Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Missed Payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Missed Payment

So I've had this secured card since August and I was suppose to make a payment yesterday and it totally slipped my mind. I incurred a $25 late payment fee when I checked my Capital One App just now. I have went ahead and made a payment however I'm so curious as to how this will affect me with future increases. I have already had an increase two month ago. Do you all suggest I call Capital One? I am really looking forward to an increase soon as hope the one day late won't affect me as much.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Missed Payment

@Anonymous wrote:
So I've had this secured card since August and I was suppose to make a payment yesterday and it totally slipped my mind. I incurred a $25 late payment fee when I checked my Capital One App just now. I have went ahead and made a payment however I'm so curious as to how this will affect me with future increases. I have already had an increase two month ago. Do you all suggest I call Capital One? I am really looking forward to an increase soon as hope the one day late won't affect me as much.

Well, as far with reporting to the CB's, it won't make it because those are only reported after 30 days, so if it was a couple days later, then that shouldn't be a problem. As far as their internal goes, most will follow the 30 day rule for reporting. You're not going to see another CLI for another 4 months anyways and as long as you don't make a pattern of it, you should be okay. Besides, when their looking at you for a CLI, they're generally looking at your overall credit report and if the late pay isn't on there, they really don't care.

Just to be safe though, use online chat or give them a call just to see what they say.

Message 2 of 13
Skymogul
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Most lenders will disregard a single late payment, especially if only a few days. A second one would be a problem for sure. Always set up autopay to pay the minimum payment on the due date to keep that from happening.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

that"s problem if you want get CLI. i had  situation with QSONE capital one and i apply for CLI and received the letter :

You recently either missed a payment or made a late payment on your account. Generally, we don't approve credit line increase requests on accounts that have missed or made a late payment in the last 12 months. The longer your account was past due, the longer you need to wait to be eligible to receive a credit line increase.

and than called them 3 to 4 time with no result , one day when i called and talked with supervisor , he said you need to  make calaim and he connect me to claim department and they made it and they said will be conatct me next few days,

they called me and i explained them the reson for late payment, and they told me how much you need more credit line? and i said $3000, we will send letter 7 to 10 days,

i remeber the next day when i check my limit, was increase from $500 to $2000,

YOU JUST NEED TO MAKE CLAIM FOR THAT LATE PAYMENT.

GOOD LUCK

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying. I will try contacting them but I already want to point out that they do not check my credit report when considering an increase. I think they determine solely on my account internally.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I went ahead and set up auto pay to avoid this issue in the future. Thank you for the suggestion. I just hope that this one late payment does not put me in a bad situation for future increases but like you said since this one I don't think he should be a problem.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which department did you speak with? You said the claims department are you referring to the same department that you contact when you want to dispute a charge or is this another department?
Message 7 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good job setting up auto pay. This can happen to the best of us. For me i use the KISS principle , and i just have all my account written down and when they are due . I check my accounts every couple days to make sure they are good, no fraud, and it really helps. If one wants to improve their credit and or create better credit habits, its good to be more proactive with your accounts. Just my hoSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for replying. I will try contacting them but I already want to point out that they do not check my credit report when considering an increase. I think they determine solely on my account internally.

When you request a CLI they soft pull. They know your profile, you can bet on that. As well as your internal profile with them. 12 months before a CLI due to the late payment. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing for graduating to an unsecured card?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.