Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Pre-qualified letter in the mail

tag
ronstar7
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Pre-qualified letter in the mail

Thank you for the response,  I can manage just fine my husband just lost his job and thats when I feel behind before that I was fine which I how I got approved for the car in the first place with no money down and no co-signer. No I dont want any more credit I guess you could say I was just curious becasue they sent a letter and this was my first ever so I got excited. I have 2 pending GW"s out now waiting on responses. I agree with getting the utli down and the lates. Do you know how long lates affect my report/ chances of getting anything in the furture? Also would they removed any lates since i am current now (car loan)?

Starting scores 12/1/15 EQ 601, TU 626, EX 601

Current Scores 9/17/17 EQ 686 TU 702 EX 655 Goal 700+ across
UTL 7%
Last Inq: 9/20/17
Message 11 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Lates have less effect on your CS as they age. Since they are recent lates, the damage to your CS is at its highest now. I would suggest asking for a GW letter- they may want to see more payments on time before they'll consent.
Message 12 of 23
ronstar7
Established Contributor

Gotcha, thank you for your help!!!

UTL 7%
Message 13 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 14 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

I read this entire thread ronstar

First let me add ..having that glass of wine while gardening was a very good idea..Bravo

Second since you are gardening it's the best time to work on those GW while increasing AAoA,Scores and reducing UTL.

All that being said I think you made the right choice to stay in the garden and enjoy those free drinks and I'll buy the first round Friday Night Lol

See you in the garden

P.S. More pre-approvals are forth coming in the mail and it's a direct results of your hard work so don't bite now wait on the one that's right for you!!!!!!!!!!

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 15 of 23
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

You should get your util down. 

Try to get an lates you can removed, even if you have to wait a few months to do so.

Don't take the offer, it will probably be there later anyway.  They will probably send you another in a few months.

Here is some advice about your cards and buying habits.  Use the cards for everything and pay them all that you can.  Basically use them as your checking account.  Don't keep any money in your checking account.  What you will find happening if you do it right is that you will stop paying interest on the balances.  You will also start watching your spending a little more.  You might even find when you are the store making choices between Del Monte and Safeway brand corn.  I used this tactic in my spending, I became frugal and I will tell you it has benefitted me in so many ways.  I can buy anything I want!  I choose not to!  Instead I find myself making better buying choices.  I don't need Gucci, I am OK with Lee.  (I actually like the feel of Lee jeans better.)  I am the last person to quibble at the restaurant when it comes to paying the bill.  I save so much elsewhere that I don't need to worry whether someone else is not adding tax into their purchase or trying to give less of a tip.  I just simply drop the card and collect the money.  (I don't really run into this often, but when it does happen I simply pay.)  I earn a bit extra on the rewards and there is no confrontation which might cause someone embarrassment.  I actually get treated to dinner fairly often because of this tendency.  Someone at some time simply refuses to let me pay for dinner since they know I have covered in the past. 

I buy the good things, not a brand name, if the two are equal then that is fine too.  I just make sure that what I buy has quality and will last a long time.  I am very happy with my 1 1/2 year old cell phone.  (No, not an iPhone!)  My phablet serves two purposes, so I made a wise choice and did not need to buy two devices when one worked better.  My sister is in the habit of telling me things like this brand is only a few cents more or this brand is on sale.  I ignore her since I realize that even a few cents adds up over time.  Just because it is on sale does not mean I should buy it.  I do buy things on sale, the things I must have.  I actually stock up on sale items even it means that I go through the checkout twice or my fiance goes through after me.  (My fiance used to think I was cheap, but now not so!  It took a while but now we are in agreement and can see how it will benefit us in the future.)  I altered my spending and it helped me get a better score, better cards, and actually a much happier life.  I second guess just about everything I buy.  I take the subway and not taxi's.  (I have a friend who makes twice what I do and has nothing.  He takes taxi's and eats out every meal except breakfast.  I have the better life and a much nicer apartment, which I bargained the price down on!  I have much more in my savings account than he does and I find that gives me extra pride.) 

If I see something I like, I wait a few days in most situations to buy it.  Generally, I forget about it, which means I did not need it.  If it I did remember then I go back and buy it.  I made a commitment one day to pay off the balance on my credit card and simply did so.  Since then I have only revolved a balance 1 month.  (That was to actually toss Cap One a bone and hopefully get a CLI.)  Once I made that determination to change my habits all has been much better for me.  I still use my credit cards, generally for every purchase I can.  Instead of paying interest I collect rewards.  We don't need to be rich to get the same treatmeant, we just need to be smart.  My change in habits allowed me to go back to school and get another degree and save $20,000.  I am confident that you can get where you want too!  (Oh by the way, that MBA has gotten me a job offer at double my salary!)  Good luck, garden for a bit longer.  Get the temptation more later when you are really ready to get to the next level.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 23
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

First let me add ..having that glass of wine while gardening was a very good idea..Bravo

Second since you are gardening it's the best time to work on those GW while increasing AAoA,Scores and reducing UTL.

