Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One - OMG!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One - OMG!!!!!!

That is amazing!!!!

Was this a starter card to begin with? I assume not with a CL of 1400 to begin with.

It only took them 12 years to give you a CLI.

I'm so happy for you but, IMO Cap1 still is the worst CCC out there.

I know when I apped for my Cap1 CC last year when I was rebuilding it would never be a "Prime" CC, but after one year with them and I have run tons of money thru my 500CL CC and PIF every month that they might show a little love (250CLI?? 500CLI??) Nothing. And I'm not waiting around for 12 years, and besides I'd never get the CLI you did with my rebuilder card.

Where I'm at now with my credit and the "Prime CC's I have now with high CL's, even if Cap1 gave me an increase from 500 to 1000 I will still cancel the card in July, One year one month old.

I have no use for a Cap1 CC with a 1000CL and a 39AF 18.99APR.

But for you I am sincerely happy, and I believe you deserve it!!

Message 11 of 46
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

What people here need to realize is that average/rebuil credit version from Capital One is for those who have thin file (less than 3 years for Capital One). As such there is a cap as to how much credit they are going to extend to you. 

If you have Venture card, or other excellent credit version from Capital One, they are more likely to give you more credit along the way.

This is not about how much charges you run through the card, but which card do you have.

Besides poor customer service and lack of customer initialed CLI, I find Cap 1 to be a very good CC. Lack of FTF and no minimum threshhold/period for cashback redemption is something that most lenders are lacking.

Message 12 of 46
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

That is amazing!!!!

Was this a starter card to begin with? I assume not with a CL of 1400 to begin with.

I know when I apped for my Cap1 CC last year when I was rebuilding it would never be a "Prime" CC, but after one year with them and I have run tons of money thru my 500CL CC and PIF every month that they might show a little love (250CLI?? 500CLI??) Nothing. And I'm not waiting around for 12 years, and besides I'd never get the CLI you did with my rebuilder card.

Where I'm at now with my credit and the "Prime CC's I have now with high CL's, even if Cap1 gave me an increase from 500 to 1000 I will still cancel the card in July, One year one month old.

It was kind of a rebuilder card of sorts. As I've mentioned in other threads, I was very irresponsible when I was young and ruined my credit. I restarted in the 90s with a Cap1 secured card. I did well with it and they offered me an unsecured card -- the Visa with a 1400 CL. I closed the secured card. I also got a FP with a 500 CL that NEVER moved; I finally closed it a couple of months ago. I also got a couple of other rebuilders.
The Cap1 stayed at 1400 because I didn't really understand how util affected scores. I would use the rebuilder cards and close the monthly statement with a good chunk of my avail credit used up. I then PIF, thinking that I was doing fine. But then I would never get approved for prime cards, and I couldn't understand why. I got very frustrated. Then we were hit with hurricanes two years in a row. It affected our finances, I fell behind, lates started to show up on my reports, etc.......  A couple of the rebuilders had grown to ok-ish CLs ($1900, $1400, $3200), but were cancelled due to the lates and close to and/or overlimit history. I felt like I was going to be stuck in subprime h*ll forever and became very, very discouraged. I managed to hang on to the Cap1 and FP, paid them in full, and am almost completely done with paying off the cancelled cards. By the end of next month, I will be 100% free of consumer debt! 
Now I'm seeing much more than light at the end of the tunnel. This is my second attempt at rebuilding, and I believe that this time I'm going to make it. I now have a much, much better understanding of how credit works, thanks in very large part to these forums. My finances are under control and I'm seeing positive results from my efforts. Between the Amex approval last month and the Cap1 CLI, I'm FINALLY starting to feel creditworthy once more. These have been huge milestones for me!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mustang, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, except my APR is worse (24.9%). I kept paying it off several times per month at first just to keep using it a lot, since a $500 limit doesn't really buy anything.  At least the card was enrolled in credit steps so after 5 months I went up to $750, and that's where I'm sitting at now. But now I'm stuck in the same limbo as everyone else since there's only one guaranteed 'step' in the program.

Message 14 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

trumpet, I do like no FTF on the cards. But with one of their lower-tier cards, your credit line is so small that you're really not going to have much money to spend on it abroad anyway. And I'm not going to try to pay off my card WHILE I'm on vacation.

