc
Regular Contributor

I think if you check your letter and I could be wrong but they are offering to lower your APR for 6 months and then it will return back to normal. They offered me this when I called them most recently..

Not much of an offer if you ask me. 

If you did get a permanent lower APR.. Very much congrats

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually would be really interested if what remarc said turns out to be accurate.  I would not put it past Cap1, but as has been stated already, they do occasionally throw out bones...  I guess there are some people at Cap1 that actually know and do their jobs?

Message 7 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Edited to include:

Congrats !  I think Cap1 throws a bone to a few lucky people every so often, so it looks like you're a winner !!   What is your CL on the card now and how much have they increased it ?

CL is now $1,500...began at $500, stepped to $750.

To the others, I have had the card for coming up on 2 years now. With regards to the APR being temp, I called both their CSR and backdoor reps...both have verified that it will be the interest rate moving forward...nothing temp about it.

Of course, they can always bump it up down the road if they want to...all card issuers can. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this for what it is...an unexpected blessing Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.