All that being said I think you made the right choice to stay in the garden and enjoy those free drinks and I'll buy the first round Friday Night Lol

See you in the garden

P.S. More pre-approvals are forth coming in the mail and it's a direct results of your hard work so don't bite now wait on the one that's right for you!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you and that is exactly what I itend to do, I will have to get DH to shred the app for me as I cant bear to watch lol, gonna work hard and see what else comes my way. I checked my cr and saw that I actually applied to cap 1 5 months ago and got a decline so it would prob be the same now. No sense getting 3 pulls for nothing Smiley Happy

UTL 7%
Message 17 of 23
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

You should get your util down. 

Try to get an lates you can removed, even if you have to wait a few months to do so.

Don't take the offer, it will probably be there later anyway.  They will probably send you another in a few months.

Here is some advice about your cards and buying habits.  Use the cards for everything and pay them all that you can.  Basically use them as your checking account.  Don't keep any money in your checking account.  What you will find happening if you do it right is that you will stop paying interest on the balances.  You will also start watching your spending a little more.  You might even find when you are the store making choices between Del Monte and Safeway brand corn.  I used this tactic in my spending, I became frugal and I will tell you it has benefitted me in so many ways.  I can buy anything I want!  I choose not to!  Instead I find myself making better buying choices.  I don't need Gucci, I am OK with Lee.  (I actually like the feel of Lee jeans better.)  I am the last person to quibble at the restaurant when it comes to paying the bill.  I save so much elsewhere that I don't need to worry whether someone else is not adding tax into their purchase or trying to give less of a tip.  I just simply drop the card and collect the money.  (I don't really run into this often, but when it does happen I simply pay.)  I earn a bit extra on the rewards and there is no confrontation which might cause someone embarrassment.  I actually get treated to dinner fairly often because of this tendency.  Someone at some time simply refuses to let me pay for dinner since they know I have covered in the past. 

I buy the good things, not a brand name, if the two are equal then that is fine too.  I just make sure that what I buy has quality and will last a long time.  I am very happy with my 1 1/2 year old cell phone.  (No, not an iPhone!)  My phablet serves two purposes, so I made a wise choice and did not need to buy two devices when one worked better.  My sister is in the habit of telling me things like this brand is only a few cents more or this brand is on sale.  I ignore her since I realize that even a few cents adds up over time.  Just because it is on sale does not mean I should buy it.  I do buy things on sale, the things I must have.  I actually stock up on sale items even it means that I go through the checkout twice or my fiance goes through after me.  (My fiance used to think I was cheap, but now not so!  It took a while but now we are in agreement and can see how it will benefit us in the future.)  I altered my spending and it helped me get a better score, better cards, and actually a much happier life.  I second guess just about everything I buy.  I take the subway and not taxi's.  (I have a friend who makes twice what I do and has nothing.  He takes taxi's and eats out every meal except breakfast.  I have the better life and a much nicer apartment, which I bargained the price down on!  I have much more in my savings account than he does and I find that gives me extra pride.) 

If I see something I like, I wait a few days in most situations to buy it.  Generally, I forget about it, which means I did not need it.  If it I did remember then I go back and buy it.  I made a commitment one day to pay off the balance on my credit card and simply did so.  Since then I have only revolved a balance 1 month.  (That was to actually toss Cap One a bone and hopefully get a CLI.)  Once I made that determination to change my habits all has been much better for me.  I still use my credit cards, generally for every purchase I can.  Instead of paying interest I collect rewards.  We don't need to be rich to get the same treatmeant, we just need to be smart.  My change in habits allowed me to go back to school and get another degree and save $20,000.  I am confident that you can get where you want too!  (Oh by the way, that MBA has gotten me a job offer at double my salary!)  Good luck, garden for a bit longer.  Get the temptation more later when you are really ready to get to the next level.

Thank you for you advice, I am actually the same way DH lost his job and we got a litlle backed up and relied on cc's to get us through tough spots. I coupon like crazy, staying put in the garden for a while longer!!

UTL 7%
Message 18 of 23
smbb2005
Established Member

my experience with the capitol one pre-approval letters....... they must just mass send. i litterally get 3-5 a week. sometimes 2 in one day. about a year ago i applied via the pre-approval letter, denied becuase of CH 7 discharged in 6/2004.

10/2012-lender pull--TU-536-EQ-556-EX-550
myFICO Pull 8/10/2013--TU-690-EQ-657-EX-640
8/2013 Lender Pull---TU-671--EQ-657---EX-667
Message 19 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ronstar7 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

See you in the garden

Thank you and that is exactly what I itend to do, I will have to get DH to shred the app for me as I cant bear to watch lol, gonna work hard and see what else comes my way. I checked my cr and saw that I actually applied to cap 1 5 months ago and got a decline so it would prob be the same now. No sense getting 3 pulls for nothing Smiley Happy

Bravo on letting DH shred stay strong and place your drink order Friday Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.