Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Pre-Qual for Visa Signature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Pre-Qual for Visa Signature

Good morning! A few questions for all of you knowledgeable people...

I tried out the Capital One pre-qual this morning and up front and center was the Quicksilver with the Visa Signature logo on it. 

Is the pre-qual on that site reliable? If I apply, is there a chance that I might only get the regular QS and not the Visa Signature version? Is the card worth having? It seems the consensus on the board is that Capital One is not the most favorable because of triple pulls and low starting limits, but I'm enticed by the possibility of the Signature card. 

My current plan is to apply for a Chase Freedom and Amex ED in the next few days when my credit report updates a new lower balance one of my cards. Am I better off just sticking with this plan for these two cards? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Pre-Qual for Visa Signature

Do you see the opt out prescreen notice anywhere?  Does it offer you a specific interest rate if you click on pricing and terms?  If both, it's likely a legitimate offer.  However, make sure all three of your bureaus are clean and close to the same.  You don't know which bureau was pinged for the SP to make this offer.  If that one is clean but others are not, you could still get denied since CapOne is a tri-pull.

Please look for the opt out prescreen notice and see if it offers you a specific APR.  You'll see the opt out prescreen notice somewhere at the bottom of the screen and pricing and terms should say your APR WILL BE __% and not a range like 13.99 to 22.99 based on credit worthiness.

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@axledobe wrote:

Do you see the opt out prescreen notice anywhere?  Does it offer you a specific interest rate if you click on pricing and terms?  If both, it's likely a legitimate offer.  However, make sure all three of your bureaus are clean and close to the same.  You don't know which bureau was pinged for the SP to make this offer.  If that one is clean but others are not, you could still get denied since CapOne is a tri-pull.

Please look for the opt out prescreen notice and see if it offers you a specific APR.  You'll see the opt out prescreen notice somewhere at the bottom of the screen and pricing and terms should say your APR WILL BE __% and not a range like 13.99 to 22.99 based on credit worthiness.

Yes, have both the opt out notice and a static APR rate offered, not a range. 

My reports are almost all identical, but EX is clean while the other two have both a paid collection for $181 and an unpaid collection for $75 from 2009. I do have some lates from the same time frame. Actually, those lates show on the EX as well I believe. My EX FICO is 734, My TU FICO is 676 and I don't know my EQ FICO since I don't have access to it, only FAKO for that one. All of my new credit is perfect, an auto loan, a secured card, a care credit card and three store cards. Secured card is two years old, all others within last year. Hardly any inquires on my reports and the ones that are there are over 6 months. My utilization will be 13% once my reports update for one card, right now it's at 16%.

Is the card worth having though? Or am I good with the Freedom and Amex? I was preapproved for the Freedom, going to take a swing at the Amex. 

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have the Venture rewards and Platinum Prestige showing up, if that helps with any advice.

edit: Don't need a balance transfer card, looking for rewards cards.

Message 4 of 21
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

Yes, have both the opt out notice and a static APR rate offered, not a range. 

My reports are almost all identical, but EX is clean while the other two have both a paid collection for $181 and an unpaid collection for $75 from 2009. I do have some lates from the same time frame. Actually, those lates show on the EX as well I believe. My EX FICO is 734, My TU FICO is 676 and I don't know my EQ FICO since I don't have access to it, only FAKO for that one. All of my new credit is perfect, an auto loan, a secured card, a care credit card and three store cards. Secured card is two years old, all others within last year. Hardly any inquires on my reports and the ones that are there are over 6 months. My utilization will be 13% once my reports update for one card, right now it's at 16%.

Is the card worth having though? Or am I good with the Freedom and Amex? I was preapproved for the Freedom, going to take a swing at the Amex. 

I love mine.  I like that the rewards post immediately after the charge posts.  If you're seeing the opt out prescreen and a specific APR offered, you'll likely get approved although I don't trust CapOne's prequal as much as say Chase or Amex (both are 'money'; you get an offer and it's dang near guaranteed).  I recommend the card if you need a general spend card for charges that don't fall within a higher rewards category.  Of course, there's always the Citi Double Cash for that, too but honestly, I like CapOne's website better and payment options more.  I don't know what's best for you; I can only give you the info I've learned whereas to help you make the best decision.  If you decide to apply, please let us know how it goes.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@axledobe wrote:

I love mine.  I like that the rewards post immediately after the charge posts.  If you're seeing the opt out prescreen and a specific APR offered, you'll likely get approved although I don't trust CapOne's prequal as much as say Chase or Amex (both are 'money'; you get an offer and it's dang near guaranteed).  I recommend the card if you need a general spend card for charges that don't fall within a higher rewards category.  Of course, there's always the Citi Double Cash for that, too but honestly, I like CapOne's website better and payment options more.  I don't know what's best for you; I can only give you the info I've learned whereas to help you make the best decision.  If you decide to apply, please let us know how it goes.  

Thanks so much for your advice, I think I know what I want to do now Smiley Happy I will update when I get it done, just need that account to report the update!

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and the other question....if the Visa signature is showing, that's what I would actually be applying for, right? I won't get surprised with a regular Visa when it arrives or anything, will I? Does anybody have any experience with that? 

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, and the other question....if the Visa signature is showing, that's what I would actually be applying for, right? I won't get surprised with a regular Visa when it arrives or anything, will I? Does anybody have any experience with that? 

You could very well get the regular Visa if the limit is under 5K.

Message 8 of 21
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Just a heads up. Visa Signature doesn't mean it has a minimum of 5,000. You can be approved for 3,000.

Edit

Message 9 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

What are your other limits? Is the APR 12,9 or 16,9% on your offer? Mine was 16,9% and I did get approved for 5K CL QS VS with same limit as my BofA cards at the time.EQ Fico was 790 when they approved.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.