Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Pre-Approved Cards

tag
Locksley123
Regular Contributor

Capital One Pre-Approved Cards

I have Capital One Platinum (MasterCard) and recenly asked for CLI, but was denied. Apparently they do it a lot because of current credit crisis. Fine, so instead I went to their website and looked for pre-approved offers. For those who don't know, there is a form which you fill out and they tell you which cards you are pre-approved. My results were 3 cards, one of them was Standard Platinum (MasterCard).

Does anyone know if Standard Platinum and Platinum are different cards/versions of the same card? I've seen they also have Classic Platinum card. 

Also, has anyone had success recently applying for pre-approved cards? If yes/no what were your scores?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Pre-Approved Cards

I recieved a pre approved yesterday. I was hesistant but applied online anyway. To my suprise, I was approved. The terms were, $39 a year membership, 0 financing for 6 months, but my credit limit will be sent to me when the card arrives. The very minimum is going to be $200, accoring to the contract.

I have my credit scores posted below and they are pretty bad. I was so happy to get approved because I am trying so hard to rebuild.

- Liz

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah, this was for a CapOne Platinum MC...
Message 3 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats! Be sure to find out if they're offering their Steps program. It has automatic CLI's built in as long as you behave yourself.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've said this before, but it seems to get missed a lot. Cap One pre-approval is useless. They are not pre-approving YOU.  They are rather suggesting cards that *might* suitable for you based on information you told them about your credit, as opposed to actually pulling a soft on your credit report and seeing for themselves. I think that's the reason so many people say they are preapproved ont he site and don't get the card. For exmple here is what they ask:
How would you evaluate your credit history?

Excellent Credit

Good Credit

Average Credit

Limited Credit

I understand that this is not a credit card application

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 03-01-2009 09:22 AM
Message 5 of 13
tray
Valued Contributor

Hi, does anyone know if Capitol One blacklists at all.  Thanks for any information.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

posts show they have been known to forgive esp. after good behavior for a few years.

@tray wrote:

Hi, does anyone know if Capitol One blacklists at all.  Thanks for any information.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Regarding Cap One blacklisting - they did not for me.  I have a (paid) charge-off with them that's still on my reports and they still gave me a card.
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 13
Locksley123
Regular Contributor

It actually doens't matter for me which info I give them. I get the same 3 choices.
Message 9 of 13
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

clocktick wrote:
Regarding Cap One blacklisting - they did not for me.  I have a (paid) charge-off with them that's still on my reports and they still gave me a card.

Same here.  I had a card that went awry about 10 years ago and they gave me a new card in Jan 08.  Plat MC that started at 3k, went to 3750 w/ requested CLI, 4250 w/ steps, and finally 5250 w/ another requested CLI.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.