cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum no longer offering graduation.

tag
Tischer712
Regular Contributor

Capital One Platinum no longer offering graduation.

I just got off the phone with Capital One, and was informed that the Platinum Secured card is no longer eligble for graduation, but I was more than welcome to apply for an unsecured card since I have had my account for one year....The whole reason I got this card was because of its graduation possibilities. I am beyond pissed...He said If I was looking for an increase in credit limit, I was more than welcome to deposit more money. So beyond annoyed. Kept this card immaculate all year, and nothing. 

I also called Wells Fargo, who I have a secured card with also, they denied my request for a CLI and a graduation. Told me to wait another 6 months and they will check again. Once again this card is spotless with low balances...

Just needed to ventt!!!!!!

Starting Score: myFico Scores Equifax 544 Transunion 585
Current Score: myFico Scores Equifax 655 Transunion 663 Experian 645
Goal Score: 700 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum no longer offering graduation.

@Tischer712 wrote:

I just got off the phone with Capital One, and was informed that the Platinum Secured card is no longer eligble for graduation, but I was more than welcome to apply for an unsecured card since I have had my account for one year....The whole reason I got this card was because of its graduation possibilities. I am beyond pissed...He said If I was looking for an increase in credit limit, I was more than welcome to deposit more money. So beyond annoyed. Kept this card immaculate all year, and nothing. 

I also called Wells Fargo, who I have a secured card with also, they denied my request for a CLI and a graduation. Told me to wait another 6 months and they will check again. Once again this card is spotless with low balances...

Just needed to ventt!!!!!!

Cap1's secured hasn't been eligible for grads in a very long time afaik. And even when they were, I don't know how many they actually did. WF does actually review accounts for grad, as I've heard a few people getting one, but it isn't a common place thing. 

with those scores you should be able to just app for another WF unsecured card and get accepted. 

Message 2 of 5
Tischer712
Regular Contributor

Yea, but what is weird when I applied for this card, I talked to a rep and he was talking about graduation possibilities. I would of never opened it if there was NO chance...Oh well. 

I could get some better unsecured cards, but we are months away from doing our first mortgage, so no apping for anything in the meantime. I will wait till we get our mortgage and then I will take care of getting some new, better credit cards.

Starting Score: myFico Scores Equifax 544 Transunion 585
Current Score: myFico Scores Equifax 655 Transunion 663 Experian 645
Goal Score: 700 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Tischer712 wrote:

Yea, but what is weird when I applied for this card, I talked to a rep and he was talking about graduation possibilities. I would of never opened it if there was NO chance...Oh well. 

I could get some better unsecured cards, but we are months away from doing our first mortgage, so no apping for anything in the meantime. I will wait till we get our mortgage and then I will take care of getting some new, better credit cards.

Most cap1 CSRs have no idea what they're talking about. 

And you're right, I would agree with not apping before your mortgage Smiley Very Happy However I have heard of some successful apps right after a mortgage Smiley Very Happy 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I know the pain of crap1, no credit limit increase is available for you now, but we periodically tell our customer that we review their accounts and if you are eligible for an increase you will see on your statement, or you are more than welcome to apply for a new card, but you will get declined sucka. I am not a fan. My card was unsecured and they did that stupid step program which means a limit of 750 capped after 7 months so I do not use it now wont even carry it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.