But I'll agree that I've heard a lot of good things about the Venture card.

Message 15 of 46
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Nicely done, tinuv!

I received an increase back around December 22nd or so and for some reason have it stuck in my head that they do regular account reviews at 6 months intervals. so, I put an Outlook Calendar reminder to let me know when it's June 22nd and that I should check for a Capital One bump...

Probably pure bullocks, but that's my superstition.

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing the good news.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 46
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@trumpet-205 wrote:

What people here need to realize is that average/rebuil credit version from Capital One is for those who have thin file (less than 3 years for Capital One). As such there is a cap as to how much credit they are going to extend to you. 

If you have Venture card, or other excellent credit version from Capital One, they are more likely to give you more credit along the way.

This is not about how much charges you run through the card, but which card do you have.

Besides poor customer service and lack of customer initialed CLI, I find Cap 1 to be a very good CC. Lack of FTF and no minimum threshhold/period for cashback redemption is something that most lenders are lacking.

I agree with what you're saying. While I didn't have an "excellent" version card with Cap1, I have had a long history with them. My file may have had problems, but it's not thin. At this point I have to believe that Cap1 has seen that I have been able to keep my account open and active with them through the bad times and have been able to come out the other side.
I'm grateful that Cap1 gave me my very first rebuilder card after the bungles of my youth. I'm grateful that they gave me an additional card -- No Hassle Cash Rewards -- last year during this second period of rebuilding. And I'm very grateful that they've finally rewarded me for my efforts. They have earned a very loyal customer in the process.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 17 of 46
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

trumpet, I do like no FTF on the cards. But with one of their lower-tier cards, your credit line is so small that you're really not going to have much money to spend on it abroad anyway. And I'm not going to try to pay off my card WHILE I'm on vacation.

But I'll agree that I've heard a lot of good things about the Venture card.

The card that just received the CLI is a plain vanilla card -- no rewards. I wonder if they might PC me at some point in the future? The CL that they just gave me is within the bounds of a Venture card. I might ask in a few months. By then my backdated Amex should be reporting, a couple of old baddies should have dropped, and my reports should look even better! Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is amazing!!!!

It was kind of a rebuilder card of sorts. As I've mentioned in other threads, I was very irresponsible when I was young and ruined my credit. I restarted in the 90s with a Cap1 secured card. I did well with it and they offered me an unsecured card -- the Visa with a 1400 CL. I closed the secured card. I also got a FP with a 500 CL that NEVER moved; I finally closed it a couple of months ago. I also got a couple of other rebuilders.
The Cap1 stayed at 1400 because I didn't really understand how util affected scores. I would use the rebuilder cards and close the monthly statement with a good chunk of my avail credit used up. I then PIF, thinking that I was doing fine. But then I would never get approved for prime cards, and I couldn't understand why. I got very frustrated. Then we were hit with hurricanes two years in a row. It affected our finances, I fell behind, lates started to show up on my reports, etc.......  A couple of the rebuilders had grown to ok-ish CLs ($1900, $1400, $3200), but were cancelled due to the lates and close to and/or overlimit history. I felt like I was going to be stuck in subprime h*ll forever and became very, very discouraged. I managed to hang on to the Cap1 and FP, paid them in full, and am almost completely done with paying off the cancelled cards. By the end of next month, I will be 100% free of consumer debt! 
Now I'm seeing much more than light at the end of the tunnel. This is my second attempt at rebuilding, and I believe that this time I'm going to make it. I now have a much, much better understanding of how credit works, thanks in very large part to these forums. My finances are under control and I'm seeing positive results from my efforts. Between the Amex approval last month and the Cap1 CLI, I'm FINALLY starting to feel creditworthy once more. These have been huge milestones for me!

That was a very heart warmimg story tinuviel, I'm so happy for you, you seem to be on the perfect track now, and I wish you all the success in the world.

I don't know you, but I feel very proud of you, and YOU should feel very proud of yourself, you have done a wonderful job, I would like to shake your hand and say congratulations, but since I can't do that, I want to tell you, CONGRATULATIONS my Friend, keep on keeping on, and you will be where you want to be before you know it.

Thank you for sharing that story with all of us, you are an inspiration to myself and I'm sure to many others here at MyFico as well.

Message 19 of 46
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Nice, nice bump up!

Congrats!!  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.