Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Pre qaulify

tag
tjdutch
Established Member

Capital One Pre qaulify

It says "We couldn't match your records to a card offer, but based on your answers, we think you like like this card, standard platinium". Was I denied?  Should I apply?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sddykstr
Valued Member

Re: Capital One Pre qaulify

I got that too from Discover. They said it could be because my address had recently changed or because my CR was frozen. Something to that tune. Wasn't sure if that was the polite way of denying.

Starting Score: 653
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@tjdutch wrote:

It says "We couldn't match your records to a card offer, but based on your answers, we think you like like this card, standard platinium". Was I denied?  Should I apply?

In my experience, NO... do not apply if it doesn't say "congrats, we have an offer for you"

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I applied last year and it denied me and offered me to apply for secured card... I applied and it was also instantly denied... 6!! Hard pulls hit my credit!!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't mean you were denied credit, it just mean you were not "pre-approved." The only way to find out if you're approved is to submit an application.

Just an FYI, Capital One pulls all three of your credit reports.

Message 5 of 7
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

No, that's just a pre-qualify.  Means, they didn't have you in their marketing database already to match the verification information that you provided to an offer they may have already sent or was preparing to send.

Most people start with the Standard (easiest) or Classic (easy) Platinum cards before waiting 45-days later before applying for the No Hassles Cash Rewards card.  If you've had credit problems in the past, the best advice is to clean it up a little before moving forward.  If you're a student or just starting out, then it's always good to establish your credit and use it wisely. 

I'm not encouraging anyone to apply for credit or even MORE credit when we "should" be focused on reducing debt, but I'm just answering your questions.

Message 6 of 7
tjdutch
Established Member

I have moved, but that was 4 months ago, student in Montana orginally from Alaska.  All my reports have an updated address.  Aslo one thing that concerns me was that 2 months ago in december when I was back in Alaska, I was approved for a HSBC Orchard card.  I changed my address on file to the one in alaska.  Long story short, when I called to activate the card it did not match for the security questions, I tried to explain to them that I was on vacation, yata yata yata, closed the account and noticed on my equifax that It was closed due to Lost/Stolen.  I noticed one day that my credit file was frozen due to consumer request, when I never requested that, I believe it was HSBC.  I am looking through it now and don't see that alert anymore, and thats why I think that it may be frozen still even though I never requested it.  How Do I "unfreeze" my account? I really dislike HSBC for this, I paid them a total of 75 dollars, just to have it open for 1 month and close it, cause they couldnt identify me. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.