Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Mixup

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Mixup

I am so mad at myself right now! I cancelled my autopay on one of my capital one cards to move the payment sooner and somehow clicked a very old checking account number, which caused my payment to be returned. It's the same checking account but the account number changed when my purse was stolen 7 years ago. I'm not sure how I did it because I usually triple check everything before I hit submit but obviously I screwed up. So now I have a returned check AND a late payment messing up my record with them. I paid it right away (with the correct account) but it has still messed up my history now. Anyone ever had a returned payment with cap one? How bad are the consequences?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Mixup

If you weren't 30 days late, you'll be OK credit wise. Most lenders have an internal system that can hurt you in the way of CLIs and such. I'd just make sure to call and explain although if you haven't already so they can notate the account. It might help you to have it documented if there is a problem in the future.

I'd delete that old checking account on every single card too just to make sure it can't happen again. It's so frustrating when a click of the mouse screws you up. I had to rush a deposit into Navy Fed the other day 40 miles away because of my itchy trigger finger. Ugh

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you post this, just last week I paid my bills for the month and somehow miscalculated something on the spreadsheet I used and my payment to my Venture card was returned- I would have overdrawn my account $60 had it cleared, but didn't have overdraw protection. Luckily I still had a week and a half left before it was due and received notice both from my bank (Capital One 360) and a day later from Capital One credit cards and paid on Friday and it cleared today, before Thursday's due date. When I online chatted with them they essentially said it happens and don't worry about it. I immediately after applied for overdraft protection on my checking account should this happen again in the future.

About 2 years ago I had a Capital One QuicksilverOne (their "sub-prime" card, $500 limit) and missed the payment due date by 3-4 days. As soon as I realized, I made the payment online and called them, they were very forgiving and mentioned my excellent payment history with the secured card I had at the time going back two years. It didn't affect my CLI to $3,300 a few months later and last July they approved me for a Venture card at $15,000 limit. Overall they tend to be very reasonable and forgiving in my experience, however YMMV based on individual history. I wouldn't worry stop much if you weren't 30 day+ late but would call them regardless to explain what happened.

Hope all fairs well!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I called Cap One this morning to explain the situation and to find out how bad this is for my account.  The customer service rep that I spoke with didn't really understand the purpose of my call or what I was trying to explain but he did at least waive the late fee (which I wasn't really asking for because it was my fault) and hopefully there is a record of my call.  I guess I will see when I try for my next CLI in a few months.....

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.