cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Pre-Qualify. Here, now it's gone?

tag
mechanicaljen
Regular Contributor

Capital One Pre-Qualify. Here, now it's gone?

Still gardening away, slowly watching my score increase.  Planning to pull the trigger in June on a few apps.

I have a Capital One secured card that I've been using since October.  About 6 weeks ago..I got on their site, and checked to see if I was pre approved for any of their unsecured products.  I was pre approved for Platinum, and Quicksilver!

Nothing has changed since then.  NO inquiries.  Lower UTIL.  Accounts slowly aging.  Score gone up ~10 points, according to Credit Karma.

I checked this week on Capital One, just to look at my pretty pre approval again. I'm no longer showing up as pre approved, just gives me a list of recommended products.

Is this normal?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Pre-Qualify. Here, now it's gone?

I just checked and it is there.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 2 of 10
mechanicaljen
Regular Contributor

......What I mean is.  I *was* pre-approved a few weeks ago.  And now, I am no longer.  Though nothing has changed, and my score is better..............

Message 3 of 10
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I f you opt out or freeze your report you wont get one. If not it's strange.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 10
mechanicaljen
Regular Contributor

I did not opt out, or freeze my report.

Message 5 of 10
mt2va
Established Contributor

I'm not sure I trust their pre-qualification as being accurate anyway because I tried it and it showed I wasnot pre-qual for anything.  (no surprise to me as I've burned them before) In fact about a year ago I tried for their secured CC and was not approved.  But on a whim decided to app for the Quicksilver card and was approved instantly for $300. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 6 of 10
subsnao
Regular Contributor

@mechanicaljen wrote:

Still gardening away, slowly watching my score increase.  Planning to pull the trigger in June on a few apps.

I have a Capital One secured card that I've been using since October.  About 6 weeks ago..I got on their site, and checked to see if I was pre approved for any of their unsecured products.  I was pre approved for Platinum, and Quicksilver!

Nothing has changed since then.  NO inquiries.  Lower UTIL.  Accounts slowly aging.  Score gone up ~10 points, according to Credit Karma.

I checked this week on Capital One, just to look at my pretty pre approval again. I'm no longer showing up as pre approved, just gives me a list of recommended products.

Is this normal?

I have 2 theories:

1) This happened to me with Citi, as they just did a system upgrade. I had some pre-qualify offers, but after the system upgrade they went away and now I have none.

Cap1 might have done a system upgrade and reset all pre-qualifying offers.

2)  This one is more likely. I am fairly certain that those offers have an expiration date, and yours just so happened to expire before you were ready to jump on it. Either keep and eye out on the offers or just go ahead and apply anyways.

In the garden as of 2/22/2015
Scores:
TU: 753 (Discover FICO 7/2014) EQ: 721 (FICO 4/2014) EX: 723 (FICO 3/2014)
Message 7 of 10
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

@mechanicaljen wrote:

Is this normal?

I wouldn't think too much of it.  It said that I was not prequalified for anything, but I was instantly approved.  I think that you would get approved if you apply! 

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't put too much into it either, I have been off and on with that tool for the better part of a year now. 

Message 9 of 10
mechanicaljen
Regular Contributor

Whew, thanks for the reassurances!

Fairly certain that CapOne is my surest bet for my first unsecured card, when I'm ready.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.