Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Platinum

@Anonymouswrote:

There are many instances where one's "starter" card through Capital One won't grow as your credit score does. 

If your credit score grows, you're better off cold apping or seeing if you're prequalified for one of the better cards... That is after your credit improves significantly first. 

+1

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
300 :/

My capital One started at $300 to $400 to $750 to $2250 in 11 months.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to grow pretty slow still.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
It seems to grow pretty slow still.

It's a rebuilder card so it doesn't grow fast.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You’re right, you’re right.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Quicksilver MC that I got in February 2017 when I was early along in my credit rebuild with TU scores in the 620's; that card had a $3000 SL and an auto-CLI of $500 in August. I PC'ed it to Quicksilver in June, but aside from the aforementioned auto-CLI it's resisted all attempts at customer-initiated CLI's. Based on @ABCD2199's article linked earlier in the thread, as well as numerous remarks here and elsewhere, it seems pretty evident that this is a "starter" card that'll never grow beyond where it currently is. (One clue is that it still has the "Platinum" name on the back of the card under the Mastercard logo, which I've seen mentioned before as an indicator that it's a lower-bracket card.)

Now, that being said, I got a new QS Visa Signature last month with a $10K SL. I haven't gotten a "Credit Steps" email connected to this card (whereas I did with the previous card), so I'm pretty certain that this card is higher-bracketed and capable of growing. My current plan is to zero out the QS MC and combine it with the QS Visa in probably early July, once the Visa ages to the 6-month mark required for combinations, and go looking for a higher-bracketed MC.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

So would you recommend a combination rather than upgrading it? As in if I got a new card?
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend to build your credit history and scores for a while before applying for a second Cap 1 card. You're eligible for a new card every 6 months, but I'd personally wait until next January because your scores and history will be much better by then. Once you get a new Cap 1 card with a good "non-starter" SL, then you'll have to wait another 6 months before you can combine your old card into the new one, and you need to be sure that the old card is completely paid off (including any stray interest charges from the previous month). As is often said here, credit is a marathon, not a sprint, and requires a lot of patience. That being said, I'd check other issuers' prequal sites to see if you can get at least one other card that will help you build your credit history, Discover, for example. Synchrony and Comenity issue a great many retail cards that are very easy to get, but I advise great caution in applying for those, only get the ones you know you're going to use regularly.

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate you responding! That helped out a lot. I’ll play the waiting game then. Thanks a bunch!
Message 19 of 21
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

Pretty similar to my experience, and this thread is exactly the info I was looking for.

I got a Platinum in Nov 2016 @ $2k, upgraded to a QS about 6 months later. I've recieved tiny CLIs up to the currect $3200 line. Meanwhile, my Discover started at $1800 in March 2017 and a year later it's at $4700.

I've thought about apping for a better card and doing the combine thing, but in all seriousness, I think there are better banks out there than CapOne I can get into since I'm two years into the rebuild and it's going very well.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.